- №1.What are self-adhesive wallpapers?
- №2.Advantages and disadvantages of
- №3.The main types of self-adhesive wallpaper
- №4.Variants of using self-adhesive wallpaper
- №5.Gluing self-adhesive wallpaper
- Surface preparation
- Gluing wallpaper on walls
- How to paste the corners of the furniture?
- How to unstick a self-adhesive wallpaper?
Anyone who has once glued wallpaper, admits that the most difficult stage is the application of glue in accordance with all the rules. Any blemish can affect the final result. In order to simplify the lives of millions of people around the world, self-adhesive wallpapers have been invented. They have been developed for a long time, but they have become very popular recently, and this is due to the expansion of the range and the appearance of a wide variety of colors. Self-adhesive wallpapers are used for for walls, furniture, appliances and doors of , and even a beginner can handle the gluing.
№1.What are self-adhesive wallpapers?
Wallpapers - the most popular type of wall decoration. It's hard to argue with that. Popularity brought them a wide variety. The market offers paper and vinyl, cork and textured, washable and liquid wallpaper, and we can’t talk about the assortment of colors and patterns. With the advent of photo wallpaper and self-adhesive wallpaper, the variety has become completely indecently wide. Large sellers offer several hundred, and sometimes thousands of options to choose from. Residents of Almaty will be able to find a suitable option on the website of the online store https: //stroymax.kz/catalog/ oboi - the choice is impressive.
Release of self-adhesive wallpaper is adjusted by many manufacturers. Buy a suitable option is not difficult. No matter how bizarre the coloring, the structure of the material remains unchanged: on the one hand - the decorative part, on the other - adhesive side, which is covered with protective paper. After cutting and immediately before the installation process, protection is removed. It turns out that there is no need to look for a specific adhesive composition and prepare it. There is also no need to buy brushes, plummets and other tools, and you shouldn’t have to keep the windows closed so that the draft doesn’t disturb the gluing process.
Self-adhesive wallpapers are sold in rolls of approximately 14 m each, 40-90 cm wide. They are used for wall decoration, furniture restoration, and other interior items.
№2.Advantages and disadvantages of
The main advantage of the material - simple and quick installation process .There are self-adhesive wallpaper and other advantages :
- moisture resistance , therefore, the material is suitable for walls in bathrooms and kitchens. However, experts do not recommend veneering “cold” walls, as condensate may begin to accumulate under the film, which will gradually lead to the formation of mold and mildew;
- UV resistance, long-term preservation of the original colors;
- resistance to high( up to + 800 ° C) and low temperatures( -400 ° C);
- strength and durability , wear resistance;
- health safety .There are no toxic fumes both during installation and during operation;
- a huge variety of drawings and textures .You can find wallpaper under the tree and stone, with a floral print, intricate fantasy pattern, with a matte or glossy surface. There are even wallpapers with photo printing, better known as self-adhesive photo wallpapers - in general, there is something to choose from;
- versatility , a wide range of applications. Self-adhesive( so-called self-adhesive wallpaper) is used for wall decoration, quick change of furnishings, restoration or modernization of furniture, for pasting door leaf and other purposes;
- The low cost of the material only has to experiment.
Cons , as such, no. One has only to keep in mind that the material is quite thin and will produce all the irregularities of the surface of the , so the walls must be even or with minimal defects - there will be no concessions. Self-adhesive wallpapers made by based on polyvinylchloride , although they are distinguished by the best performance, but have a significant disadvantage - they do not let the air .If part of the wall is faced with such material, then nothing terrible will happen, but if there are all walls, then it will be necessary to take care of reliable ventilation.
№3.The main types of self-adhesive wallpaper
Variety does not hold this material, but we will try to classify the entire range presented.
So, according to the material of manufacture, all wallpaper can be divided into the following types:
- polyvinyl chloride( PVC). This is the most popular wallpaper, which is popularly called self-adhesive. It is based, as you might guess, on a layer of polyvinyl chloride that is resistant to moisture, tolerates temperatures up to + 800 ° C and is inexpensive. The variety of colors is huge: from imitation of wood to a practically mirror-like surface;
- cork .The cork layer is small, only about 1-2 mm, but this is enough to provide the material with high aesthetics, high thermal and sound insulation. Wax impregnation increases moisture resistance and prevents material from accumulating odors. This material is ideal for finishing the bedroom and living room, but can be used in the kitchen, however, away from wet areas;
- Satin wallpapers are made on the basis of a dense fabric material, it has a matte surface. The density and the absence of glare can successfully hide under the wallpaper a small surface irregularities. As a rule, this is how wallpaper is made.
Separately, chalkboard self-adhesive wallpaper should be highlighted. This is an analog slate. We think that by these names you have already guessed that this is about the material on which you can draw with chalk, leave notes to relatives, create real masterpieces yourself or in company with children, each time giving the room a new mood. Everything drawn and written can be easily erased with a dry or slightly damp cloth.
Recently, wallpaper appeared in the sale, in which the top layer was made not from PVC, fabric or cork, but from lace. It looks very unusual, gentle and elegant, but such wallpaper is not easy to correctly fit into the interior, so as not to slip to bad taste.
By type of surface wallpaper can be divided into glossy and matte, mirror and holographic. The latter are generally the peak of luxury.
№4.Variants of using self-adhesive wallpaper
And again about the versatility. The material is so convenient and easy to use, and has such a wide selection of colors that enterprising designers have come up with to use it in a variety of whole, obvious and most unpredictable:
- wall decoration - the first and main area of use. Self-adhesive wallpaper will fit as the main finishing material( remember that in the case of PVC it is necessary to provide ventilation), as well as for placing accents. You can use wallpaper in any room, even in the kitchen and in the bathroom. For these rooms even produce wallpaper that mimics the mosaic and tile. Someone uses an easy-to-install self-adhesive, when you just want to change the room a little, but you don’t want to start repairs with dust and debris. Cretaceous wallpapers are perfect for children's rooms;
- furniture restoration .Old cabinets, bedside tables and tables can be changed beyond recognition in a few hours. Guests will think you just brought them from the store. Reception is also suitable in cases where the furniture has not yet lost its appearance, but for some reason( tastes have changed, it no longer fits the interior) it needs to be slightly modified. With the help of self-adhesive wallpaper, you can upgrade any furniture: from kitchen cabinets to the wall in the living room and dresser in the bedroom. You can choose any color: stone finish, precious woods or simply elegant patterns on a plain background. And if you are lucky to find a wallpaper with an imitation of stained glass, velvet, lace, or with a smooth surface, you will be able to create a bright interior;
- door and window sill decoration .These integral parts of each apartment lose their luster over time, but if they remain strong, all is not lost. Dozens of times repainted the window sill can be pasted over with wallpaper imitating marble or oak. With the door leaf, everything is more complicated: every decorative element, panel and glass insert make it all the more categorical to abandon the idea of pasting. Strictly speaking, a similar solution is suitable for a dull, smooth canvas.
It is very important for to choose the right shade and pattern of self-adhesive wallpaper, especially when it comes to PVC.The market is very much too cheap( both in cost and in appearance) of materials that only spoil the interior. Actually, because of simplicity, if not worse, yellow-looking films under the tree, many have become disillusioned with self-adhesive wallpaper as a form of decoration and decor.
№5.Gluing self-adhesive wallpaper
Actually the process of gluing is very simple and should not cause any particular difficulties. It is better to throw the main forces on the preparation of the surface and the material itself.
The main thing is that the surface should be as even as possible. It is better to remove the old finish; in the presence of small irregularities, use a putty; if everything is very bad, then it is better to level the walls with plaster. After this, you should go through the primer, and when everything is dry, proceed to the next stage.
Some are in such a hurry that they allow the to stick self-adhesive wallpaper over the old trim.“And what is this, if the basis is completely equal?”This is a time and effort saving! ”, They will say and they will be only partially right. Indeed, when repairs do not suffer delays, self-adhesive can be glued over the wallpaper, but remember that the adhesion will be several times worse than with a primed wall. It is also undesirable to glue the film on the film. Both in that and in that case the probability increases that multilayered finishing will start to depart from a wall. If all this happens in the kitchen, the risk increases even more, because the material here will be constantly exposed to moisture and fat vapors.
If you are going to paste over only a part of the wall with wallpaper, then at this stage does not interfere with marking the boundaries of the required zone to simplify your task even more. Experts recommend maintaining parallel lines to the walls, and horizontal lines to the floor and ceiling.
You can mark the surface of the even in the case when all the walls will be completely covered with wallpaper. This will achieve the most aesthetic result. From a corner at a distance equal to the width of the wallpaper, it is necessary to draw a vertical line, move the width of the wallpaper from it and again draw a vertical line using a level or plumb line. The result will be a whole grid that will help orient in the process of gluing.
Prepare furniture even easier. It is enough to clean and degrease the surface. It is best not to use a lint-free cloth.
The process of cutting roll can also be attributed to the preparation process. If the canvas is monochromatic, then you just need to measure a segment of the required length and add a few centimeters to the seam allowance. If there is a pattern on the wallpaper, then it must be correctly joined. Sometimes for the docking of the ornament you have to sacrifice relatively large pieces of canvas. Cutting such wallpaper is better to carry out, focusing on the front part. It is better to cut a cloth with a construction knife and ruler.
Wallpapering on walls
The process of gluing self-adhesive wallpaper on the wall and furniture is extremely simple. It is necessary to take the prepared web and start removing the protective paper from the top edge. Apply adhesive to the surface with the adhesive side, constantly checking the evenness. The top of the wallpaper must be very well fixed using a sponge or squeegee. Now it remains to gradually remove the protective paper and gently press the wallpaper to the surface, all the while watching the level. Level the canvas with gentle movements using a plastic spatula, moving from top to bottom and from center to side. If a bubble has formed, which cannot be “squeezed out” from under the canvas, then it can be pierced with a needle and then smoothed over the place.
Clay dries for about 24 hours, so if any small defects are noticed, they can be fixed. Some manufacturers advise to wet the canvas with water for better fixation, but you will be warned about this in the instructions that accompany each roll of wallpaper.
How to glue the corners of furniture?
The process of installing self-adhesive wallpaper on furniture completely coincides with the above procedure for pasting walls. The only caveat is the angles that cause the most problems for inexperienced craftsmen. To make the corner neat and without wrinkles, some use the heating of the film with a hair dryer. It really becomes more elastic, but at the same time its useful performance can be lost, so it is better to do differently.
The film should be glued to one of the planes that form the corner, make an incision along the line of the butt, bend a part of the film and glue it to the surface. The second segment of the film is glued on top of the first. As a result, an inconspicuous seam is formed at the end, and there will be no folds and other misunderstandings. The process is well shown in the video.
How to unstick a self-adhesive wallpaper?
Sooner or later the finishing will have to be removed, but it will not take long to suffer. Self-adhesive wallpaper and bypass the usual wallpaper here - they are removed very easily. In some cases, it will be enough to pull the canvas with effort, and it will move away from the surface. If the wallpaper does not succumb, you will have to heat them up a little with the help of a building hair dryer or a fan heater. After that, the film will easily go away, and the glue can be removed with a solvent.
In conclusion, we note that self-adhesive wallpapers are an inexpensive, fast and practical way to transform your own home.