The popularity of using orthopedic mattresses and pillows continues to grow worldwide. And all because a healthy sleep in comfortable conditions is simply necessary for a good rest. With a comfortable body position during sleep, the muscles relax as much as possible, blood circulation improves. A person wakes up with a new charge of strength, energy and good mood. In order to preserve useful performance characteristics longer, the orthopedic pillow must be properly cleaned and washed.
Features care for orthopedic pillows
There are two groups of products - with natural filler and synthetic. Each of these materials has its own specific properties and recommendations for care. Therefore, if there is a desire to wash an orthopedic pillow, see first whether it can be done in order not to spoil it.
If the filler is natural latex
In expensive orthopedic products, latex is used as a natural filler. It is made using valuable raw materials - rubber milk Brazilian hevea. The unique properties of natural latex give the pillow both softness and elasticity. Adjusting to the shape of the body, it perfectly supports the head and neck. This pillow is recommended to use for the prevention and treatment of diseases of the cervical spine.
Wash a pillow from natural latex is not recommended at all. If it is accidentally soiled with something sticky or unpleasantly smelling:
- can be washed manually only in warm water with a liquid detergent;
- can gently rub the contaminated surface with a soft sponge;
- can not be wrung out, you can blot with towels, then dry without heating under the fan;
- is absolutely impossible to dry in the sun - ultraviolet radiation has a destructive effect on latex, the pad can become hard and become covered with brown sticky spots.
Care is to change the pillowcase, occasionally turning over, weekly airing outside.You can not leave a pillow with latex at temperatures below minus 40 degrees.
A product with a natural latex filler with proper use can retain its properties for up to 20 years. The only downside is the high price.
Maintenance of synthetic and mixed latex.
Eco-friendly and hypo-allergenic pillow with a filling in the form of flexible polyurethane foam can be purchased at a lower price. An orthopedic pillow with such a filler can be washed no more than once in 6 months in a washing machine in a sparing, short-term mode.When buying, be sure to pay attention to the label and care instructions.
In most cases, mix products are offered with filler in the form of a mixture of natural and synthetic latex. Mixed latex is a lightweight, flexible material resistant to mechanical tensile forces. Mixed pillow cannot be washed and wrung out. Only cleaning is allowed:
- wiping with a sponge with a mild detergent;
- thorough rinsing with cold water only;
- pressed by gently squeezing palms on the plane;
- drying for at least 12 hours in a well-ventilated place.
The price for such orthopedic products is different and depends on the percentage of natural latex in the material( from 20 to 80%).
How to wash a pillow with a memory effect
Such products retain their shape, obtained under the weight and temperature of the head and neck during sleep. In this case, the pillow does not spring, but slowly adjusts. After cessation of exposure, it returns to its original state. To preserve these properties, do not try to wash these products. Water can destroy the structure of the material, deprive it of its unique properties.
At the heart of memory memory fillers are used materials:
- viscoelastic polyurethane foam is a porous material with high air permeability;
- viscosex - highly elastic foam with a latex component in the composition;
- specialized gel - has the effect of cooling, often additionally contains polyurethane foam;
- silicone base.
It is impossible to erase a product if it is based on polyurethane foam, material with a memory effect or with inserts from memorix. Airing in the open air once every three months is enough. Wash and clean only removable covers.
If the filler is buckwheat husk
Such orthopedic pillows have an effect on the cervical area, similar to acupressure. The result is insomnia, migraine, chronic pain in the neck, shoulders and back. This natural healing material needs special care. Contact with water can cause the greatest harm. Therefore, the product is strictly prohibited not only to wash, but simply to wet.
How to care and wash
Since an orthopedic sleeping thing with vegetable filling cannot be erased, its use is first vacuumed once every two weeks, then once a month. Buckwheat pillows can periodically sift through a colander, and wash only the pillowcase and cover.
And your pillow made of natural or synthetic latex?
There are some simple ways to determine the material of an orthopedic pillow:
- The product must have a special tag indicating 100% Latex and the full name of the manufacturer. If not, then filler synthetics or a mixture.
- In appearance, natural latex is porous and matte in color. If the filler is smooth, glossy and white, it can be a fake.
- Natural latex practically does not absorb moisture, synthetic absorbs water like a sponge.
A good orthopedic pillow is necessary and useful to everyone. Try to take care of it properly, preserving all its useful qualities, and you will always be slept, vigorous and beautiful.