Wicket Wood DIY is much cheaper than a custom product. It’s also pretty simple to make. If a person has the necessary skills and correctly uses the tools, the work will become even easier. Therefore, it will be useful to disassemble the technology of self enclosing the site.
The first problem occurs at the wood selection stage. It is necessary to use the criteria of price and durability of the tree. Good wood with proper processing gets increased strength and resistance to aggressive external environment.
Among the wood species, you need to carefully look at the following:
- Pine. Often, people choose pine because, due to the high resin content, wood is less destroyed, and the material is easily processed. However, the problem arises when the wicket is made of wood with its own hands with paints and varnishes, because you have to look for compatible substances.
- Larch has a high degree of strength, but is easily processed by a plane and other tools. On its timber lumber stores set a high price tag, which deter many buyers.
- Cedar. The moisture-resistant structure of cedar is deprived of favorable conditions for the development of putrefactive bacteria, pathogens and mold fungi.
- Oak. Of course, oak material has the best performance properties, however problems may arise at the stage of wood processing due to its high strength.
There are other breeds, but not all of them are perfect:
- Aspen. Despite the small complexity of processing and preserving the structure, aspen wood is rarely used when building wooden doors with your own hands for wickets, since its strength leaves much to be desired.
- Poplar. If the sash is made of poplar, you must buy mostly dry boards. Losing moisture, wet material will cause deformation of the installed product.
- Birch. If you choose a birch, after a small amount of time, the cracked door in the fence will have to be replaced with a new wicket.
Design of the canvas
How to make a wicket from wood with your own hands? There is one fairly simple scheme. There is a rectangular or Z-shaped frame, which has the greatest reliability. Note that it would be better if in the middle there is another dividing rectangle into two square crossbars, which will increase the rigidity of the structure.
The wooden panels are nailed to the frame, which form the wicket canvas. There are two versions of the design:
- Deaf, where the sash consists of planks that are tightly fitted to each other, and the skin does not allow gaps to form.
- End-to-end, where gaps appeared between the elements of the joining skin are found, as well as the parts of the brace that prevent deformation of the product.
Which option to choose? There are several important points to consider here:
- for a wooden wicket door requires more wood;
- , closely spaced crossbars, when bent dry, bend, as a result, the whole structure will “go”;
- deaf wicket weighs more, so it will fail earlier;
- requires an accurate eye to form a through-web, since the gaps must be the same and even, otherwise the design will be ugly;
- deaf canvas is more suitable for decorative purposes, it is possible to draw pictures on it, to nail decorations;
- for security purposes, select a wicket door.
Preparation for work
Before work, you need to find and buy tools:
All the necessary tools for building your own wooden wicket are clearly shown in the photo:
Installing the pillars
.Therefore, if you do it last, the canvas may simply not enter in size.
Please note that it is better to choose iron supports for both the gate and the fence. With wooden supports, the fence will quickly tilt and become frankly ugly. When installing the finished pillars will need sand, gravel and cement.
How to build support:
- First, buy metal supports.
- Calculate the places of their dropping. The distance between them is better to choose a little wider sash.
- Under them, pits are dug approximately a meter deep. Please note that you should use a special tool, do not make pits under the support with a shovel, as in this case the ground is loosening, and the gate is quickly loosened.
- Then sand is poured onto the bottom( about 5 cm) and tamped with sand.
- After that, crushed stone( 5 cm thick) is poured into the pit with the next layer.
- Before immersion of the iron column, it is treated with a blowtorch.
- Submerged pillars.
- Their evenness is checked with a plumb line.
- If the pillars are level, rubble is poured into the pits, and then they are poured with concrete.
- At the end of the top of the pillars are painted to protect against corrosion.
Assembling the structure and cladding
How to put together a gate from a tree with your own hands so that everything is smooth? The following recommendations will help you with this:
- First assemble it without nails on the floor so that everything is smooth. Verify this with the angle bar and ruler.
- Draw a pencil on the tree where all the boards are located.
- Remove all the extra strips and leave only a rectangular or Z-shaped frame( depending on what you have chosen).
- It is necessary to fix all the articulations of the structure, for this you can put something on them or ask someone to stand on the corners.
- If the design is securely fixed, then when it is knocked together, it will remain the same level.
- After the frame is assembled, check the corners and lines again.
- Then, without haste, nail the remaining slats.
Take your time, this is a crucial moment on which the beauty of the gate depends.
There are two methods for putting the canvas on the carrier:
- At first, the loops are nailed to the gate, and then the whole structure is nailed to the pole.
- First they fasten hinges to the post, and then a door is nailed to them.
In general, both methods are equivalent, each master prefers his own way. But we recommend the first method, since it can be improved:
- In the aisle, you put a strong, non-wobbled block-support made of bricks, a box, just pieces of wood and other improvised items.
- Put a wicket on it( already with hinges) and adjust everything so that it stands exactly, check with a plumb.
- Next, you fasten the hinges to the support posts.
Do not forget to install a limiter that will not allow the gate to open too wide. It is desirable that the wicket does not accumulate water; for this, the space under it is laid out in tiles.
A selection of design photos for wickets: