Thermocouples underfloor not contact them with heated air, so the temperature control in a room next external device - the thermostat. From its functional depends on the size of the electricity costs. Agree to the weighted cost of purchase to understand the characteristics and capabilities of the device.
We will talk about how to buy the most suitable for the underfloor heating thermostat. In the presented contact article describes its variants, differing type of control, one of the fixing device temperature and mounting method. Are tips to facilitate the selection of the optimal model.
The content of the article:
- The operating principle of the thermostat
Types of control type devices
- Mechanical without electronics
- With electronic mechanism
- Programmable electronic devices
- With the remote control unit
- Types of temperature sensors for floor heating systems
- Rules thermostat installation
- Tips for choosing the instrument
- Conclusions and useful videos on the topic
The operating principle of the thermostat
The thermostat is designed to control the operation of the floor heating system (STP). It consists of an adjusting device and one or more sensors. Information on them is taken into account when activating and deactivating heating mats.
Thanks to the device in rooms maintained even temperature and minimized power consumption.
Rhythm incorporating heating mat underfloor heating can save half the electricity that pays for the cost of the thermostat a few months
Thermostats are easy to use, they can even use the teenagers. STP operation mode at the same time, you can change several times a day, without fear of breakage or premature equipment failure.
Minimum temperature can be adjusted individually for each room. In addition, some models allow the programming mode the device works during the day.
Types of control type devices
Regulation STF operation performed by a special device that is typically hung on a wall. It has the dimensions of a standard key switch and can be equipped with mechanical, electronic or programmable interface.
Mechanical without electronics
Mechanical thermostat does not provide for the presence in their structure of electronic components. STP wiring to go directly through the device, which adds to the problems during installation.
The mechanical thermostat is usually the limit switch. It allows you to quickly turn on / off the device without having to change the temperature settings
Temperature sensor function in a motor controller performs the usual bimetallic strip, which in the cold state closes the contacts of heating mats. By increasing the temperature in the room is curved and it disconnects the electric circuit, resulting in heat generation terminated.
regulating wheel interface is presented, which can be adjusted by turning the temperature in the room.
Such an instrument device has the advantages:
- Low price.
- Easy operation.
- Ability to work at lower temperatures.
- Independence from electrical surges.
- Long service life.
- Automatic activation after a power outage.
The simplicity of the mechanical thermostat and it causes disadvantages that may be critical:
- Minimum functionality.
- No remote control.
- The large error.
- Availability clicks when bending of the bimetallic plate.
Despite the simplicity of the mechanical thermostats are kept firmly in the consumer market due to its high reliability, simplicity and interoperability.
With electronic mechanism
Appearance of electronic thermostats for Electric underfloor heating may not differ from the mechanical devices. The main difference lies in the internal stuffing device.
Mobile temperature control units are usually powered by batteries, so they have no backlight displays. Setting up these devices in a dark room is difficult
Electronic regulators underfloor consist of the following components:
- Controlling chip.
- Internal or external temperature sensor.
- Electronic key for switching on and off power supply to the heating mats.
Temperature setting in electronic temperature control can be performed via the touch screen, buttons, adjusting wheel or a combination of these methods.
Some models offer multizone temperature control, in which a controlling chip independently connect several isolated zones underfloor heating with its sensors.
The advantages of electronic devices include:
- Ability to set a remote temperature sensor in any position in the room.
- Having display that displays the actual and desired temperature.
- Possibility of multi-zone heating control.
- The accuracy of the temperature sensor to a degree.
- Display in the event of an error or malfunction.
- Opportunities for external remote control.
electronic thermostat disadvantages are mainly due to the presence of his chips.
thermostats models are not tied to specific manufacturers. When mounting the devices may be combined with heating mats and sensors of various firms
The disadvantages include the following characteristics:
- The dependence of the stability of the controlling circuit from voltage transients.
- Failures in the settings by brief power outage.
- Higher price than mechanical devices.
Mechanical thermostats are only 15-25% cheaper than their electronic counterparts, so in the absence of voltage surges choice between these two types of devices is mainly determined by their appearance.
Effectively looking luminous displays are often the main motivating factor when buying a particular model of the thermostat.
Programmable electronic devices
The main difference from conventional programmable thermostats electronic devices is the extended functionality which controls the chip. This type of equipment allows you to set different temperatures in the room, depending on the time of day.
As a result, users receive a great advantage of power savings by reducing the air heating in an empty building
The cost of a programmable thermostat is directly dependent on the quality of the display and the number of parameters, which operates the instrument in their work
The programmable thermostat can also be provided for the remote control function with a smartphone via Wi-Fi.
The disadvantages of such devices include the high cost and complexity of the settings in the absence of skills of handling equipment. The rest of the pros and cons of programmable thermostats are the same as the conventional electronic.
With the remote control unit
In electronic and programmable thermostats internal components can be separated in two parts: the main and mobile. For the main box suitable electric cables and connect a wired temperature sensors. It can be located in any remote place in the room, making it easier to carry out the installation.
Some manufacturers of programmable thermostats produce their own applications for smartphones that setting, you can adjust the equipment to your gadget
A battery-powered mobile unit is used as a remote control. He can lie on a table or hung on the wall. Additionally, the panels can be installed external thermal sensors that measure the temperature of the ambient air. Such devices are convenient in that they allow to hide the adjustment mechanism of small children.
Types of temperature sensors for floor heating systems
Mode of operation of heating elements STP depends on the correctness of the temperature sensors measuring temperatures. They can be built into the housing of the regulatory boxes or placed at a distance.
Thermal sensors are of four types:
- To determine the air temperature.
- Infrared measuring the heating of a floor surface at a distance.
- To determine the surface temperature of the floor contact method.
Supply air heating is usually built into a temperature regulator or a mobile unit. It applies when floor heating is the main heating system. The main requirement for its location - the presence of the device around natural air circulation.
temperature sensors lugs must be made of good heat conductive materials, whereas the reaction rate in excess heating of the thermostat will be higher
Infrared floor temperature meters can be built into the thermostat housing or has a separate unit. The basic requirement to install them - the lack of between the sensor and the floor obstacles. The distance between the instrument and the analyzed surface should be at least 30 cm.
contact type thermal sensors have the form of a long wire with a thickening at the end. On the one hand they are connected to the block thermostat, and the other - housed in special long corrugated pipe under the floor. This feature allows for easy installation to replace a broken sensor to new one.
The advantage is the possibility of placing the underground floor multi-zone temperature control within the same premises. Typically, these sensors are installed at installation of underfloor heating as an additional heating system.
To a thermostat may be connected and a plurality of sensors, but such a scheme is preferably used within the whole set of equipment.
Rules thermostat installation
By suspended on the wall thermostat is necessary to bring the electrical cables and wiring from the temperature sensors. For this purpose in the plate are made corresponding grooves - Grooves. In these wires are routed to the electrical panel and the floor.
The floor sensor should be as vzaimoudalen from adjacent heating elements, or when they are switched on it will directly operate and disconnect the electrical circuit
If the equipment is placed in a room with high-quality interior decoration, you can use false instruments and lead the cables over the walls of the ducts.
The following are the basic rules which must be followed when installing thermostats:
- Post adjustment device is better at a distance of 40-170 cm from the floor, unless otherwise provided in the instructions. In the presence of a basic box mobile control panel can be installed in any convenient location.
- The main functions of the floor temperature sensor - warning of overheating flooring and foot comfort, but not thermal control air in the room.
- In wet room thermostats may be used with suitable protection against ingress of water.
- When installing the appliance into the wall using the mounting box made of non-combustible materials.
- The wires from the controller to the underfloor heaters capacity of more than 1 kW should be done in the hollow heat-resistant tubes.
- The floor sensor must be located between the heating elements and at least 50 cm from the walls.
- When you initially turn on the device, observe the minimum operating temperature specified in the instructions.
- Connect the wires to the terminals of the thermostat must be carried out exclusively by the scheme specified in the manual.
- the thermostat setting is effective only after the final placement of the heating elements on the floor, in order to properly calculate the length of the wires.
- When pouring a solution of the floor must be well insulated from the end of the tube a temperature sensor.
- Before pouring the solution onto the floor to check the operation of all system components.
- Heating mats necessarily grounded, and the RCD is set to a temperature controller.
Compliance with these rules will protect tenants from electric shock, home from fire, and equipment from premature failure.
Tips for choosing the instrument
When buying a thermostat is necessary to know certain nuances, to pay only for the required functions and ensure the longevity of the work floor heating systems and the device itself.
When you select the thermostat should pay attention to the quality of the plastic casing. If the manufacturer saves on it, you should think about the reliability of the internal components
These features include the choice of the following rules:
- For heating small rooms suitable low-cost mechanical or electronic thermostat with internal room sensor.
- Programmable thermostat is rational to buy, if necessary multi-zone temperature control, as well as to save energy during everyday absence tenants of the house in the daytime.
- The thermostat must correspond to the maximum power of the heating elements with a margin of 25-30% in the case of operation at reduced voltage.
- For homes with a wooden interior decoration only suitable overhead thermostats box.
It is also necessary to take into account its design execution the choice of instrument.
The current model range allows you to buy not only reliable equipment, but also a thermostat, which perfectly fit into the interior of the room.
Conclusions and useful videos on the topic
Videos with reviews of species, and examples of the installation of thermostats will allow a better understanding of their principle of operation and the selection criteria.
Video # 1. Classification and function of thermostats:
Video # 2. Detailed setting a programmable thermostat:
Video # 3. Temperature Sensor Installation in the floor:
Analysis of various thermostats lets say that their maximum functionality is not always justified from both a financial and operational perspective. Therefore, this equipment must be selected for each STP separately.
And how do you choose, secured and connected the thermostat for floor heating systems? Share what was a crucial reference point for you? Leave, please comment in the box located below, ask questions, publish useful tips and pictures of the article.