- Method 1. Painting kitchen chalk paint
- Method 2. Sealing facades with self-adhesive film
- Method 3. Kitchen decoupage
- Some more useful information
When the kitchen furniture decayed or just stopped liking, do not rush to buy a new one, because, most likely, you can update it yourself. All you need is a couple of free hours or days, a thought-out idea of alteration, a little money and one of our instructions.
See also: 4 super-ways to transform a chair and a stool with your own hands
Method 1. Painting kitchen chalk paint
Do you want to update the kitchen set yourself beyond recognition? The best way to do this is to repaint the facades with chalk (mineral) paint.Why just Cretaceous?
- The fact is that this type of paint has a thicker consistency and increased adhesion properties, due to which it falls perfectly on any surface - even on laminated chipboard / MDF. Moreover, chalk colors allow you to do without tedious sanding, and sometimes even without a primer.
Cretaceous paints are also good because they give the painted surface a texture that is similar to that obtained when painting a wooden surface. Therefore, even the most ordinary kitchen with film facades after such an "update" will look much more noble.
- In Russia and CIS countries, you can buy chalk paint from designer Darya Geiler, foreign producer Annie Sloan, Kazakhstan's "Vernenskaya Manufactura" and others. Also, chalk colors can be made by hand using recipes that are easy to find on the web.
Here are some photo-examples of kitchensbefore and after restoration..
Photos of the kitchen with film facades before and after dyeing with Daria Geiler. Here the author of the alteration restored the peeling film on the facade at the stove, and then painted the furniture, without removing or sanding the film
Old kitchen with veneered facades before and after painting with Annie Sloan paint. By the way, in this kitchen chalk paint was even painted tiled floor, and the patterns on it painted with a homemade stencil
- Kitchen before conversion
- Kitchen after dyeing
Are you inspired? Then it's time for the master class.
For painting the kitchen you will need:
- Primer (special for chalk paints or alkyd, if the furniture was painted with oil stain);
- Chalk paints (preferably with a 10% margin);
- Matt waterproof varnish (acrylic or polyurethane).
- The consumption of materials is calculated following the recommendations of the manufacturers. It is especially important to correctly calculate paint consumption. If it is not enough, it will be necessary to decorate the remaining areas with paint from another lot, which due to the characteristics of production will differ slightly in tone.
- Which varnish is better - polyurethane or acrylic? To cover the kitchen withstand extreme loads, it is more reliable to use polyurethane varnish. However, if you rarely cook and you do not have pets, acrylic lacquer is perfect, especially since it dries faster, does not have a strong smell and is cheaper.
- Brushes: two synthetic brushes for primer and varnish, as well as one natural or synthetic brush about 4 cm wide (natural brush gives a more pronounced texture);
- Degreaser, for example, White Spirit;
- Sandpaper with a grain of 100-180 microns;
- Film and paint tape (to protect non-painted parts);
How to paint a kitchen set:
Step 1. Preparation
First you need to remove the handle from the facades. Floor, walls, apron, table top, glass inserts, fittings and other surfaces that you do not want to paint, you need to close the film and painting tape. Next, clean all parts from grease (preferably with a degreaser), stains and dust.
- Do I need to remove the facades? Doing this is not necessary, but it's more convenient to paint.
Step 2. Priming and / or grinding
It is not necessary to coat the old paint, film or lamination, and it is necessary to treat with a 2 coat primer. In this case, each layer of primer should be allowed to dry, and then treat the primed surfaces with a sandpaper to level the coating and enhance the adhesion of the paint.
- However, if the lamination has a strong gloss, it is desirable to remove its upper shiny layer of fine-grained emery paper - so the coating will become even stronger.
- If you are not too demanding on the result (for example, if the kitchen is temporary, very old or taken care of), then you can do without a primer. All you need to do is: wash the facades of grease, then paint them in 2-3 layers and finally cover with 1 layer of varnish.
- Do you want to achieve the most smooth and lasting coverage? Then it is worth to coat the surface after each coat of primer, paint and varnish (except for the finishing layers).
- Before you begin, test the paint on any object.
- If you want to save money, paint only the facades and visible parts of the frame, and the inner walls and shelves of the cabinets can be painted with paint cheaper or left unchanged.
Step 3. Staining
As soon as the primer dries, apply 2-3 coats of paint, letting each layer dry completely (one layer of chalky paint dries only about 30 minutes).
- To cover a dark coating with white paint, it may take 5-6 layers.
Step 4. Painting treatment
When the finishing coat of paint dries, you can begin applying the varnish in 2-3 thin (!) Layer with a synthetic brush (not used). In this case it is desirable to give each layer completely dry for about 24 hours.
Step 5. Finally, we return the fittings and facades to their places.
Voilja, old kitchen as the newcomer!
- Kitchen before dyeing
- Kitchen after dyeing
Method 2. Sealing facades with self-adhesive film
The fastest, budgetary and easy way to restore kitchen furniture is to decorate its surfaces with self-adhesive film (self-adhesive wallpaper). Unlike the coloring, the gluing of the film is also good in that it allows, after a while, to restore the appearance of the kitchen to its original state. For those who live in a rented apartment or just like changes, this way of updating the kitchen will help out with a bang.
- The service life of furniture with glued film will be 2-3 years in good condition.
- Most of all, this method of alteration is suitable for kitchens with solid facades without panels and relief details.
Below are photos of kitchensbefore and after restoration by a film.
You can only partially cover the kitchen with a film. For example, one of the tiers, the back of the headset, the socle or panels. Examples of such alteration of the kitchen are presented in the next selection of photos.
If the facades of your headset have glass inserts, then you can decorate only the rear walls of the cabinets.
From vinyl "self-adhesive" you can cut patterns and drawings.
By the way, the film can be updated apron, table top set or table and technique.
The island's worktop in film
If the refrigerator is not built into the headset and does not fit into the interior of the kitchen, simply glue it and the furniture facades with a single-tone film
To convert the kitchen you will need:
- Vinyl self-adhesive paper (with a margin);
- Sharp scissors and a knife;
- Ruler and centimeter;
- Squeegee for smoothing with a hard and soft side;
- Rags without pile.
How to glue the kitchen with a self-adhesive film with your own hands:
Step 1.Using a screwdriver, remove the handles from the facades, if you wish, you can also remove the facades themselves - so it will be more convenient to glue them.
Step 2.Wipe all surfaces including the ends (!) Clean and dry, especially paying attention to the fat coating - it is better to remove it with a degreaser.
Step 3.We start to glue the film. Remove part of the substrate from the film and attach the canvas to the facade leaving a free 3-5 cm on top and side - these excesses will be wrapped later on the edges. Take the squeegee and proceed to smooth the film, driving the bubbles, gradually going down and peeling off the substrate. Movements should be smooth and slow. After reaching the bottom edge of the facade, move away from it 3-5 centimeters and trim the canvas.
- If you wish, you can pre-cut the canvas to the size of the facade with an allowance of -3 cm (for facades of standard thickness).
- The film completely grasps only after a few hours, so do not be afraid to make a mistake - all the flaws are correctable.
- If small bubbles remain on the film, they can be gently punctured with a thin needle and smoothened again.
- You can buy a film in 2 colors to create a stylish contrast: a light top - a dark bottom.
Step 4.Now, when the facade is almost completely pasted with film, let's deal with edges and corners:
- First cut the corner of the free film at 45 degrees as shown in the photo below. Thus, you will have two "wings" along the two edges of the facade.
- Now gently wrap one of the edges of the free edge of the film and smooth. Next, the remaining corner wrap on the adjacent edge of the facade as shown in the following photo, and cut the excess.
- Similarly, film the second edge, but this time cut the corner at a right angle.
- Finally, tightly smooth the seams and repeat the procedure with the rest of the corners.
Step 6.In the described way, glue the front parts of the headset, the visible parts of the frame and the base. If desired, vinyl can draw up shelves and internal walls of lockers. However, it is not necessary to do this.
Step 7.At the last stage, replace the facades, if you have them removed, as well as the handles, making holes in the right places with a knife or an awl.
Also, a visual master class, how to glue the kitchen with self-adhesive film, you can see in this video.
Method 3. Kitchen decoupage
Hand painting is very beautiful, but difficult or expensive. But to decorate the boring facades of a headset or to hide local damage (scratches, chips, stains, etc.) by drawings created in the technique of decoupage, even a beginner can. The result is guaranteed to be excellent! Ideas for decoupage of the kitchen offer to be found in the next selection of photos.
Decoupage of the kitchen in the style of cheby chic
Decoupage of cuisine in the style of Provence
Decoupage of the buffet
Decoupage will help to decorate not only the facades of the headset, but also other kitchen furniture and even appliances.
For work you will need:
- Three-layer napkins with a pattern or decoupage cards;
- 2-3 flat squirrel brushes (for applying glue and pattern on glue, as well as varnish);
- PVA glue;
- Acrylic varnish (matt, glossy or with the effect of craquelure).
- Decoupage of the kitchen with their own hands is more suitable decoupage cards, rather than napkins - the pictures on them are perfectly matched with each other and can be large in size.
- The main thing in the alteration of furniture in the technique of decoupage is the correct choice of drawings. They should fit in the interior of the kitchen in color and style.
How to transform the kitchen in the technique of decoupage:
Step 1.First, it is necessary to degrease the selected area with alcohol or degreaser.
Step 2.Carefully we separate the layer with the pattern from the napkin, then cut out the desired print from it. At this stage, the picture can be "tried on" the facade and at the same time make a note, where it should be located.
Step 3.Now lubricate the PVA glue with the reverse side of the cut out pattern and apply it to the facade in the right place. Next, gently smooth the napkin brush, moving it from the center to the edges, and the excess glue promakivaem and remove a slightly damp rag.
Step 4.In the same way, we glue all the remaining napkins.
Step 5.If desired, decoupage of the kitchen can be finished with hand painting. When the glue and paint dry, the pattern can be sealed with acrylic or polyurethane varnish in 2-3 layers (between the layers let the pattern dry completely).
Some more useful information
- Do you want to turn a minimalist kitchen with solid facades into a classic one? This is possible if you paste moldings or carved details on them, and then paint, following our instructions.
Also, before the painting, the headset, hanging cabinets can be supplemented with figured brackets (they can be bought ready-made or cut yourself), and the basement - legs-balusters.
- For the best result, one should approach the "update" of the kitchen in a complex way and, if necessary, change not only the color of the facades, but also the table top with an apron, curtains, dining table and chairs.
- Sometimes a thirst for change can only be met by replacing / painting furniture handles.
- Of course, before you paint the kitchen or pasted with vinyl, it must be repaired: tighten / change accessories, glue and a little iron iron peeling off the film, scratches to polish, and chips, cracks and holes from the furniture handles filled with furniture putty.
- . Guide for choosing and planning a kitchen set.
- . How to make a shelf with your own hands - 4 cool methods for beginners.
- . Old new table - restoration and renovation by own hands.
- . Replacement of kitchen facades.
- . "Old" new chairs - we update the dining room.
- . Handles for the kitchen - details about the details.