choice of coffee machines for the home depends on the budget, taste preferences and even the lifestyle you and your household. To begin, we offer to answer 4 questions that will help you decide on the type of technology, and then you can learn more about the coffee machine / coffee machine that interests you.
- How much coffee do you drink? This is the first question you should ask yourself before buying a coffee machine or coffee maker. If you like to drink a couple of large mugs at a time or you have a large family, then you should choose a device that can prepare large volumes of drink. Time-tested drip coffee machine is ideal for this purpose, because most of them are able to cook 10-12 cups per cycle. However, if you consume only one cup at a time, then you need a machine that brews coffee a la carte.
- What coffee taste do you like? Coffee lovers are as diverse as the varieties themselves, and each type can offer their own coffee machine / coffee maker. For example, a French press will satisfy a true gourmet, because it preserves all the nuances of grains better than others. Geyser coffee makers are ideal for lovers of extra strong coffee. Fans of milk drinks( cappuccino, latte, cocoa, etc.) should purchase a capsule coffee machine or an automatic coffee machine with a cappuccinator. Well, lovers of espresso recommended carob-type espresso machines.
- How and when do I drink coffee? If you spend the morning most often in a hurry and bustle, then a drip coffee maker with a double-walled stainless steel mug will allow you to quickly make coffee, but not drink it right away, but when you are ready for it. Moreover, you can take a thermocup with you and drink your portion of caffeine on the way or at work.
- How big is my kitchen? Decide what place you can allocate for your coffee machine and, possibly, a stand-alone coffee grinder. If there is not much space, then you should look for a compact model with an integrated coffee grinder.
Now that you have answered these 4 questions, let's look at the type of coffee maker you are interested in.
Drip coffee maker
This is probably the most common type of coffee maker in the world, because they are so convenient, inexpensive and easy to use. Drip coffee machines can cook up to 12 cups in about 5-10 minutes. And although they get bad reviews on the quality of brewing from strict connoisseurs, for those who love American coffee rather than espresso, do not drink exquisite varieties every day, a drip-type coffee maker will be an excellent choice.
Principle of operation: warmed up water in a tank drips into a filter with ground coffee and then the drink goes downjug.
How to use a drip coffee maker: all you need to do is fill the water tank, pour the ground beans into the filter, press a couple of buttons and voila, your coffee is ready!
How to choose a drip coffee maker:
- It is advisable that the water tank is removable and not built-in - so that you can descale it.
- The higher the power of the device, the faster the brewed coffee. On the other hand, the longer the brewing time, the stronger the coffee will be.
- The filter in the drip coffee maker can be paper( disposable) or nylon( designed for 60 cycles).Paper filters are good because they are thrown out along with the coffee grounds, they better filter the drink, but they do it a little longer, besides, they need to be bought separately and always have in stock.
- Well, if your chosen model has a heated jug to maintain the temperature of the finished drink. This function, as a rule, is available for more expensive coffee makers( from 2500 rubles).
- Drip coffee maker can have not only a coffee filter, but also a water filter.
- Pay attention to the presence of the option "Drop-stop".Thanks to her, after removing the jug, the remaining coffee will not drip from the filtration part of the device onto the tray.
- Some models allow you to adjust the strength of the drink, which is always useful.
- Convenient when the measuring scale is calculated in milliliters, but not in cups, as is often the case. Before buying a coffee maker, make sure that the tank and the jug have both a graduation gauge.
- The glass jug must be equipped with a rim designed to protect the container from breaking.
- For two people, you can purchase a mini-model that serves coffee in two cups at the same time, and not in one jug.
Prices: the simplest models can cost from 1000 rubles, premium class coffee makers - from 2500 rubles.
In the next video you can see an overview of 4 models of drip-type coffee machines.
Geyzernaya coffee maker
The good old method of brewing coffee in a geyser coffee maker on the stove is still popular with coffee-makers. The reason for this is the cheapness and simplicity of the design and, of course, the strength of the drink, which is obtained to achieve.
- Coffee from a geyser coffee maker is somewhat richer in taste than coffee from a drip coffee maker, but still not better than an espresso machine.
The disadvantage of geyser coffee pots is that they need attention while brewing coffee and a small tank volume. In fact, a geyser coffee maker is a device for one or two people. Cooking a few cups of coffee for guests will be quite difficult. However, it is also impossible to make a drink less than the volume stipulated by the manufacturer.
Principle of operation: when water is boiling at the bottom of the jug, it rises under pressure with ground coffee, passes through it, and finally, the drink falls into the top of the coffee pot.
How to use a geyser coffee maker: Fill the lower compartment with with water, fill the middle compartment with coffee( medium grinding), then assemble the parts of the coffee maker and place it on the stove. After 3-4 minutes, as soon as steam comes out of the spout or a hiss begins to emit, remove the coffee pot from the stove and enjoy your drink. The main trick is not to overdo the coffee and not bring it to a boil, otherwise the taste will be bitter.
- Electric geyser coffee makers do not even require stoves, they heat up and turn off automatically.
How to choose a geyser coffee maker:
- Volume is the first criterion for choosing a geyser coffee maker. Consider that one “Italian” cup, which most often measures the volume of coffee pots, is only 50 ml, that is, only a quarter of a standard cup.
- It is more convenient to determine the degree of readiness of a drink if the flask is glass and not metal.
- The function of maintaining the coffee temperature will give you the opportunity to drink a hot drink not immediately, but within 30 minutes after its preparation.
- For an induction cooker, you must purchase a coffee pot designed specifically for this purpose.
- The instrument handle must be made of heat insulating material.
Prices: 1200-4000 rubles( the price of standard geyser coffee makers) and 4000-8000 rubles.(cost of electric models).
Rozhkovaya coffee machine( semi-automatic espresso machine)
You can boil an ideal espresso, cappuccino or latte at home in a rozhkovogo espresso machine, which is also called semi-automatic or manual. Such a unit is expensive, but due to the more efficient extraction of coffee requires a third less grains.
- Carob espresso machines are detached and built into the kitchen.
Principle of operation: in a semi-automatic coffee machine, the drink is not brewed with boiling water, but with water vapor passing through a layer of ground, tamped coffee under high pressure( 9-15 bar).
How to use the carob espresso machine: you first need to fill the boiler with water. Then ground coffee is poured into a specially designed horn( holder, port filter), manually tamped into a “pill” with tempera and inserted into the cooking group. Then you just need to start the car and wait about half a minute, when the drink will pour into a pre-prepared cup.
- Most espresso machines can prepare not only espresso, but also milk foam for cappuccino or latte using a hand( panarello) or automatic cappuccinator, which beat the milk with steam( see the wiki).
In the following video you can see how to make a cappuccino using a semi-automatic coffee machine with a manual cappuccinator panarello.
How to choose a coffee machine( semi-automatic) type:
- The horn in an espresso drinker can be metal or plastic. The metal horn is not only safer, but also better for coffee extraction. Espresso, brewed in a plastic port filter, get weaker.
- The machine should have the option of automatic protection against overheating, which prolongs the life of the unit and protects you from burns.
- It is desirable that your coffee machine has the function of maintaining the temperature of the finished beverage.
- Having two pumps allows you to make cappuccino and espresso at the same time.
- The coffee machine must have a drip tray.
- A useful option for rozhkovogo coffee makers - the ability to brew not only ground beans, but also pods( see photo).The pods are a “tablet” of filter paper and a “filling” of portioned ground and compressed coffee. One pod corresponds to 1 cup of drink. Espresso, brewed from pods, turns out very tasty, and the process of brewing coffee becomes easier.
Price: from 8 to 70 thousand rubles, depending on the power, the volume of the water tank and the functionality.
Automatic coffee machine
If previous types of coffee makers require your participation / control, then an automatic coffee machine can make the perfect drink almost without you. What it does is a full cycle of work - from grinding coffee beans to self-cleaning. The only drawback of an automatic coffee machine is the high price( an average of $ 650).
- The process of cooking 1 serving( from grinding to bottling) takes only 30-40 seconds.
How to use an automatic coffee machine: add grain coffee, pour water, select the strength of the drink, set the desired number of servings and turn on the unit. In half a minute your perfect home espresso will be ready.
Below is a video review of a fully automatic coffee machine of the average price category of the company KAFFITCOM.
How to choose an automatic coffee machine: essentially all automatic coffee machines are similar and brew coffee almost equally well. Models of different price categories differ only in design, size and feature set.
- For example, the cheapest coffee machine in 2016, the Philips Series 2000 HD8649 does not have a fortress regulator, brews only grain coffee and only espresso( however, you can make milk drinks manually using the built-in cappuccinator).But one of the most expensive coffee machines for the home Delonghi ESAM 6904 has an LCD display, touch buttons, two thermoblocks, allows you to choose the height of the foam and can cook even hot chocolate at the touch of a button. However, the coffee they brew about the same quality and at the same speed.
Therefore, it is necessary to select the unit on the basis of the price-functionality ratio. With "other things being equal," it is necessary to give preference to a machine with a metal body, a ceramic coffee grinder, with a greater height of the cup, greater pressure and power. Before buying, be sure to try to move the cappuccinator tube, open-close water / grains / cake containers, press buttons.
Prices: from 20 thousand rubles.
Capsule coffee machine
A capsule coffee maker is the best choice for those who love espresso and foam drinks, but do not want to: spend a lot of money to buy a coffee machine, make their own coffee in any coffee maker, or simply don’t like to do the cleaning.
- Capsule coffee machines are designed for brewing coffee only from portioned capsules and pods. They are very convenient both in the preparation of beverages and in cleaning. To keep the device in order, you need only 1 time in three months to start the cycle of "cooking" with a special cleaning tablet.
However, capsule coffee machines, firstly, can only cook one cup per cycle, and secondly, they limit the choice of varieties somewhat( although there are many variations of capsules).And thirdly, require the purchase of coffee in specialized stores. In addition, cappuccino and latte foam is made from powdered milk and is also packaged in a separate capsule. It turns out that for making cappuccino you have to use two capsules, which is not too economical. The taste of such drinks, of course, loses drinks from the coffee machine.
Principle of operation: the capsule is punctured, the coffee is mixed with air flow, then water under high pressure enters the compartment.
How to use a capsule coffee machine: all you need to do is insert the capsule into a special compartment, fill the tank with water and press the start button.
How to choose a capsule coffee maker: tips on choosing a capsule coffee maker and the capsules themselves can be found in the following video story.
But a video review of the popular capsule model Nescafe Dolce Gusto krups kp 2205 melody 3.
Price: 3000-19000 rub.
Finally, we offer you to watch a general video on how to choose the right coffee machine / coffee maker for your home.
See also material: 12 tips on choosing a bread machine for the home.
- Buying guide Multivarki
- stepwise guideChoosing a juicer
- 6 factors that you need to know before buying a microwave oven
- Guide to choosing a blender submersible and stationary type
- We use the dishwasher correctly
- Rules for installing and connecting a dishwasher
- 10 refrigerator selection criteria you need to know before buying