1 Long-term storage: 6 Rules
- 1.1 Rule 1: Create conditions
- 1.2 Rule 2: Keep each type separately
- 1.3 Rule 3: Choose a suitable container for storage
- 1.4 Rule 4: Observe the shelf life
- 1.5 Rule 5: protect from insects
- 1.6 Rule 6: check stocks
- 2 Features storage of various dried fruits
- 3 Output
Save useful properties, fresh taste and aroma of dried fruit can be, certain conditions are met. For information on how to store dried fruit at home, and I'll tell you.
Long-term storage: 6 Rules
Stocks of dried fruit do not lose their quality, if you follow the simple rules of storage.
Rule 1: Create conditions
Enemies of dried fruits - heat, humidity and sunlight. Therefore, store them properly:
- In the cool. Maximum temperature - not above 15 degrees. After all, even at 17 there is a risk of reproduction of pests and mold.
- The dryness. Indoor humidity should be 65%. However, this condition does not matter if the products are vacuum-packed.
- In the absence of light. Dried fruit quickly darken in the sun.
Rule 2: Keep each type separately
Do not mix different fruitsEven if you plan to cook a mixture of stewed fruit:
- Each fruit after drying has a certain moisture index. And when you combine the dry form of wet, the first shelf life will be reduced by half.
If you want to mix dried fruits, dry them in the oven or dryer to a moisture equalization index.
- Mixed fruit flavor. If you store dried apricots and prunes together, apricots lose flavor and smells of prunes.
There is an exception to the rule: the raisins and apricots can be stored in one container.
Rule 3: Choose a suitable container for storage
The choice of container or bag for dried fruit affects the shelf-life:
|Picture||What kept drying|
In glass jars.
The wooden forms.
The ceramic jars with metal tightening.
The plastic containers with air access.
In canvas or cotton bags.
The pot with a vacuum system (Cover and the pump).
Rule 4: Observe the shelf life
The shelf life of dried fruits:
- With high moisture index (apricots, prunes and dates, figs) - up to half a year.
- With a low index (raisins, cherry, peach) - up to a year.
Rule 5: protect from insects
Pests destroying stocks of dried fruits and berries - sugar mite, bugs, moths. Provide natural protection from intruders.
|Photos means to protect the dried fruit from insects||application|
Means 1: vinegar.
Means 2: mint.
Means 3: soap
Rule 6: check stocks
From time to time to sort the stocks with his own hands:
- Throw away spoiled.
- Damp - dry it in the oven at the lowest temperature with the door open.
Features storage of various dried fruits
Storage of dried fruits at home (process selection) depends on the water content of the dried fruit or berries, i.e. the humidity index.
The optimal method of storing dry fruits with high water content (figs, prunes) - in the vegetable department of a refrigerator. In a warm room, they quickly deteriorate.
A way to store dried apricots in the home:
- product packagi in a sealed container.
- Every 2 weeks the safety check. At the same time will ensure the access of air.
- Periodically wash and dry container for storage.
Shelf life in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
When storing the drying house the main thing that was fresh air. For products with water to 20% of the index does not need sealing container. Instead of the lid, use paper or put in bags.
Summer be stored on the balcony, only to take care of dried fruit from moisture and sunlight.
Now that you know how and what to store dried fruit at home, you will be able to regularly consume these vitamin products. Check out the video in this article, containing visual references. And ask your questions in the comments.
Do not miss the most important:
Once a week we will send the most interesting stuff that you have not seen
We read for 32 to 500 people. Join us!