- №1.Wallpaper in the bathroom: the advantages and disadvantages of
- №2.What wallpapers are suitable for the bathroom?
- №3.Vinyl wallpaper for the bathroom: advantages and sticking
- №4.Liquid wallpaper for the bathroom: features and installation
- №5.Glass fiber bathroom: features and sticking
- №6.What other wallpaper can be used in the bathroom?
- №7.What else to consider when choosing and sticking wallpaper in the bathroom?
- In conclusion,
Thinking through the interior of the bathroom, the first thing we all think about is the wall decoration. Of course, most often for these purposes ceramic tile is used, which has proved itself to be durable and resistant to the difficult conditions of a bathroom. But if you are tired of standard solutions, you can look towards the wallpaper. Do not rush to reject such an option, because today there are materials on sale that are completely resistant to moisture and can make the interior of a room at least original. Naturally, not every type of wallpaper is suitable for such a room, so before choosing you should familiarize yourself with
with some tips on choosing and sticking wallpaper in the
# 1.Wallpaper in the bathroom: the advantages and disadvantages of
What can make us abandon such a familiar and proven solution to decorating the walls in the bathroom with tiles? Thirst to diversify the interior, make it interesting and not boring, while maintaining longevity. Many opponents of the use of wallpaper in the bathroom indicate their hygroscopicity and water permeability, as a result of which the wallpaper absorbs moisture, swells and becomes unusable in a very short time. But all this is typical only for some types of wallpaper, for example, paper, non-woven, fabric, etc.
It is worth choosing the right wallpaper type, and this finish will bring a lot of advantages:
- saving time and money;
- a huge range of possible patterns, colors, textures, patterns, which allows you to decorate the bathroom in accordance with the design idea, making it truly original;
- wallpaper is much easier not only to mount, but also to dismantle, if necessary. This allows, if desired, to easily change the interior of the bathroom;
- high maintainability .The damaged part of the wallpaper is easy to glue, and it does not have to change the entire coating.
It is also worth noting that however waterproof the wallpaper may be, it is still better not to use them in the shower enclosure. In this case, the most appropriate option for decorating the bathroom will be the combining two finishing materials .In all other cases, a competent choice of wallpaper will allow you to create not only a high-quality finish in the bathroom, but an interesting interior.
The wallpaper for the bathroom, of course, must be moisture-proof: on the package, the sign with the three waves of the warns of this material quality. In addition, must also be adhesive, which must also withstand temperature extremes, have excellent adhesion, and have antifungal properties.
№2.What wallpapers are suitable for the bathroom?
From the above described requirements for wallpaper, it becomes clear that paper on a paper basis is in no way suitable for a bathroom. In such conditions , you can use the following wallpapers:
- vinyl, as well as vinyl self-adhesive;
- liquid wallpaper;
- other washable wallpapers, incl.acrylic and metallized.
# 3.Vinyl wallpaper for the bathroom: the benefits and sticking
Vinyl wallpaper - one of the best options for wallpaper for the bathroom. They are well tolerated contact with water vapor, temperature drops and even direct contact with water and prolonged contact with it. Ideal for bathroom conditions. In addition, this coating is perfectly washed, and its appearance remains unchanged for a long time: it does not even fear the direct sunlight. In addition, this type of finish is very diverse: you can find color, shade, pattern and texture for every taste. But that's not all. These wallpapers can even hide some of the shortcomings of the walls in the bathroom, and they can even be used in new buildings, so this is an excellent replacement for ceramic tiles. This is a durable finish, the only drawback of which is not the lowest price. In addition, the material does not allow air, but breathable vinyl wallpaper can be found on sale, but they will be much more expensive.
Vinyl wallpaper presented on the modern construction market, there are several types. For the conditions of the bathroom, wallpapers from smooth vinyl are best suited, which can be a worthy substitute for ceramic tiles. Despite the name, their surface is not always smooth, and may have some kind of embossed pattern. solid vinyl wallpaper is the most modern material that is breathable and can imitate the surface of leather, stone, wood.
Gluing vinyl wallpaper should not cause any special difficulties, and consists of the following steps:
- surface preparation and the alignment of major defects;
- cutting wallpaper into strips of the required length, taking into account the top and bottom allowances, as well as taking into account the pattern matching, if any. The manufacturer indicates the necessary information on the fitting pattern on the package;
- itself is glued to , and you should also look for information on the features of applying glue on the wallpaper packaging, because some manufacturers provide for applying glue on the wall, others on the wallpaper itself. Gluing is done end to end, it is better to work together, starting to glue the strip from top to bottom and in parallel rolling the wallpaper with a roller in order to force out excess glue and air bubbles;
- wallpaper glue butt at a temperature of 20-240C and in the absence of drafts.
When you buy self-adhesive wallpaper , you can simplify your task: you can lightly moisten them with water and strongly press them against the wall.
№4.Liquid wallpaper for the bathroom: the features and installation of
Liquid wallpaper - another great alternative to conventional ceramic tiles. Among their main advantages:
- complete immunity to moisture and water vapor;
- is the easiest to apply: it is unnecessary to cut wallpaper, spread glue, etc. Liquid wallpaper something like plaster on the features of installation;
- material perfectly permits moisture, which can be called a clear advantage in the bathroom. In addition, liquid wallpaper provides additional heat and sound insulation;
- the ability to create with the help of liquid wallpaper a unique interior, because the material of different colors can be combined with each other.
Experts advise to cover liquid wallpaper after applying a layer of protective varnish , in order to give them maximum resistance to moisture. In terms of application, liquid wallpapers are fairly simple:
- must first be prepared and primed. At the same time, you can begin to prepare liquid wallpaper, adding to the dry mixture the amount of water specified in the instructions;
- apply wallpaper with a grater in a uniform layer of a thickness of 2-3 mm;
- after drying you can appreciate the surface without joints .Also, do not forget to apply a protective layer of varnish.
№5.Glass fiber bathroom: features and sticking
Glass fiber is made from glass melted and stretched into filaments, therefore the material itself is similar in properties to glass, which, as is well known, is not capable of absorbing moisture and changing when interacting with it. Among the other advantages of glass wallpaper, it is worth noting the ability to pass air , but this material is not able to become a place for the development of mold. This is a durable finish that can even strengthen the walls, and you can glue the wallpaper on the surface of any type. Glass fiber is very durable, withstands contact with water, washing, but their most interesting ability is , the ability to paint , and several times. Refreshing the bathroom will be very simple, and the more pronounced and deep the pattern on the surface of the wallpaper, the greater the number of times they can be repainted. Of the minuses it is worth noting the lowest cost, the need to carefully select the paint with detergent properties, and a small selection of patterns and drawings of glass fiber.
The method of gluing glass wall paper is not much different from vinyl wallpaper: the sequence of actions is the same, only the glue is better to choose the one that is designed specifically for glass wall paper. Paint is better to choose acrylic or latex, but the color or a combination of them depends on the preferences of each.
№6.What other wallpaper can be used in the bathroom?
Among other wallpapers that have washable properties and moisture resistance, you can highlight metal wallpaper .They are easy to maintain, create a beautiful elegant interior, durable, not susceptible to the development of fungus, withstand contact with water. But before pokleit them in the bathroom, you should think carefully, because this material generally does not let the air , so the room will have to be constantly aired or equipped with a powerful ventilation system. Even if it does not frighten you, it is better to finish this way only one wall of the room: firstly, it will help create a favorable microclimate, and, secondly, it will deprive the room of unnecessary glare and make it stylish, not fancy.
A bold enough solution would be to use photo wallpaper in the bathroom. They are able to make the room unique, visually expand the space, give it a distinctive atmosphere. It is worth choosing those wallpapers that have moisture-resistant properties , which is indicated on the package, but even this material is better to glue on the wall, which is located away from water sources. Sticking photowall-paper requires maximum attention, because you need to accurately match the drawing, and for this it is better to mark the wall. In addition, the surface should be perfectly smooth, and the wallpaper on top protected with a layer of varnish.
№7.What else to consider when choosing and sticking wallpaper in the bathroom?
Although many types of wallpaper are water resistant, it is better not to use their where they will directly contact water: above the sink or above the bathtub, in the shower corner. It is better to use tiles in these places, which can be easily combined with wallpaper, and then the interior will be not only practical, but also stylish.
When combining materials, you should try to create harmonious interior , designed in one style, so do not use too many shades and different patterns in the same room, and remember the basic properties of colors. Light shades visually expand the room, and bright and dark act the opposite, so the first ones are suitable for small bathrooms, and the second ones are spacious for making them more comfortable.
The room style of the should also be taken into account. So, for a bathroom in the style of Provence, wallpaper with floral motifs is suitable, in the style of classic - wallpaper of light shades, in the interior in pop art style you can combine several bright shades, and for minimalism choose discreet wallpaper using monochrome colors.
Wallpaper in the bathroom is quite a bold decision that will allow you to create a unique interior, but it will require you to be extremely careful when choosing materials and organizing the interior. Really high-quality materials will allow you to create a unique interior, which at the same time will be no less practical than the bathrooms, fully decorated with ceramic tiles. And yet, once again I want to note that the best option would be to combine wallpaper with tile.