- №1.Mixer design
- Two-valve mixers
- Single-lever mixers
- Thermostatic mixers
- Non-contact mixers
№4.The choice of shower faucet №5.The choice of sink faucet №6.Choosing a mixer for bidet №7.Attention to the manufacturer In conclusion,
- №3.The choice of faucet for bath
Modern faucets are very different from those devices that decorated the bathrooms a couple of decades ago. Today they combine style and functionality, can bring not only additional comfort, but also decorate the bathroom. As a rule, mixers are chosen in the same style, but at the same time they may be slightly different in functionality and appearance. How to choose a bathroom faucet , so that it meets all the requirements, was durable and practical?
№1.The design of the mixer
Mixers for bath, shower, sink or bidet have a similar design. They can be two-valve, single-lever, thermostatic and non-contact or touch. Each of them boasts its own advantages and will be indispensable in specific situations.
These are the simplest mixers, which until recently were the only possible and most popular option. They have two valves that turn when hot or cold water flows. At the heart of such mixers is the faucet, which lets water flow through or overlaps one of them. A weak spot is a sealing gasket, which tends to wear out pretty quickly, so it will require frequent replacement. rubber gaskets are deteriorating faster than ceramic locking elements , so it is better to choose the latter. Although two-valve mixers are easy to handle, they are not very convenient, as it is not always easy to adjust the required temperature and water pressure.
Despite the emergence of many new types of mixers, the data is still popular, and this is explained not only by their available price .Often, these faucets are chosen by those who want to decorate their bathroom in the classic style or in the country style, since modern single-lever models will not fit into such an interior. Such mixers are simpler to install , which can be attributed to their advantages, because you can do without the involvement of specialists.
Single lever faucets
These are the most popular mixers today. They are equipped with only one handle, which can have a completely different design. It rotates both from side to side, and up and down, therefore, it is as simple as possible to adjust the pressure and temperature of the water - it is enough to make one slight movement. In addition, you can also stop the flow of water very quickly by lowering the mixer down.
Similar mixers can have a spherical device or work on the basis of a cartridge. The latest models are more common today. By the way, one of the single-lever mixers are joysticks .If the single-lever mixer is located along the spout, in the joystick - in a vertical position and resembles a lever in a car gearbox. In terms of functionality and convenience, there is no difference - the main difference lies only in the design.
single-lever faucets are very economical , as the required water temperature is quite simple to set up. In addition, there are options with a built-in economy mode. In this case, there will be a noticeable resistance of the stroke of the lever during the transition from one mode to another.
It should be noted that such options are more difficult to install and repair, are more demanding on the quality of water , since its increased rigidity can cause breakages.
Another type of such mixers - cascade , the outflow of which is wider and narrower.2-3 times more water passes through it than through a standard spout, which is not very economical. They look good in large rooms and can be used as a bathtub or sink mixer as a stylish addition to the interior.
These faucets are no longer uncommon in the plumbing market. They are very convenient because supplies water of only one temperature, which the user of the pre-sets. With the help of a lever, you can only change the pressure, without worrying about choosing a comfortable temperature. Using the second lever, you can change the temperature value, if such a need arises.
Despite its increased convenience and water saving, thermostatic mixers have some drawbacks. So, they are distinguished by by the high price of , and if the system is not able to prepare water of a given temperature, then it will simply block the water.
These mixers are the latest technology. They allow to conveniently, quickly and comfortably to carry out all hygiene procedures. The mixer is equipped with an infrared sensor that responds to the raised hands and turns on the water. When you take your hands away, the water will stop flowing. Such devices take energy either from the home power supply or from batteries. Such faucets can often be seen in public places, but they are beginning to be actively used in ordinary bathrooms. Today, by the way, faucets with a touch control panel, which displays all the parameters of water flow, and with which you can control it, are gaining popularity.
Mixers can be made of different materials, and it is this parameter that largely determines its durability and reliability:
- brass is one of the best materials for the mixer. Such products are durable, safe, not afraid of corrosion. To give them a certain appearance, they can be chrome-plated or nickel-plated. A distinctive feature of these mixers - a lot of weight;
- alloy steel is very rarely used today for the manufacture of mixers, since such devices are expensive and not very practical, they quickly become unusable;
- plastic and other synthetic materials are often used for the manufacture of handles and some other components. On top of the plastic is covered with a layer of enamel, chromium, nickel or, in more exclusive devices, is finished with bronze and gilding. Of the options available at a price, it is better to give preference to the chrome-plated coating, since nickel can cause allergies and the enamel is quickly erased;
- ceramics is used to manufacture only individual parts of the mixer. If the material is of high quality, then the mixer will last for a long time, but if the ceramics were made in violation of the norms and requirements, then under the influence of high temperatures may crack.
№3.Choosing a faucet for a bath
Although the approach to the choice of faucets for a bath, shower and sink has a lot of common requirements, there are still some nuances that should be considered.
Basically, these types of faucets are used for the bath:
- with standard low spout , as well as with a water switch for the shower and the spout itself;
- with long spout .This option was popular in the Soviet past, when the mixer was common to the bathtub and the sink, and could be turned and used both in the bath and in the sink. Today, manufacturers are less likely to produce such mixers, but still many opt for them;
- shower mixer without spout and switch the direction of flow of water in the bathroom is rarely used, but still can be useful if you use the bath only as a shower.
According to the method of installation, bath mixers can be of the following types:
- built-in , which are located on the side of the bath. As a rule, mixers of this type of installation are already pre-installed on the baths and in the future they are difficult to replace. It is better if there are holes in the bath for such mixers, but usually they are only in acrylic bathrooms. This method of installation allows you to hide many elements of the mixer, so the result is the most aesthetic;
- wall .They are usually supplemented with a long or medium spout depending on the shape of the bath. In this case, you can use the shower rod to conveniently use the shower;
- on the rack .This option is less common and is only suitable for spacious rooms, the style of which involves finding a bath in the center of the room. In this case, the pipes are supplied to similar mixers from under the floor.
№4.Choosing a shower faucet
Shower faucets can be of two types:
From the point of view of functionality, you will not notice the difference, but there are still external differences. So, the wall-mounted shower mixer is actually the same as for the bath, only it does not have a spout. They can be controlled as you please: with the help of a joystick, pen, sensor, etc.- You can choose the option from those mentioned above, which most suits you in price and comfort. This type of mixer has a significant advantage - its installation can even be carried out on its own, and later on its repair will be simplified. The mixer built into the is even more reliable and durable, and also more aesthetic, since only the handle will remain visible.
When choosing a shower faucet, special attention should be paid to the size and shape of the watering can, which will be not only functional, but also a decorative element of the bath. Watering can also differ in the number of water supply modes: in the simplest mixers, this is one or two modes, and in expensive ones, the number can reach up to ten. Moreover, the most modern types of mixers can be equipped with additional functions such as saving water, cleaning it, lighting, etc.
It is not necessary, but it is possible to install a sprinkler in the shower: it is much larger than any watering can, it has a greater number of holes, and during operation it imitates rain drops completely. In addition, you can install and side jets for hydromassage. But if all these functions in the shower are so necessary, then it is better to choose a shower cabin with built-in nozzles and sprinkler systems.
№5.Choosing a sink faucet
Before choosing a sink faucet, you need to decide how will be used for .So, if you only wash your hands and wash, you can opt for a low mixer. If you plan to wash a child or pet in the sink, it is better to choose a medium or high mixer.
As with bathroom and shower faucets, in terms of installation, sink faucets can be wall mounted or built-in .Built-in most often supplemented bottom valve, through which you can type in the sink water for washing. This is true in a number of European countries, where they are trying to save every drop of water. It is not customary for us to get water for washing, but such a function can be useful if you need to quickly wash something.
№6.Choosing a bidet faucet
Such a sanitary device as a bidet is just beginning to conquer domestic bathrooms and certainly finds a place in spacious restrooms. Externally, the bidet mixers can be confused with similar devices for the sink or bath, but still they have one significant difference .So, on such devices there is a built-in aerator, which allows you to direct a stream of water in the desired direction. Also, mixers for bidets in a set can have several interchangeable nozzles , due to which the functionality of the mixer increases dramatically.
Today, faucets with the sanitary shower are also very popular, as they can be used with a toilet, turning it into a multifunctional device and not taking up space - important for small bathrooms.
Choosing the best option, then when choosing, you must follow the rules described above. It is necessary to select the mixer control option, the production material, the mounting method. Try to keep all the faucets in the bathroom in harmony with each other.
№7.Attention to the manufacturer
Today in the market of plumbing in general and faucets in particular, the Italian and German manufacturers have recommended themselves well .Behind them come the French, Swiss, Spanish, Swedish, American and domestic. In addition, Chinese manufacturers are widely represented in the domestic market, many of whom offer cheap and not very high-quality goods. Choosing plumbing, it is better to think many times, and whether it will be possible to save when buying a bit cheaper, but low-quality products, because it may break soon, and manufacturers do not give guarantees for it, unlike well-known companies with more expensive products.
One of the best manufacturers at the moment are:
- Grohe is a famous German manufacturer that has been working on the market for more than 70 years. The products are distinguished by a wide range in terms of functionality and design, have proven to be of excellent quality, but it is not cheap;
- Hansgrohe is another German company that produces mixers of different functionality. Each product is given a 5-year warranty, and their distinctive feature is a minimalist design;
- Oras is a Finnish company whose products have a pleasant price-performance ratio. Particular attention is paid to the manufacturer faucets with a thermostat;
- Jacob Delafon is a French company that is also famous for the high quality of its mixers, they are covered by a 5-year warranty. Collections are diverse, but great importance is given to the classical style;
- Roca is a company that boasts a huge range of products. Here you can find mixers from baroque to high-tech, but, truth, sometimes the usability of mixers suffers because of interesting shapes and unusual style;
- Mamoli is a well-known Italian company that pleases with a huge assortment and consistently high quality.
Such companies as Carlo Frattini Visenti, Herbeau, Teka, Ideal Standard, Supergrif, Geberit, Aquatika have also recommended themselves well.
When choosing, do not forget to inspect the mixer, as it should not have any damage. Also try to think in advance about the interior of the bathroom and match the selected plumbing with faucets, to end up with a harmonious space that will be as comfortable and functional at the same time as possible.