- One of the reasons for the emergence of an electric arc
- The importance of maintaining the integrity of the mica screen
- How to replace mica with your handsWhen turned on, there is a frightening arcing in the chamber. This is a manifestation of the first signs of malfunction of the furnace, which lead to high-voltage breakdown. Naturally, this cannot be ignored, since after such a malfunction a very large percentage of microwave ovens cannot be recovered.
One of the reasons for the appearance of an electric arc
The crackling and sparkling in the microwave oven chamber may be due to improper operation. And more precisely, to this leads: the use of dishes with a conductive pattern applied, the absence of rotation of the turntable, the contamination of the chamber and the protective mica plate of the waveguide. As a result, an electric arc appears on the furnace shield and in the waveguide. If you continue to use the oven like this, the protective plate will break down and you will need to replace it.
The importance of maintaining the integrity of the mica screen
The principle of operation of a microwave oven is based on the use of 2.4 GHz waves. They are well absorbed by water, so microwave waves can be used to heat products that contain water. The effectiveness of the microwave, protection of the magnetron, its antenna with a cap and a waveguide depends on the quality of the cover. Therefore, it is important to monitor the integrity of the mica plate, to prevent it from burning out.. ..Mica is the best conductor of microwave waves coming from a magnetron; it can also be considered an excellent protection from food particles and fat.
The droplets of pollution retained on the mica plate become charred over time. Under the influence of high-frequency electromagnetic radiation between the coals, an electric arc can occur. It leads to melting and breakdown in the plate. If it is not replaced in a timely manner, the waveguide, cap and magnetron antenna will be contaminated and damaged next, and this is an extremely serious fault.
When using a microwave, do not allow the product to splash, be sure to close it with a special cover.
When you need to change the mica
If you turn on the microwave oven inside there is a real light show with electric arcs near the mica cover, turn it off and carefully inspect the camera. Replacing the plate will be required if you find that the mica:
- has darkened or small brown spots have appeared on it;
- after cleansing;
- is heavily contaminated with grease;
- after cleaning began to crumble.
Than to replace the failed
overlay. Many unskilled “masters” in the case believe that you can use any material, for example, the transparent part of the CD case. But it is impossible to replace mica with another material for two reasons:
- Mica is an environmentally friendly laminated dielectric perfectly transmitting super-high frequency waves. All other materials do not possess this ability, and that is especially dangerous, can release substances harmful to human health during the operation of the furnace.
- Mica vapor-permeable material. Steam is passed both inside the waveguide and out during the cooling of the furnace. This prevents the formation of condensate, which can harm the magnetron and destroy the alloys by corrosion.
Why invent something, if you can buy branded mica for microwave in the electrical parts shop? For this, a sheet with a size of 30x30 cm is suitable, which is quite inexpensive. Now you can begin to manufacture the mica screen and install it in the place of the spoiled one.
How to replace mica with your own handsloading. ..
Everything is done simply, no special skills are required, therefore it is accessible to everyone:
- Carefully remove the old mica cover of the waveguide, as we will use it as a stencil. To do this, unscrew one or two screws and release it from the retainers.
- Wash used mica from soot and other contaminants. Carefully review and remove visible contamination in the waveguide, at the place of installation of the plate and preferably in the whole chamber.
- After drying, put the used plate on the mica sheet purchased, draw it and cut it out with a sharp knife or other cutting tool.
- Drill or punch holes.
- After which we process with emery paper, eliminating small details.
- After rinsing in running water and drying, the mica is ready for installation at its intended place.
- Making sure that the mica is perfect and there are no unnecessary gaps, it is fixed. After that, check the efficiency of the furnace.
The microwave oven will serve reliably, if you do not violate the rules of operation, take care of it and protect it from breakdown.
Your microwave oven will work smoothly for many years. Just monitor its condition, promptly change the mica screen with traces of burning. This is another way to prevent more serious damage to the furnace.