In the apartment of the son of the kitchen is so small that the refrigerator did not fit into it. I had to put it in a room, and he was there literally like a thorn in the eye - it looks very alien. I offered him several ways how to paint the fridge with my own hands or modify it with other methods.
In the meantime, he thinks, I want to tell about them to those who have a similar problem or just want to update the old, but also the working technique.
All painting methods
If you need to get a solid solid surface, then painting the refrigerator with your own hands is, in fact, a trifling matter. We take in hand a brush, roller or spray and paint everything. Preparation may take much longer.
It includes the following steps:
- Grinding. Only needed for an old refrigerator that has chips, scratches and rust on the surface. If not, skip this step. If there is, take up the skin or drill with a grinding nozzle and clean the damaged coating.
- Putty. Deep chips and dents need to be plastered, otherwise they will be noticeable and under the paint, and under any other coating.
- Degreasing. Performed with solvents or conventional detergents.
- Hardware protection. All that is removed - remove. The remaining parts, which should not get paint, glue masking tape.
This instruction will be relevant for all other methods of decorative design refrigerators and other equipment, which I also will tell. More and more clearly can be viewed on the video at the end of the article.
But so far about how to paint the refrigerator.
It is best to lay down on the surface and paint on metal will hold well on it. It happens both in banks and in aerosol cans. Choose the one that is more convenient.
- Paint with a brush or roller is longer and more difficult. - it is difficult to achieve perfect uniformity of application. But you can do it right on the spot.
- Spray paint is applied quickly and evenly.. But to work you need more free space. There is a risk of staining the floor and walls, so everything around you should be covered with foil. In addition, spray paint can enter the respiratory system. Therefore, it is better to work not at home at all, but in the open air.
Instead of the usual, you can take slate paint, it also comes in different colors. With its help, you can not only update the old refrigerator, but also turn its walls into convenient whiteboards. These can be recipes, a list of products, or just messages left by your home.
Painting with a simple pattern
If you don’t like the monotonous surface, you can put multicolored stripes on the refrigerator, decorate it with geometric figures or ornaments. And to make the transitions between different colors clear, you need to use masking tape.
It is temporarily glued along the previously marked borders, and then carefully removed.
When one color is completely dry, the tape is limited to areas of a different color. And so, depending on the number of selected shades.
Painting in car service
If you do not want to repaint the refrigerator at home, you can take it to the auto body repair shop. That is what my friends did not so long ago.
The advantages of this method:
- No dirt and smell in the apartment;
- Staining strength, because after coating it is dried in special chambers;
- The possibility of applying to the surface of any airbrush pattern. Of course, if this service is provided in the workshop.
In large cities there are specialized firms engaged in airbrushing, not only on cars, but also on furniture, household appliances and any other things.
And now about other ways of decorating:
Method 1 - painting
Do not think that the painting of the refrigerator is available only to those who draw very well. Of course, it will be much easier for such people to decorate it, displaying their imagination and inventing a design that will most closely match the interior design and color.
For people without artistic abilities, other ways were invented how to update the refrigerator with their own hands. They are based on the use of stencils. You can take:
- Ready stencil. It is fixed on the surface with adhesive tape, and the paint fills the space inside the slots.
- Homemade stencil. You can find a suitable pattern or ornament, print it out and cut it out. And then use as intended. If it is a single pattern, plain paper is used as the base. If it is repetitive, then it is better to transfer the pattern to a transparent plastic. For example, on a plastic office folder.
- Antitrafaret. The pattern is obtained in the opposite way: the paint is sprayed over the stencil. And when it is removed, an open drawing remains in its place.
As an anti-stencil, you can use tree leaves, lace napkins, cut flowers from paper, etc.
Method 2 - Decoupage
Do not want to paint? Can't draw? I propose another original way of decoration: decoupage the fridge with your own hands. It is hardly necessary to explain what it is, but suddenly someone does not know?
In fact, this is a common paper application, which is varnished for beauty and reliability. It does not allow the picture to get dirty and peel off when washing the surface.
Surfaces can be given a relief, to organize on it the cracks imitating antiquity, to cover with gilding. But this is hardly appropriate in our case, because kitchen the technique needs to be washed. Therefore, I do not advise not to be wise.
Pictures on the fridge can be printed on a color printer, cut from magazines, draw yourself. But more often for this purpose they use decoupage cards or color multi-layered napkins sold at art stores. Because the thinner the paper, the more natural the decor looks.
This method can be combined with painting and painting elements. Here, for example, how the decoupage of a refrigerator with wipes is performed:
Cut out the pattern from the napkin with sharp scissors.
Gently separate the top layer.
We leave several pictures intact, and cut the rest, removing several berries and changing the size and shape of the bunch. We will need several separate leaves.
We glue pictures on the refrigerator with white glue. Apply it with a soft brush right on top of the image, smoothing it from the center to the edges.
Use soft pencil to draw twigs and antennae
We take acrylic paints and paint the branches in brown. Antennae are circled in green.
White paint applied glare on the berries. And wait for the paint to dry.
Cover the entire refrigerator with acrylic varnish in two layers and admire the result.
This technique is good because it allows you to mask individual dents and scratches, without repainting the entire unit. But if desired, and if this requires a composition, you can first apply a layer color paints.
Method 3 - pasting film
Another way to decorate a refrigerator without using paint is to glue it over with vinyl film. It is self-adhesive, so no other consumables will be needed.
The method of pasting depends on the purpose of the alteration. Namely: do you want to completely change the image of the “cold friend” or just to embellish it.
In modern built-in kitchens, the refrigerator is often knocked out of a slender row of furniture, sharply differing from it in a different color. Or, as in our case, placed next to the furniture in the living room, it looks alien.
Here in such cases, and rescue the film on the refrigerator. It is sold in rolls and pleases with an abundance of colors and patterns.
The assortment is monophonic and colorful films, as well as with a variety of patterns, including those imitating natural materials.
It is not so easy to stick such a coating smoothly, without wrinkles, folds and bubbles. Manufacturers recommend to do this, gradually removing the substrate from the adhesive layer and smoothing the already glued part with a rubber trowel.
I prefer another way:
- I completely remove the substrate from the cut blank, putting it patterned down on the table.
- Then I spray water from the sprayer and the film and the surface to be glued.
- As a result, the film for the refrigerator during gluing easily slides over the surface. It can be moved, achieving a predetermined position and easily squeezing out air bubbles.
- After a while, the water will evaporate and the coating will adhere to the walls.
We recall the decoupage and act in a similar way, cutting out individual fragments from the film. With the only difference that we do not need any glue or varnish. Because the adhesive layer on the film is already there, and she herself is not afraid of moisture.
Even easier - use stickers stickers. They are sold in many supermarkets and stores selling goods for the home. The price is low, the range for every taste, and all the work on registration will take just a few minutes.
And finally, another option: colored tape. Stick it with parallel strips, intersecting lines or any ornament, and the refrigerator will not be recognized.
The video in this article provides a detailed master class on updating the refrigerator self-adhesive. Pay attention to the thorough preparation of the surface. It is always necessary, no matter what you choose to decorate your technique: painting, painting or decoupage.
These methods themselves, as you can see, are quite simple in execution and are available for sale at home. Waiting for your comments and happy to answer questions!