Contents of the article:
terry petunia It is impossible to overestimate the advantages of terry petunia. Corrugated, rugged and lush petals, low and compact bushes of this plant are the hallmark of this type of petunias. The variety of its colors is almost endless. It is difficult to find another such unpretentious and, at the same time, charmingly beautiful plant.
Petunia terry - an annual plant. Brazil is the birthplace of petunia, where it was first discovered in 1793.In 1834, her hybrid varieties were bred in England. Terry petunia is the result of many years of research by breeders and today it is difficult to imagine that these lush flowers have something in common with its unpretentious ancestors from South America. Petunia stems reach 30 cm in length, blooms from the first days of summer until frost. The color spectrum of flowers of petunia terry varies from white-boiled to dark-violet.
Since the variety of shades, the degree of terry, the shape of the petals and the size of the flowers of terry petunias are very large, flower growers use this type of petunias:
- to decorate apartments, balconies, public spaces;
- in single and group plantings;
- for registration tracks and borders;
- to create a bright spot in the flower garden.
Terry petunia is able to realize any flight of fancy. It is worth making a little effort to grow the seedlings of petunias, and she will certainly thank her a hundredfold and blooming throughout the summer. Petunia terry - is a win-win when choosing a plant for a flower bed.
Today we have a huge mass of beautiful hybrid varieties of terry petunia. The best grades of terry petunias will be considered below:
- Angora is a new hybrid variety .This unique flower will be the queen of the summer flower garden! Compact, luxuriantly branched shrub with small leaves forms a sea of delightful double flowers. It has a very beautiful appearance. Begins to bloom in early summer and pleases with friendly flowering. Unpretentious and resistant to wind and moisture. This sort of petunia is indispensable in the design of flower beds, balcony boxes, flowerpots, borders and flowerpots.
- Petunia "Valentine" is a hybrid variety of petunia with large salmon flowers with densely double corrugated petals. This variety can be easily confused with a clove. Plant height up to 40 cm, the bush is a powerful, densely branched, flowering is long and earlier.
- Petunia Terry "Sonata" - hybrid variety, large-flowered, very luxurious. The plant is powerful, with thick leaves, branchy. In height reaches 27-30 centimeters. The bloom is exuberant and long lasting from June to September. The flowers are deep white, fluffy terry. Petunias of this variety are disease resistant. Beauty attracts her attention, this is the prima of any flower garden.
- Tumbelina Priscilla is a new hybrid variety. The beauty of soft-lavender terry petunias is very exotic, resembling a rose. This variety of petunias has an extraordinary fragrance. The bush is very compact, densely dotted with flowers.
- "Pirouette" is a series of hybrids with large double flowers with densely dissected petals. The color of flowers from dark pink to red, in diameter of 10-15 cm. It is characterized by powerful bushy stems. During flowering extraordinary spectacular due to the smooth transition of color from white to dense pink.
- "Double Cascade" - magnificent terry flowers with wavy petals with a diameter of up to 13 cm, are similar in appearance to the carnation. The color of the buds is pale pink, pale lavender, lavender streaked, burgundy-colored, dark blue. Shrubs 35-38 cm tall branch densely. The peculiarity of this variety is that it blooms a couple of weeks earlier than other varieties of terry petunias. The plant grows in height up to 35 cm, and the diameter of the bush reaches 30 cm. The flowers are terry graceful from snow-white to scarlet color. Generously blooms throughout the summer season. Very unusual and exotic plant.
Terry petunias have weakly developed generative organs, or even none at all. Normal pistils and stamens are extremely rare. The seeds of terry petunias reproduce a small part of terry plants( 25%).As a rule, terry varieties of plants grow from the thinnest and weaker shoots.
In order to decorate your flower garden or balcony with a terry petunia in early summer, you should start planting seeds in February or early March.
. The technology of growing petunia terry from seed:
- to prepare the soil from a mixture of sand, humus and ordinary earth in autumn;
- to heat the prepared soil in a pan or in the oven;
- to fill the soil in the previously prepared containers;
- treat the soil with a solution of potassium permanganate to kill pathogens of fungal diseases;
- to let the ground dry for a day;
- not spread out the seeds thickly on the surface of the soil, without the formation of clots;
- cover the container or the surface of the soil with glass and set in heat;
- as soon as the shoots hatch, remove the cover and put the container in a well-lit place;
- water or spray regularly, but moderately, preventing the soil from drying out;
- in case the seedlings are drawn out, it is necessary to increase the illumination with fluorescent lamps and lower the temperature.
Care for terry petunias
In the phase of the emergence of 3 true leaves of the seedling, we begin to make a pick into separate pots or a box and plant them from each other at a distance of 4-6 cm. The spine pinch on 1/3 of the length. While the seedlings do not get strong enough, she wears her from sunburn. If the weather permits, young saplings should be taken out on the balcony for hardening, gradually extending the time spent in the fresh air.
It is also necessary to regularly fertilize seedlings at least 2-3 times a month, alternating between mineral and organic fertilizers.
It is desirable to conduct the second picking 20 days after the first picking, during which the distance between seedlings is increased to 7 cm.
When the plants are well established, to form a compact bush, you need to pinch the stalks of the petunia. Now the flower will have a neat appearance, properly formed and bush. Pinching can be done several times.
At the end of May, petunias are planted in a preselected place, be it a flowerpot or a flower garden.
Growing Terry Petunia by Cutting
In order to preserve the plant that was loved, the next year, gardeners have got the knack for reproducing terry petunia by cutting. For grafting, take the upper non-wooden shoots, on which there are at least two nodes with a length of 6 to 8 cm. Cut off the shoots should be placed in water in a transparent dish. When the cuttings begin to let go of the roots, the petunia is transplanted into pots or boxes with a mixture of turfy earth and sand.
The content of terry petunia in winter has a number of its features:
- place the plant closer to the light;
- to create a temperature regime of the order of 10-12 degrees;
- to ensure the most rare watering, achieving a complete dry earthen clod.