Many gardeners have already paid attention to the new variety of sweet and hot peppers Bell. The vegetable has an amazing shape and is suitable not only for cooking, but also for decorating the site. The variety has many advantages and grows well both in the greenhouse and in the open field. Characteristics, the cultivation of the bell in the article.
Contents:.It belongs to the rare species of berry pepper. Bushes reach 2 meters in height. The fruits have an unusual shape in the form of a bell. Main characteristics:
- late ripening variety;
- yield up to 1.5 kg per bush;
- average fruit weight 50g;
- taste is sweet-spicy( combines bitter and sweet taste);
- growing season is 140-150 days.
Growing seedlings should start in early February. From the appearance of the first sprouts to harvest, it takes about 150 days. Like many burning species, the variety is resistant to diseases and pests.
History of the variety
Bell is originally from southern Africa, where it is particularly popular and is now .Only a few decades ago the variety was brought to us. Gardeners got a unique opportunity to grow peppers of an unusual type and taste.
Advantages and disadvantages of
Undoubtedly, there are many more advantages in the Bell variety than minuses. Main advantages:
- variety is multi-year;
- can be planted immediately in pots, and then taken for the winter;
- in the greenhouse can get a big harvest;
- variety is suitable for cooking a huge number of dishes: canning, salads, drying, for snacks, stuffing;
- contains a large amount of vitamin B;
- in hot pepper contains serotonin - the hormone of joy.
The only minus of the variety is that it will have to be expected within 5 months.
Gardeners recommend planting a bell in a seedling way. There are no differences in the care of this variety compared with the usual varieties. Seed preparation begins in early February. Seeds can be bought at a specialty store or asked from neighbors who have already managed to grow this variety.
Before sowing seeds, you need to select them. To do this, separate the large, medium from small. You can determine among the empty seeds as follows: add 20 grams to a glass of water.salt and put there seeds. Those that surfaced are considered empty. They can be safely discarded.
In addition to the selection of an important procedure - disinfection of seeds. This requires potassium permanganate 1%.Dip the seeds for half an hour into the solution, and then dry. The procedure is performed immediately before sowing.
The bell does not tolerate picking well, so it’s better to plant the seedlings immediately in peat pots with a diameter of 10 cm. It is not advisable to use large pots, as the peppers slowly develop the root system.
The soil should be light and loose, consisting of: humus and sand 1: 1.Add 20g of ash per kilogram of soil. Planting rules:
- After germination, change it to place it in a damp cloth for a couple of days at t +20.
- Plant a change of need to a depth of 3-4 cm. Sprouts can be obtained after a few days.
- It is recommended to immediately pour the earth and cover the pot with foil.
- When to sprout sprouts to put the seedlings where supported t + 25 + 28 in the afternoon, at night +15.
- Watering the plant infrequently so as not to cause root rot.
- Watering is done with warm water.
- Seedlings need additional coverage( especially in February-March).
A week before transplanting into the open ground, gradually seed the seedlings to cooler air. For this you need to make pots for several hours in the fresh air.
Transplantation in the open ground
When 3-4 leaves appear, the seedlings can be transplanted into open ground. The best time is my beginning, when the temperature at night has already stabilized to + 13C.
- Transplantation is carried out so as not to damage the roots of seedlings. The best time is evening.
- There should be a distance of 40 cm between the rows.
- A place in the garden should be sunny and windless.
- It is recommended to add ashes to the well and pour a little solution of potassium permanganate.
- Seedlings are moved to the hole to the leaves. The soil is mulched and watered.
Conditions for growing
Care is as follows: Water only
- with warm water;
- 14 days after planting fertilize the soil with mullein;
- during the flowering period to make ash solution;
- and in another 20 days, fertilize with calcium and potassium;
- when the formation of the bush will occur, it is recommended to pinch the side shoots;
- one month before harvesting, you need to pinch all the shoots.
As long as the fruit is green, it tastes sweet. As soon as the pepper begins to turn red, it becomes hot. Green peppers ripen for 7 days.
Diseases and pests
Bell is subject to aphid attack. To neutralize the plants from the pest, you can prepare the following solution:
- 200 grams of tobacco and 10 grams of ground pepper are brewed.
- A little laundry soap is rubbed into the mixture.
- Everything is diluted in 10 liters of water.
- Means sprayed on the leaves and soil.
A solution of celandine will help from the Colorado potato beetle; you can also plant beans near the pepper. It repels insects.
Anna, Moscow region: Every year I have a spider mite on my site. He attacks and pepper. To get rid of the insect using a mixture of onion and garlic. I spray the plant at any time during its growth.
Yulia, Krasnodar Territory: For seedlings I use soil from the site and ash. At the bottom of the pot puncture holes for easy suction of water. Peppers like very much. To taste sweet and sour.
The variety will decorate any garden, because the fruits look very elegant and look great on a festive table. Can be used for seasoning. However, it can be stored in this form for a whole year.