- №1.Why do plastic windows need warming?
- №2.Identify weaknesses
- №3.Debug clamping mechanism
- №4.Replacing the seal
- №5.Warming of a window sill
- №6.Warming slopes
- №7.What else can be done to warm the plastic window?
Why insulate plastic windows? This reasonable question arises, for sure, among all owners of modern hermetic structures, because the manufacturers sold us a perfect product with perfect thermal insulation. Installation errors, improper operation, shrinkage at home and time can play a cruel joke even with the highest quality windows. Do not rush to change the whole structure - you can try to insulate plastic windows with your own hands. It is easy and short. We deal with the weak points of modern windows and learn how to fix them.
№1.Why do plastic windows need warming?
The first years of high-quality made and installed plastic windows will surely be a reliable barrier to cold air, drafts and noise. Over the years, of course, problems may arise, and often the user himself is to blame. In case of unfair assembly, various defects can be felt in the first season.
The most common reasons for carrying out additional thermal insulation of plastic windows:
- assembly, made in violation of technology;
- building shrinkage, which is especially characteristic of new buildings;
- wear rubber insulation. Responsible manufacturers and installers inform the user about the rules for the care of the rubber seal, but few follow the rules and regularly inspect the condition of this component. The lack of proper care leads to an accelerated process of thinning and drying of rubber, the appearance of microcracks in its structure, the result is a decrease in the density of adhesion to the frame and deterioration of thermal insulation;
- Incorrectly installed slopes.
A window of poor quality or with inadequate climatic conditions and technical characteristics will not be able to provide normal thermal insulation, so it is important to be able to choose the right plastic window and immediately decide on a suitable glass unit.
№2.Determine the weak points of the
. In order to conduct effective insulation of plastic windows, you must first understand in what places the tightness is broken. Immediately from the list of suspects you can delete only the frame: multi-chamber plastic is a good heat insulator, it does not crack, unlike wood.
Cold air can penetrate through such structural elements:
- clamping elements, which tend to loosen over time;
- retired bead that keeps the glass;
- worn gasket;
- assembly foam, if it was applied in violation of the technology;
The double-glazed window rarely becomes a cause of a violation of the thermal insulation( the exception is its depressurization), but it can also be further insulated."Excess" warm in the winter does not interfere.
It is easy to detect leaking elements of the window - just hold your palm along and across the entire structure, and you will feel that in some places it is decently blowing. Some advise using a lighter for this purpose. If you light a flame and hold it around the perimeter of the window, maintaining a safe distance, it will bend down in those places where even a small draft is present. Be extremely careful with this method!
As a rule, it is possible to carry out works on plastic window insulation with your own hands. The exceptions are cases when it is necessary to warm the slopes from the outside, and the apartment is located above the second floor. It is necessary to be ready, that complex warming may be necessary if several zones of warm air leakage are found, but first things first.
# 3.Debug clamping mechanism
Shrinkage of the house and weather factors can lead to a slight tilt of the window casements and a slight deformation of the sealing gum. This leads to a deterioration of thermal insulation, but in this case, the return of the former tightness is a matter of a couple of minutes, however, knowledge of the plastic window design and skills in working with tools will be needed.
The regulation of the clamping mechanism can be done using special eccentrics located along the perimeter of the valves. To fit the sash was more dense, the eccentric must be rotated clockwise using a 4 mm hex key. Focus on the serif located on each such element. When it is directed towards the street, the clamp is weakened, towards the compactor it is strengthened. The video is all well shown.
Sometimes a simple regulation of hinges, which also have their own mechanism responsible for clamping density, helps to insulate a plastic window. Here the regulation is carried out using a hexagon. It is necessary to be guided by a simple rule: if the tongue is strongly advanced, then the sash fits well. To push it, you need to turn the hexagon counterclockwise, if the hinges are located on the left, and clockwise - if it is on the right.
Even easier is with bead .The old detached bead is enough to pry with a thin spatula, and in its place install a new one that you can buy at the same company that sold and installed windows for you.
After adjustment, check whether the tightness of the structure has improved, with the palm or cigarette lighter. If everything is done correctly, and the draft still walks, you will most likely have to change the seal.
№4.Replacing the seal
Ideally, a rubber seal can last for a long time, but this requires certain conditions to be met. According to the rules of operation of plastic windows, the seal is required to be regularly lubricated with special substances, but which of us does it? So it turns out that after 5 years, the rubber dries out and begins to let the cold breeze from the street. The problem may be in the seal, which is located under the glass, or that is on the contour of the leaf. Replacing the seal in a plastic window is not as difficult as it’s responsible. If you doubt your skills, it is better to call a specialist.
Procedure for replacing the glass pane seal:
- removal of bead;
- dismantle of a lining and a double-glazed window;
- dismantling worn seals;
- installation of a new seal through the groove. It is better to cut off the tape in advance, which is 3-5 cm longer than the required length. The new seal is put on the place, while acting as carefully as possible and not pulling the material. Surpluses are carefully cut off. If desired, and for warranty, the sealant can be additionally fixed with an adhesive;
- installation of a double-glazed window, linings and shtapik. Beadings are fragile parts, so removing and installing them must be extremely careful not to break. Otherwise, you will have to buy new ones.
The seal may also need replacing, which is located along the contour of the casement. In this case, the flap is better to remove. First, the trim plates are removed from the hinges, and then the pin is pulled out of the hinge using a mounting handle or screwdriver. It remains to carefully remove the sash, and only then it is very easy to remove the old seal from it. It is better to start installing the new seal from the top of the sash, gently pressing it, but not stretching it. The beginning and end of the sealing tape is better to fix with glue. Everything! It remains only to hang the sash back: the pin can be installed with bare hands, and then the decorative trim should be replaced. The video is very well shown and described.
No. 5.Warming of the sill
Installation of a plastic window is often associated with decent damage, they are especially significant in the area between the wall and the window sill. Some installers throw gaps in cement and construction waste. There are no comments here. Better, of course, when the space under the window sill is filled with foam, but this option is not perfect. Over time, the foam may shrink or even crack; decent slots are formed through which cold air enters the house.
To insulate a plastic window, you have to get rid of the old foam and pour a new one. Keep in mind that it tends to expand when it freezes. Surplus after full solidification is cut off, some builders recommend additionally filling small cracks with silicone sealant. This is followed by plastering and decorative coating.
If possible, the sill area can be further warmed outside. Foam is also used for this, but sometimes foam is also used. On top of all plastered on the grid and get off.
Today, often when installing plastic windows are additionally installed slopes, smooth, beautiful, made of thick plastic. It often happens that there is a large crack between the decorative strip and the wall, which perfectly brings cold and wind into the apartment, therefore, to improve the thermal insulation of plastic windows, it is recommended to warm the slopes from the inside or outside.
The procedure is as follows :
- dismantling unnecessary parts of the foam;
- if the surface is highly uneven, you can plaster it;
- slope primer treatment, anti-bacterial formulations can be used to prevent the development of mold;
- foam cut out the corresponding slope of the fragment. To better adhere to the surface, on the back of it can be slightly scratched. It remains to apply the installation adhesive and press firmly to the surface of the slope, to ensure a few dowels can be installed;
- remains to mount the area, putty the surface and fix the casing.
№7.What else can be done to warm the plastic window?
The methods described above will allow you to reliably insulate plastic windows and get rid of all the cracks, but it is possible to make the construction even warmer - it will not just not let the cold in the apartment, but also prevent the warm air from leaving the apartment. This is not magic, but reality, which is achieved through the use of:
- heat-saving film;
- electric windows;
- woolen blinds and curtains.
is a thin transparent material that does not change the optical properties of the glass, but reflects the thermal energy back to the apartment. The effect is achieved due to the presence of a thin metal layer. Of course, when it comes to plastic windows, it is better to use a special heat-saving double-glazed window - its efficiency is several times higher than any film, but if an ordinary double-glazed window is installed in the existing windows, then additional insulation will not be superfluous.
With the installation of the film you can easily cope with your own hands:
- the surface of the glass and frame are thoroughly cleaned;
- on the perimeter of the box glue double-sided tape;
- cut the necessary fragment from the film roll; it is better to cut it with a margin;
- film is glued to previously attached double-sided tape, its surface is blown with warm air from a hair dryer. It is necessary to act, slowly, so that the result is neat, there are no distortions and bubbles. Correctly pasted film is almost not noticeable.
It is already more difficult to equip electric heating of windows, it is better to do this even at the window installation stage, but most window companies can install such a system on an already installed window. The heating is carried out at the expense of the electric heating spiral built into the glass.
Well, and finally, the most banal, simple and versatile ways to make the window a little warmer. These are thick curtains and wool blinds. The latter can be done if you wrap the usual blinds with a woolen cloth.
It is better to carry out work on insulating plastic windows on a warm dry day, since it is no longer possible to work with many materials at temperatures below + 5. .. + 100С, and you can let the cold in the apartment. In order to face the problem of modern window insulation as soon as possible, it is worth taking the choice of window manufacturer as seriously as possible, paying attention to the selection of optimal technical characteristics, focusing on the region's climate. It is also important to choose a responsible installer and not forget about the need to properly maintain the window.