Initially, it is necessary to decide on the which function the door and the lock have on it. Here, as a rule, there are two main options. Most often it is necessary that the lock simply holds the door in the closed position and prevent it from opening with a draft. In this case, the simplest mechanisms are used, which often come with the door. If it is necessary to create a private space and protect it from unwanted penetration, then you should use more complex locks, which can be locked in the locked position or even locked with a key like locks on the entrance doors.
In addition, attention should be paid to how harmoniously the chosen type of lock will look with a specific type of door and room. Also important is the name of the manufacturer , engaged in the manufacture of such accessories. Taking into account all the listed parameters, you can easily find the desired lock.
Types of locks
Depending on what goals are pursued in each case, and to which room one or another interior door leads, choose different types of locks. Let us dwell on their main types.
This is the simplest type of lock, which is supplied, as a rule, all interior doors, even the cheapest, and the mechanism consists of a cylinder and a tongue. Such locks are used on doors leading to access rooms, such as a kitchen or living room. Their main goal of the is to prevent unwanted opening of the door, for example, from drafts, and to keep it in the closed state when it is necessary, to close the door more tightly and not to lock it. A simple mechanism gives a full guarantee that you will not become a hostage of some kind of room when suddenly a lock is jammed.
Most often, this kind of locks is installed along with a handle, which, when pressed, activates the tongue that holds the door in the closed position. Such locks are of the type of fals, and they consist of a handle, an oblique tongue and a spring. In addition, there are locks-latches, whose work does not depend on the handles. The tongue can be either metal or plastic. The second option is preferable when it is necessary to give the door opening-closing process maximum noiselessness.
Latch with latch
This type of lock can be called a modification of a conventional latch. This design is equipped in addition to the tongue, actuated by a spring or magnet, also a lock that can lock the lock in the "closed" position. Such locks put in those rooms where there is a need to lock from the inside: these are most often baths, toilets, sometimes bedrooms or cabinets. Unlike the previous type of lock, there is a possibility that the lock will simply jam, and therefore the choice of such a mechanism should be approached as carefully as possible. So, before buying, you need to check how gently and smoothly the tongue runs, and also whether the spring or magnet forces are enough to return the tongue inside the door leaf.
Lock with a lock has the form of a wide flat bar with holes for a handle and a lock. Usually, one turn of the lock is enough to lock the door. Locking mechanisms of this kind are often used in knobs, but the lock itself in this case can be lever or push-button .Lever is preferred because it is safer and more convenient to handle. The push-button lock, at first glance, is also convenient and has good aesthetic properties, but there is a high probability that the door will accidentally slam when the button operates at the wrong moment.
Mortise locks for interior doors are also sometimes called locks with turnkey larvae. In fact, it is a copy of the usual lock for the front door, only they have a much simpler mechanism. They also resemble locks with a lock, but instead of a hole for a lock, a key hole is created. Such mechanisms are necessary in the case when the room needs to be securely closed on both sides, which is why interior doors with such a lock are installed in the bedroom, office, storeroom, etc.
The dead lock consists of a cylinder and a lock block, and the design of the cylinder may vary. If the lock is not used very often, then a key-key cylinder is installed, but if the lock is often used from one side, it will be much more convenient to install a key-turn cylinder.
When choosing a mortise lock for an interior door, it is important to pay attention to the softness of the tongue walking, and that it completely hides inside the door leaf. In addition, it is necessary to take into account the parameters of the installed or attracted door: it is important that the thickness of the web matches the parameters of the locking mechanism. Optional, but desirable detail are the so-called flaps on the striker plate. With their help, the tongue is held more tightly, which provides a more secure fixation of the door.
The magnetic lock is by far the most expensive option, but it, in turn, is able to ensure the as silent as possible, as there are no moving parts in the locking mechanism. That is why such locks are indispensable in areas where it is important to observe maximum silence: bedrooms, children's rooms, etc.
A ferrite core is installed inside the bolt of such a lock, which comes into effect only when the door leaf is in the closed position, when a negative magnetic strip is next to it. The interaction of key elements of the locking mechanism does not cause any noise. In addition, such locks are highly reliable, durable and durable, which explains their growing popularity. Such mechanisms are also called the most aesthetic and safe, because the tongue does not look out of the door leaf.
Espagnolette is also a kind of lock for interior doors. Despite the fact that initially it served to fix one of the parts of double doors, it is still very popular with for locking bathrooms and toilets. The mechanism of operation of such locks is so simple and familiar to everyone that does not need additional explanations. Install such a lock can almost everyone without any special skills. Moreover, it is the most budget way to protect some rooms from sudden penetration. The latch is still very popular and is installed on the doors in the sanitary rooms, the more designers are developing very stylish and original models that can be chosen for a particular style of interior.
The specific features of the operation of these locks can be understood from the name. The mechanism itself is attached to one of the sides of the door to provide reliable protection against penetration. This option can not be called the most aesthetic, but in some cases it is simply indispensable. So, in communal apartments such mechanisms enjoyed and are very popular. Less often, but install such locks on the doors of the offices.
Sliding Door Lock
Separately, it is worth noting the locking mechanisms for sliding doors. Their The main task of is to securely hold the canvas so that it does not move along the walls with the slightest extraneous influences, such as vibration or draft. When turning the locking mechanism, the latch enters the hole in the slat on the box, fixing securely in it. Due to the fact that the latch has the shape of a hook, this type of mechanism is often called harpoon.
The best manufacturers of locks
Often the quality of a mechanism, the durability and reliability of its operation depends on who made this lock. Today, there are a lot of domestic and foreign manufacturers on the market, whose products deserve close attention. However, we will select only some of them.
- Abloy is a Finnish manufacturer that has been pleasing buyers for several decades now with consistently high quality products. Interroom locks of this company have high wear resistance, withstand temperature changes. Locks have a chrome or powder coating, opened with a key or turntable( thumbturn).All variants of interior locks of this manufacturer have a neat appearance, suitable for use in residential and office buildings.
- Viatek is a Ukrainian company specializing in the production of various security systems. Among other products there are also locks for interior doors. The range includes overhead, mortise and magnetic locks.
- AGB ( Alban Giacomo SpA) is a large Italian company that manufactures mechanisms for closing windows and doors. The name of various products is so wide that it is difficult to find analogues of this company. There are locks for interior doors of various types and price categories. Great importance is given to research, which allowed the company to offer its customers locks with a polyurethane tongue, a feature of which lies in their absolute noiselessness.
- Fuaro is the largest manufacturer of fittings for interior doors, which pays close attention to locks. The range includes products such as latch knobs, mortise locks, latches, gate valves, etc.
- Morelli is an Italian company that has been manufacturing handles and locks for doors for more than 70 years, and during this time has managed to earn trust and recognition in the European and domestic market. In the company's assortment there are magnetic locks, locks with a plastic tongue, latches, latches and other types of mechanisms.
- Archie-Sillur - manufacturer, existing in the market for about 20 years. He has established himself as a quality door fittings at an affordable price. Today, the company has two plants: in Spain and in the South of Asia. The choice of locks for interior doors is impressive: there are latches, and mortise locks, and magnetic mechanisms. Moreover, the manufacturer's mortise locks differ in their levels of secrecy, which allows them to protect their personal space as reliably as possible without disturbing their aesthetics. By the way, each model is available in several colors so that the buyer can find the best option that most closely matches the interior style of a particular room.
Interior doors are not only interior decoration, but also a way to create a protected personal space. And in order to make this possible in full, it is necessary to give the door accessories no less value than the choice of the door leaf itself. The lock, the most important element of fittings, requires special attention. Evaluation of the nature of the room, its features and nuances of the interior will allow you to choose the optimal mechanism that will protect the room to the extent necessary from drafts or unwanted penetration.