The site has a metal grill, but for a person, not only practicality is important, you also want beauty. Functionality and attractive appearance - this is a brick barbecue. There are simple models for the manufacture of which does not require special skills, and there are very complex structures - real brick complexes that only a professional can make. It is better not to undertake the construction of such structures without experience, and everyone can try to lay down a simple brazier made of brick or a barbecue oven.
What is the difference between a grill, a fireplace, a stove and a barbecue?
A fireplace, a stove and a barbecue, there is a brick wall on the back of the brazier, which the grill does not have. It is necessary to preserve the heat, and to reflect it on roasting food.
The construction of the fireplace, stove and barbecue provides for the construction of a chimney, which allows to remove heated air and smoke away from the cook, the grill does not have this element.
In fireplaces and stoves, the heat is located in the firebox, for this purpose there is a metal pan in the grill device.
Heat at the grill, fireplace and barbecue, is stored only during the burning of the fuel, and the stove can remain warm for a long time.
The barbecue and oven combine the function of the heater with cooking, the grill is only needed for cooking, and the fireplace is exclusively a heater.
What tools and materials are needed to build a brick barbecue:
- red brick - 1 or premium, how much it is needed, depends on the dimensions of the barbecue stove;
- fireclay bricks - it will take a little, only for the device of the firebox;
- cast iron elements( barbecue grilles, bleeders, grates, doors in the firebox) - the need may differ depending on the design drawing;
- dry masonry mix or red clay;
- river sand;
- fittings for the device of the base;
- heat-resistant metal sheet, dimensions depend on the size of the barbecue;
- boards for formwork;
- roofing felt or tar;
- various tools for masonry work;
- rubber hammer;
- plummet and level for proper placement of the structure in space;
- Bulgarian for cutting bricks;
- grinding and cutting discs for grinders;
- wooden template for the construction of the arch of the furnace.
Read also: Interesting ideas for creating a modern and practical barbecue area
Preparing a masonry mixture
For building a barbecue with your own hands from bricks, you need to choose high-quality mortar. You can use 2 variants of such solutions:
- ready-made compositions( separate mixtures for walls and firebox);
- clay mixed with clean sand.
Such compositions have their own disadvantages and advantages, they need to be thoroughly understood. Previously, only clay was used in the construction of furnaces, but it has a serious drawback. Heating structures, folded on a solution of clay, must be well protected from moisture. It can not be used for laying bricks on the pipe, in such places used mixtures based on cement or lime. In recent years, refractory compounds have become available that sell dry in hardware stores. In the work they go after dilution with water.
Clay is the cheapest binder that is completely environmentally safe.
For laying it is necessary to choose dark red clay. Checking the quality of raw materials and finished mix is as follows:
- Need to take 500 grams.clay, stir it with 200 ml of water so that it does not stick to your hands.
- From this mass they make a lump and throw it on the floor or on the wall, if cracks appear on the lump - the clay is too greasy, if the lump crumbled right away - there is too much sand in the solution, a good clay mixture for laying the oven should look like clay.
- The laying of 1000 bricks requires approximately 50-70 liters of the mixture. To increase the strength of the mixture, 0.5 cups of edible salt is introduced into the composition of each clay bucket. To increase the strength of the masonry, on poorly heated sections of the structure, it is permissible to add cement to a mixture of no more than 500 grams.on a bucket of clay.
- The resulting mixture, externally, should resemble thick homemade sour cream.
- Often, when building brick heating devices, various dry mixes are used. Methods for their preparation and use, always indicate in the instructions.
Do not forget that they sell compounds that are designed for different temperature conditions of heating the furnace. There are mixtures intended only for the laying of fireboxes and there are simple compositions for arranging the walls of the fireplace or stove.
How many bricks do you need
Before building a brick barbecue, you need to calculate with your own hands how much it will take. There are many programs designed for such a calculation. You can roughly calculate the need by using a pre-prepared barbecue drawing. Standard brick dimensions:
- length - 25 cm;
- width - 12 cm;
- height - 6.5 cm, together with the solution height reaches 7 cm.
Read also: Room for a boy: the most popular design options
Taking into account the design and size of the brick, calculate. Instead of a brick chimney, you can install a tin pipe. Before work, focusing on the drawings and photographs of a barbecue brick, be sure to prepare layered sketches of masonry. The figure has 28 layers of bricks, 18 rows of them is the distance to the pipe and 10 rows to the grid structure. Make 18 drawings, on them schematically mark the sequence of laying bricks. Do not forget that the bottom brick must always overlap on top of 2 bricks. Also, a brick lying longitudinally should be overlapped from above by 2 transverse bricks. The finished oven can be viewed on a photo of a brick barbecue.
You need to find a convenient place to build a barbecue, and you need to take into account:
- barbecue should be located no closer than 5 meters from the neighboring site( preferably further);
- construction is built at a maximum distance from wooden buildings;
- on the lawn near the barbecue there should be no shrubs or trees;
- requires the ability to bring lighting and water to the grill;
- should be able to build a roof or gazebo.
At once, it is necessary to make markup for the barbecue foundation at the chosen place, its dimensions should correspond to the order of the brick barbecue and take into account the masonry drawings. In addition, the size depends on the layout of the site - will there be a gazebo nearby, or do we need to make a foundation only for the construction of a barbecue? It is best to use a slab base:
- According to pre-set markers, they dig a pit 40-50 cm deep.
- Fill it with a mixture of gravel and coarse sand to the level of the soil, tamp down and set the formwork with a height of 150 mm.
- Reinforced frame is assembled in the assembled structure.
- A concrete solution is poured into the formwork, it is well compacted so that there is no air left in the body of the foundation.
- Check using the level of horizontal area.
- After that, everyone is covered with damp burlap in order to increase the drying time and prevent cracking of the concrete.
The foundation will be completely ready in three days, then you can remove the formwork.
Building Barbecue Walls
To protect the foundation and bricks from moisture penetrating from the ground, the walls of the foundation must be treated with tar, with 2-3 layers of roofing material laid on top of it. Mixing solution for masonry( recipe listed above).Lay on the roofing felt, spread on the foundation of the first row of bricks. On the 7th and 10th rows, metal plates are inserted into the masonry. Sheets of metal should already be a furnace at ½ the length of the brick.
During the laying of bricks, be sure to take long breaks, which are necessary for the mortar to set, otherwise the high construction may spread.
Fresh mortar sags, the seams between the rows of bricks dry out and become smaller, for this reason deviations from the project are possible. The shrinkage of the walls takes 2-3 days, this is affected by the surrounding temperature. Self-construction allows for breaks in work - this is a significant advantage over the use of hired builders who are trying to complete the object as quickly as possible.
Read also: Overview of shower cabins for gardening: varieties, advantages and disadvantages of
A saw or grinder cuts half of a brick, so that you can lay a sheet of metal in the groove. Raise further walls, laying bricks according to the drawings. On the 15th row, it is necessary to lay the arch, for this purpose use semicircular wooden patterns. Plywood is used to make a curve of necessary curvature, a cutting line is marked on it with a pencil and cut with a jigsaw. In the same way prepare the second board. To reinforce the arch pattern, a plank is inserted between the boards, and everything is connected. Ready template can be used. It is placed between the walls of the furnace, and begin laying bricks, connecting them with a solution.
The middle brick of the vault should be located exactly in the center of the firebox opening.
For laying the firebox and barbecue pipes, it is necessary to use heat-resistant brick.
The pipe begins to be laid from the 18th row, to reduce the width of the hole in each row of masonry, ¼ the width of the brick is removed. Thus, laid out 28 rows of masonry. You can prepare a metal box instead of a brick vault and install it in the masonry.
What you need to pay attention to:
- Using a barbecue on your plot you can’t violate the fire safety rules, otherwise the rest can be spoiled.
- It is impossible to kindle barbecue with gasoline or kerosene, use special compositions for this purpose;
- Do not impregnate the coal or firewood with igniting compounds, they just sprinkle the kindling from above;
- Do not forget that high-quality fuel is a good rest and tasty food. For this reason, worry about dry wood in advance. Connoisseurs are advised to use birch coals, from which products become fragrant and tasty.
White Clinker Barbecue - Video
Step by Step Guide to Building a Barbecue Made of Brick