Delicious and juicy tomatoes - a product of the season? I assure you, they can be successfully stored in the home for a long time. I'll tell you how to store fresh tomatoes for the winter, using a simple and accessible way.
the desired grade
For long-term reserves is best to select specific varieties of tomatoes. For these purposes, ideal srednepozdnie and late varieties. For example, varieties:
- "New Year" perfectly preserved until the New Year;
- «Giraffe "and" Long Kiper " generally can be stored until spring.
When buying an interest, as the vegetables were grown. Tomatoes grown on open ground, can be stored for much longer greenhouses.
The optimum for long term storage of tomato is the temperature + 8... +10 ° C and humidity 80%.
The thing is that these vegetables are very sensitive to temperature. This stems from the volatile substances that provide the characteristic intense taste, and very sensitive to decrease or increase the temperature. In case of violation of the thermal balance of the tomatoes become lethargic and lose their flavor.
Where to store tomatoes - a very important question. It is best suited for this cool, dark place: the basement, closet, shelf for vegetables in the refrigerator, the space under the bed.
Before sending your vegetables for long term storage they need to be carefully sorted out. Select only the whole fruit, preferably milk ripeness - almost green tomatoes, which have already grown to a characteristic of the variety and size are just beginning to blush.
To destroy all harmful germs on the surface of the fruit, each vegetable wipe with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol or vodka.
How to keep tomatoes
Fresh tomatoes can be stored in different ways.
Method 1. In boxes
- Take a wooden or plastic boxes with slatted floor. Boxes must be clean and dry.
- Cover the their paper.
- You can put up vegetables peduncles, shifting each row of paper.
- For the best effect can be wrapped in paper each fruit.
- Fill a box with sawdust or wood peat.
Method 2. Tomatoes for New Year's table
If you are thinking how to keep fresh tomatoes until the New Year, this method is most appropriate:
- Select tomatoes lactic ripeness.
- Wrap each vegetable in black paper.
- Place in a drawer.
- Perestelite straw.
- Store in a dark tomatoes is well-ventilated room at + 8... +10 ° C.
- To expose the ripening tomatoes in the right amount of light and warm place for 5-10 days.
Method 3. The gradual maturation
- Arrange the tomatoes peduncles up in a cool place with good lighting.
- Wait until the vegetables ripen and are ready for use.
Method 4. banks
Save ripe tomatoes can be in glass jars, using available products, whose price - a penny:
Pour vegetables with a solution of water, salt and vinegar in a ratio of 8: 1: 1.
Pour tomatoes sunflower oil, which should cover the vegetables per 1 cm.
Clean and dry fruits fold in the jar, sprinkling each layer spoon mustard powder.
At the three-liter jar must leave at least 6 tablespoons of mustard.
Method 5. In a saucepan,
- Sort the fruits of maturity and size.
- Cut ripe vegetables into large pieces.
- Lay vegetables layers: a layer of chopped tomatoes, salt layer wholes, salt.
- Repeat the operation until the filling of the container.
Regardless of the chosen method, do not forget to periodically inspect their inventories. If a tomato begins to deteriorate - it needs to be removed immediately so that it does not infect others.
Method 6. In the fridge
Alas, the fridge - not the best place to store tomatoes. Here, the shelf life of tomatoes reaches a maximum of 7 days:
- To soured vegetables, wrap each fruit in a paper, and keep at a distance from each other.
- It is best to place the tomatoes on the bottom shelf or in a tray of vegetables in a single layer - so that the vegetables are choked.
- Plastic bag retains moisture and can cause premature spoilage of tomato.
Storage of heat-treated tomato
Tomatoes are perfect not only in fresh form. Cured, dried, canned and pickled tomatoes with your hands can be an excellent addition to any dish. Instructions thermally processed tomato storage will help to understand all the intricacies.
Canned and pickled tomatoes:
For many, this will be news, but keep canned tomatoes can be no more than 12 months. Pickled tomatoes may lie in the barrel is not more than 8 months.
Preservation well kept at room temperature (suitable storage) and fermented tomatoes - low (in the basement, a refrigerator).
Tomatoes can be stored in the freezer. Such an embodiment is suitable for preparing various dishes. Except for salads, of course.
As you have seen, to store tomatoes can be, knowing the best way for those or other fruits. The video in this article you will find still a lot of useful tips on processing tomatoes.
If you know of any other ways of storing tomatoes, waiting for them in the comments.