Eggplant - is considered one of the most unpretentious plants. However, it can be subjected to a large number of diseases, quickly responding to a change of soil, temperature drops. Most often, culture dissatisfaction is expressed by a change in the color of the foliage — it turns yellow and curls. And even if you were able to create the necessary conditions for growing eggplant in the greenhouse, minor errors in care can lead to very dire consequences. In this article we will learn why the lower and upper leaves of eggplant can turn white and what to do about it.
Table of Contents
- Reasons why the lower leaves turn yellow and fall off
- eggplant Improper care for seedlings
- Diseases or pests
- Why white dry spots can appear on the leaves
- What to do with
- yellow leaves How to deal with yellow spots
- How to find a redness stain, why the lower leaves of eggplant
turn yellow and fall The eggplant plant is slightly weaker than the tomato bush.From this and the difficulties with it are much more. The problem with the yellowing of the foliage is often found not only in open garden beds, but also in greenhouse conditions, and even on the windowsill. The situation can be aggravated by the fact that the yellowed leaves begin to fall off. And in order to correctly determine the cause of the problem, it is recommended to carefully examine the culture. The reasons for which the leaves become yellow may be very different. The simplest is to adapt to a new transplant site. Vegetable after planting may turn a little yellow. But after the seedling has taken root, the eggplant turns green again.
Gardeners often grow their seedlings when they grow yellow. This is due to the fact that the young sprout needs a large number of macronutrients and nutrients.If there are not enough of them, the upper leaves pull all the necessary substances from below. Those, naturally, turn pale, turn yellow, disappear.
Improper care of seedlings
White or yellow spots may appear in the following cases:
- yellowing of foliage may be caused by peaty soil on which eggplant is grown;
- insufficient ventilation;
- burns from the sun or lighting fixtures;
- irrigation and spraying in sunny weather, use of cold water for irrigation;
- low levels of potassium, macronutrients and other nutrients;
- nitrogen deficiency, which is needed for eggplant normal development. Only this component helps to fight the yellowness of the foliage.
Diseases or pests
If you notice that the leaves have turned yellow in the vegetable culture, the reasons may be as follows:
- mosaic of leaves. Light spots are formed on their surface. Ripe fruits harden. Most often, this problem occurs when growing vegetables in a greenhouse. This is due to the lack of lighting or lowering the temperature;
- fusarium wilt. Signals this eggplant with yellow leaves. The disease is dangerous, capable of destroying the bush entirely. The leaves lose their color, turn yellow, fall down, wither the twigs;
- fungus. Can get into the plant from the soil not only on the beds, but also in the greenhouse. The twigs twist, dry and fall away;
- low quality seed. It can be harvested from diseased plants or purchased from unscrupulous manufacturers.
Quite often, a problematic issue is related to the eggplant variety. It is likely that it does not suit the climate of your area, the composition of the soil does not meet the necessary requirements. Another problem is the violation of crop rotation rules. Eggplants are planted on one bed a couple of years in a row, or tomatoes or peppers turned out to be the predecessors of the crop.
Why white dry spots can appear on the leaves
The causative agent of white spot is considered a fungus. Root culture is affected. In the affected areas of the stem, the disease appears whitish, sclerotia accumulate inside( solid inclusions).After some time, they soften, causing disturbance of power from the root system, the bush dries and fades.
As a rule, such a problem is of character for seedlings that have just been transplanted to a permanent place, and the air is still quite cool. Seedlings can even shed yellow leaves.The affected fruit becomes soft and watery, with patches of white tint. The disease is focal in nature, its pathogens can accumulate in the soil.
What to do with yellow leaves
It is no secret that any problem can be solved if you understand the reasons for its occurrence. First, the plant is examined to reveal the presence of white and dry spots. At such a moment it is recommended to use a magnifying glass. If necessary, necessary measures can be taken to get rid of the problem.
Feeding the soil
- must feed the soil. Introduced complex compounds that contain the necessary macronutrients and minerals;
- apply fertilizers containing nitrogen;
- as a supplement, many use yeast or dairy solutions;
Elimination of errors in watering
- when watering the right amount of moisture is supplied;
- sometimes should not be watered for several days to allow the soil to dry out;
- One of the preventive measures is fungicide treatment;
- is sprayed with whey, onion or garlic peel extract, and soapy water.
Solutions are applied to the surface of the affected leaves so that each area is processed. When the disease recedes, the eggplant is gaining strength again and continues to develop.If it is not possible to perform timely processing, protect healthy bushes from such an undesirable neighborhood. To this end, the affected plants are simply removed.
Methods of dealing with white spot in the greenhouse and open ground
To avoid this problem, properly treat the soil, constantly clean the bushes from affected branches, leaves and stems, dusting problem areas with ash or chalk. For watering only warm water is used.
It must be remembered that if you do not take timely measures, and the pallor of eggplant leaves will change to a pronounced yellowness, the plant can not even be saved. It will lose the foliage and wither completely. Therefore, deciding to grow eggplants, do not forget to provide them with the necessary nutrients. Remember that from such problems eggplant is able to several times lower its yield.