Peculiarities of the Avocado Home Tree Fruiting of this tree occurs very rarely. It is mainly used as a decoration element. If you are lucky, fruiting the tree begins at 3-6 year of growth. Its fruits are quite edible, although they are slightly inferior in taste to those brought. The plant cleans the air, and thanks to the original and lush crown, a warm and cozy atmosphere prevails in the room.
Conditions for growing avocado
To grow avocado from the stone at home you need to follow some rules. It is better to plant the seed in the spring, during this period there is an active growth of plants. For procurement of planting material, you must choose a ripe fruit that has no deformation.
Indicators of a ripe product are the peel of a dark-colored fruit, dense and elastic flesh, after pressing on the fruit, it regains its shape, the bone is easily separated from the pulp, the quality bone has the size of a quail egg.
If the product is slightly unripe, you need to put it in a paper bag with products that contain a large portion of ethylene - this is the gas that accelerates the ripening of fruits. These include bananas, apples or tomatoes. When storing the fruit in a temperature regime of 18 to 23 degrees, after 2 days, the avocado will reach the necessary condition.
Read also: It is important to know tomato diseases in person in order to help the plant in time
Avocado seed sprouting stages
Avocados are grown from bones at home in this sequence.
Extracted seed. To do this, a small incision is made in the center of the fetus, 1 cm deep and gently, with rotating movements, its bone is cut. Further, it is washed under running water without damaging the brown shell.
Before germinating an avocado, a place is prepared for its growth:
- A drainage system is placed in the pot, for which ordinary gravel or expanded clay is suitable.
- A nutrient mixture consisting of equal parts of humus, garden soil and sand is prepared. Since it is possible to plant an avocado directly into the soil, for the normal germination of its seed, it must have a loose texture.
- The prepared mixture is poured into a pot, leaving a little free space, 1–2 cm from the top edge.
Seed is germinated using a variety of methods.
How to germinate avocado bone
The closed method involves the germination of planting material directly in the ground. To do this, the bone is placed in the ground at 25 mm in depth, with the sharp end of the top and well watered, soaking the entire soil. The container is placed in a warm place, with good lighting and watered throughout the germination period. After 20–30 days, a sprout appears.
An outdoor method of growing avocados is to set the seed in a container with water, suspended. For this you need:
- to prepare a glass or other container;
- in the middle part of the seed, from different sides, make 3–4 holes into which toothpicks are inserted, 2–3 mm deep( they act as a support so that the seed cannot fully submerge into water, but only its lower part);
- seed is placed in a prepared container with cold water, a blunt end, and the immersion of planting material should be 1/3 of its length;
- instead of water, you can use a hydrogel, which is able to hold moisture for a long time;
- throughout the germination period, you need to make sure that the water level does not decrease;
- after the first root appears, the plant can be transplanted into the ground, but in order for the plant to stick, its roots must be at least 30 mm.
Read also: Growing broilers from the first day
For the emergence of the first roots it takes from 2 to 6 weeks.
Avocado seed contains a substance such as persin, which disrupts the digestive system and causes various allergic reactions. Therefore, the work is recommended to wear rubber gloves.
Conditions for growing avocado tree
Once the avocado seed has been planted at home, it is necessary to carry out a number of activities for arranging its place.
For normal growth of avocados, some requirements must be observed:
- Regular moistening of the soil, which is produced as it dries. On average, watering is done 1 time in 10 days. In winter, the trees are watered less often, letting the soil stand dry for a couple of days, this is necessary to maintain the optimum level of soil moisture.
- Maintaining humid air is achieved in different ways - setting up a pot with a tree next to crops that produce a lot of moisture, spraying the leaves of plants, in the summer season or heating, the pot is placed on a tray with wet sand.
- Providing a favorable temperature in the room, which should be in the range of 16-20 degrees. In winter, a favorable temperature is 10–12 degrees, as the plant falls into a state of rest and sheds leaves.
- Timely feeding plants. On average, it is performed 1-2 times per month. For dressing mixtures are used for growing ornamental crops.
When yellowing leaves, you need to pay attention to the frequency and amount of watering. This is usually a sign of excessive watering.
Making an avocado tree
Before growing avocado from a stone at home, you need to think through all the nuances of its decorative design:
- Some options include planting several sprouts in a pot, with a further interweaving of their stems, thereby obtaining a magnificent and original tree.
- To obtain a tall tree, it is recommended to transplant it at least once a year. The favorable period for this procedure is the end of February, the time when the plants are actively beginning to grow. The first transplant should be carried out when the height of the tree is 15 cm.
- To reduce the growth rate of the avocado, pinch its top. This procedure accelerates the growth of lateral shoots that make the crown lush and attractive.
Read also: When does a young nut begin to bear fruit?
Forming pruning is carried out in the spring, when active growth of all plants occurs. The first pruning of the top is made after 8–10 leaves, in the presence of side shoots, they are shortened after 5 leaves.
Read pro: use avocado for a man!
From Sprouting Bone to Formed Tree - Video