- Causes of breakdowns
- Window frame subsided
- Faulty window frame mechanism
- Foreign objects in the joints
- View engineif it occurred during the cold season. As a rule, they simply refuse to close. Let us consider several possible reasons why a plastic window does not close in the apartment, as well as try to fix them yourself.
breakdowns When a plastic window breaks in us, the first thought: “We need to change it, or call for specialists”.However, there are several causes of breakdowns that can be dealt with at home. So for example:
- The window frame that sags down. This situation arises in cases where the frame very rarely opens and has wide flaps.
- Malfunction in the window mechanism. Structures in modern plastic windows, though reliable, but not eternal, and, like any other mechanism, have their own shelf life, and therefore can fail.
- Jamming due to falling into the openings between the doors of foreign objects.
- Jammed handle. This happens when the frame is simultaneously fixed in two positions. It is worth noting that this is typical for "swing-out" mechanisms.
- Surface contamination or lubricant drying.
- Departure mechanism "scissors".
We will try to describe the solution for each case as detailed as possible and in order.
Window frame sank
If the frame of the product sank and the sash itself began to rest on the bottom corner, it is necessary to take hold of the lower part of the frame and, lifting it up, close it. If, however, did not work, then you should pay attention to the lower side of the sash from the street.. ..
On some window models, the manufacturer installs a drainage strip, which can move towards the handle. This situation usually occurs with careless care of the product. You just need to put the drainage bar in place and the sash can be easily closed.In order to avoid such a situation, it is recommended to perform washing extremely carefully.
Defective window frame mechanismloading. ..
In most cases, it is not possible to solve the problem with “improvised” means. The most common version of the breakdown is a jammed "blocker".In this case, turning the window handle is very difficult or impossible at all. What can be done in a similar situation?
To get started, try to press the lock with a little more effort than with a normal closure, it is on the side and looks like a pin, protruding an average of a centimeter from the plane of the frame edge. If the hardware is intact, then the blocker will go into your hole with a characteristic click, and turning the handle will not be a problem. If the mechanism does not want to succumb to your efforts, you should resort to using the wizard, since further actions can lead to a complete breakdown of the mechanism and the subsequent replacement of the window as a whole, which will cost much more.
When closing and opening the sash, pay attention to the correct operation of the mechanism, if you have difficulties turning the knob, you should not make great efforts to close it.
Foreign objects in the joints of the
Many people, especially in the summer time, use a variety of objects as a limiter of the casement, from matchboxes to mobile phones. Often, when closing with a forgotten "limiter", there is a "jam" of a foreign object in the joints. To eliminate this problem, simply remove the stuck thing.
Modern plastic windows are already equipped with special locking mechanisms. Do not use foreign objects as retainers. If there is no such mechanism, you should buy it in a specialized store.
The most technically complex case and the most common one is the jammed pen. If it is broken in the open form of a window sash, then in eighty cases out of a hundred this is a locked interlock mechanism.
To understand the problem itself, it is worth explaining the principle of operation of this blocker. When one of the wings is in the “open” state — the upper part of the loop moves away from the frame along with the leaf. Because of this, when re-closing from the same position, the sash literally hangs on the bottom hinge. In this case, if you do not calculate the effort and sharply pull the handle, you can damage the mechanism of the leaf. It is to prevent such damage blocker and you will not allow it to do.
To “unlock” the handle, move the locking plate or the so-called “key” away from the outside of the sash. This element must be pressed with a finger to the rubber seal. It is important to check that this plate is in a vertical position. Different window models have different part options. Sometimes it is represented by a metal "tongue".In this case, it is also worth pressing it to the compactor, but already making more effort, since most often such a mechanism is spring-loaded.
Contamination of window joints and lack of lubricants
It is also worth noting that sometimes the cause of a window malfunction can be trivial pollution. If the frame is not regularly cleaned, dust and dirt that accumulate in the joints may affect the premature drying of lubricants. In this case, you need to clean the contaminated surface first with a wet cloth, and then dry and lubricate the joints with special window greases that are applied to the frame seals.While cleaning windows, pay attention not only to the cleanliness of the glasses themselves, but also to the absence of dirt in the joints of the window frame.
Replacing worn blockers
There is a variety of windows in which a locking mechanism is installed with an expiration date. In such a situation, he just wears out. To use force to solve the problem in this case will be useless, to fix this situation you will need to change the blocker. For this:
- Remove the leaf from the hinges.
- Remove the plastic cover with pliers with minimal effort, pull the hinge pin.
- Unscrew the pair of self-tapping screws that are on the outside of the hardware.
- Remove worn blocker.
- Put the new lock in place of the old one.
However, if you are not confident in your abilities, then the blocker replacement should be entrusted to professionals, since modern plastic windows are a complex mechanism and have a lot of nuances when repairing them.
. Scissor overhang.
. Another reason for a non-closable product may be the overhang of so-called scissors from the grooves. It is easy to diagnose a breakdown: turn the knob and observe the behavior of the blocker, if there is one, and the knob does not turn, then the scissors most likely fall out;
It will not be possible to correct such a situation without “surgical intervention”.
- To begin, remove the leaf.
- Remove all decorative overlays that are located on the back side.
- Pull the pin out of the loop.
- Turn the knob to “twelve o'clock”.Note: At the very top of the sash there is a metal element in the form of two identical plates, this is the "scissors".This element is mounted directly on the loop.
- Press the “scissors” to the compactor with your finger and lift them up a little.
- Turn the knob clockwise and note the position of the scissor guide.
- Place the guides in the grooves.
- Install the sash in the reverse order.
In order to prevent the breakage of “scissors”, make the opening-closing of windows without any extra effort.
These simple ways you can repair your window at home, without asking for help from experts.