Properly grown seedlings are key to a good harvest. To plant seedlings in open ground at the age of 55-60 days. But what to do with the seedlings, which was not possible to land on time, and it outgrew? Let's try to deal with this problem and find out how to plant overgrown tomato seedlings. l backupslighting;
Understand how much overgrown tomato seedlings can be as follows:
- Not much overgrown seedlings will be 30 cm high , 4 leaves and elongated internodes. The planting of such plants does not require additional measures, except for hardening. Saplings take root pretty quickly;
- Medium overgrown saplings have a long stem 45cm , 6 sheets and buds already forming. Such seedlings take root poorly and the ovaries already formed may be the only ones;
- Strongly overgrown saplings with a height of 50–60 cm , on the stem 6 sheets and buds already flowering. Such a seedling rarely takes root, mostly dies.
How to harden overgrown tomato seedlings
Overgrown tomato seedlings weak immunity .Before planting it in the soil it is necessary to harden it. If you do not make the seedlings die.
In the first two days of hardening a plant, it is necessary for to be taken out onto the street in the overcast, warm weather .Humidity should be increased. On the street, leave the seedlings for 2 hours, in the future the time should be increased.
After a week, seedlings leave outdoors for the whole day .If the seedlings were grown in the presence of good lighting, and the temperature in the room was maintained at 20 degrees, then such plants will easily endure the hardening procedure.
Possible measures before planting the seedlings into the ground
- If the seedlings have outgrown and it is too early to plant, in this case it is necessary to cut off half of the bush with , put the top part in the water and after the roots appear in the ground. The lower part will grow from the stepson. Such seedlings begin to produce fruits 14 days later .
- Transplant seedlings in another container, a larger volume. Fertilizer must be added to the soil.
- Increase the capacity in height of the by attaching an additional cardboard ring to the top and pouring in the ground.
. Planting overgrown seedlings of tomatoes in open ground. The hole is covered with soil and well watered with settled water at room temperature.
Before planting, seedlings should be treated with a growth-stimulating drug. This will increase immunity and involve the internal forces of the plant.
Medium overgrown plants are planted with under the slope of .It is necessary to dig a hole so deep as to place the root and in it, 1/2 of the stem of the .The stem should be positioned under the slope and sprinkled with earth.
The soil should be poured with warm water, and around the trunk, black polyethylene should be attached to the surface of the soil. These measures will allow you to adjust the soil moisture to prevent rotting of the roots. For 14 days, fertilize with potassium fertilizer to improve plant immunity. Remove the lower leaves on the stem, since, remaining in the soil, they can cause the process of rotting.
Often gardeners make a mistake when planting heavily overgrown saplings. Dig a hole and bury the plant in it to the bottom leaves. The soil at this point is not warm enough yet and there is a threat that the roots of the seedlings will start to hurt and develop badly. Accordingly, the yield will be low.
To prevent these problems, heavily overgrown seedlings should be planted prone .To do this, on the beds dig an oblong trench. It should not be deep, about 10 cm , since the root system of tomatoes is located closer to the surface.
Pour 5-6 liters of water into the trench and wait until it is absorbed into the soil. It is desirable to pour humus on the bottom. The plant removes the lower leaves of the , the seedling is placed lying in a trench so that only the top of the remains on the surface of the .The root should be directed to the south, and the top to the north.
Furrow sprinkled with earth. An additional root system will be formed from the stem indented into the soil. The top of the seedlings must be tied to a support. The first week is recommended to do shading.
With the method of planting tomatoes lying their root system, is close to the surface. Performing loosening can damage the root. Therefore, it is recommended that the soil around the bush mulch .This will retain moisture and prevent the emergence of weeds.
Dry Transplant Method A.A. Kazarin
Another method of transplanting overgrown seedlings is the author's time to plant seedlings using the dry Kazarin method. The basis of this method is , the creation of extreme conditions for the root system .
With this method of transplanting the stem, which gave additional roots is looking for moisture, while growing strongly. By the time the fruits are formed, the root system becomes very powerful.
Consider the method of this planting step by step:
- Grooves dug into the soil 10 cm in depth ;
- Add to the well and mix with the soil:
- compost - ½ buckets;
- ash - 1 cup;
- manganese - 1 gram.
- Pour 5 liters of into the well of the ;
- Stalk split in half and tear off all lower leaves;
- Place part of the stem without leaves into the grooves and sprinkle with earth;
- From above pour additionally 0.5 buckets of water ;
- Tie the top of the head after it starts to pull up;
- In the future, stop watering.
After two weeks, the leaves will wilt, but there is nothing to worry about. The root system will actively grow. A month later, after planting, the seedlings are fully restored and become more lush and powerful. This planting method does not affect aging and harvesting.
Even under the most unfavorable conditions one should not despair. The situation can be corrected by applying one of the above methods. Take advantage of it, and get a good harvest!
- compost - ½ buckets;
- ash - 1 cup;
- manganese - 1 gram.