Home »Selection of household appliances »Electric engraver: what to choose, how to use and repair
Electric engraver: what to choose, how to use and repair
If you need to make a fine treatment of metal or wood, draw a pattern on a stone or a glass, then use an engraver. It performs the functions of a drill, grinder, milling machine, but on very small scales. Therefore, it is also called a mini drill and drill. Which device to choose for operation, how to maintain electrical equipment and repair it if necessary?
1Appointment and types of engravers
- 1.1Photogallery: what kinds of devices exist
2How to choose an electrical appliance
- 2.1Rating of the best with photo
- 2.2Reviews about engravers
3How to work with it: proper operation
- 3.1Preparation of workplace and tools
- 3.2How to use
- 3.3Safety precautions
4The engraver himself
- 4.1.1Video: how to make an electric pencil for engraving on metal
- 4.2.1Video: Electric Engraver
5Repair of engraver and consumables
5.1Analysis and troubleshooting
- 5.1.1Video: how to disassemble and check the device for breakage
- 5.2Repair collet and flexible shaft
6Selecting and replacing attachments
- 6.1How to replace the nozzle
- 6.2How to make attachments with your own hands
Appointment and types of engravers
The engraver is a compact electric tool, which processes various materials: wood, stone, glass, metal. The device performs not only drawings and inscriptions on the surface. This universal device can be grinded, milled, engraved, cut and drilled. Such a takeoff in the number of operations performed is possible due to replaceable nozzles. Graver is used where accurate accurate work is required. This jewelry and watchmaking, polishing in narrow openings, design, decor, modeling.
The appearance of the engraver resembles a straight grinding machine. The main elements: engine, gearbox, spindle, body. The nozzles are inserted into the spindle. Press the button to start the engine. Its rotational motion is transmitted to the reducer, and then, to the spindle, which turns the nozzle.
The following types of engravers are distinguished:
- rechargeable. Do not connect directly to the network. Used away from outlets;
- electric. Work only from the network;
- with a flexible shaft. This is a different length hose with a rope inside. The shaft is installed between the spindle and the nozzle. It plays the role of an extension cord. Working with such a shaft is convenient, since it is easier for an engraver, which weighs about a kilogram. You can hold it in your hand like a pencil. It is very convenient when making drawings, inscriptions, decorative processing;
- laser. These devices are machines. They are table and floor. The latter have large dimensions and are used in production. By type of laser engraving machines are divided into the following types:
- gas. Handle all materials: from skin to metal;
- solid state. Used for working with metal and plastic. Such a device marks products, puts symbols on a computer keyboard, makes inscriptions.
Photogallery: what kinds of devices exist
Classification of engravers according to the processed material:
- for metal. Used for working with solid materials: metal, stone, glass;
- on wood. For processing wood and thin plywood.
How to choose an electrical appliance
In order not to make a mistake with the purchase, determine two points: for what works you need a tool and the type of material blanks.Then analyze the following selection criteria:
- electric engraver or battery. Think about whether you need a power socket nearby;
- The main parameter of the tool is power. The greater the value of this characteristic, the better the tool will perform the task and better handle the hard materials;
- The second parameter is important for the selection of accessories. This is the size of the collet. It is designed for clamping and holding engraver attachments. The most common diameter of the collet is, mm. The minimum mm. If in the set you find collets of several sizes, then this is a big plus. Since you will have the opportunity to use a wide variety of attachments;
- speed and the possibility of adjusting them. This is a very important parameter, because there are nozzles that can not be used at low or high speed. Therefore, engravers with a large maximum number of revolutions and the possibility of their adjustment is preferable. Since they can use different nozzles, and therefore, perform a large range of works;
- weight of the tool. It is advisable to choose a light engraver, because the work on the implementation of patterns and grinding takes a long time. Hold a heavy tool in your hands for a long time is quite uncomfortable.
- when choosing a tool, considerable attention should be paid to the equipment:
- The presence of a flexible shaft in the kit will save you from the need for a separate purchase. The flexible shaft itself is very useful and increases the convenience in work. You can hang the tool on the hook, and take the flexible shaft by hand and work;
- the presence of a variety of attachments will also be a plus. There is a complete set with an entire suitcase of accessories. Perhaps, you will not need any of them at first, but afterwards you will already know what you need. And do not spend money on the right attachment;
- packaging matters. Well, if it's a quality case, in which an engraver is placed with all the accessories.
Rating of the best with photo
The battery charger Dremel 8200-1 / 35 is in the lead. This tool weighs only 600 grams, a high speed rotation with speed control. The battery at maximum load is enough for 15 minutes of work. Not so much, but the user rarely applies the highest speed. And the device is charged in one hour. After switching off, the automatic brake is activated.
The second place is the network engraver Dremel 200-5. This is a powerful and easy tool. Works quietly without overheating and vibrations. It is suitable for artists and home artists.
The third position is occupied by the network engraver Hammer MD 135 A. Easy, convenient, inexpensive tool. In a set of 40 various nozzles and three collets. This engraver gives way to second place due to rapid heating and unstable operation at the lowest rpm.
The fourth was Hitachi GP10DL rechargeable engraver. Accelerates to 35 thousand revolutions. Weighs less than 500 g. Long runs on one battery charge.
The fifth place is the network engraver Caliber 160. Powerful and revolving tool. Has 100 baits. It is completed with a case and a flexible shaft. Attachments from Dremel fit it. Disadvantages: vibrates at high revs, and regular nozzles are not of the best quality.
Reviews about engravers.
Advantages of the engraver ZUBR ZG-130EK H219: 1. Cheap, not very noisy. 2. A large initial set of baits - you can understand what is convenient and what is not, and what should be immediately bought for a normal dremel the next time the bison dies. 😉 3. Stepless speed control. 4. Dofiga glass-stone-cutting (50 or so) and polishing (30-40pcs) discs in the kit. But the metal-cutting only 5 pcs. In general, the device is worthy, especially considering its price (three times cheaper than a similar dremel).
https://market.yandex.ru/product/10556245/review? id = 91662 & amp; rack = tabs..
Features of the engraver Vega Professional VGM-200: build quality, assembly (case, stand, flexible shaft, additional collets, shrinkage) price. A good device for those who are looking for a lesson for the soul. It is great to work on glass at high speed with a diamond-coated nozzle, the main thing is not to forget to draw a pattern (pattern) with a permanent marker.
I bought the engraver Leroy Merlin DM-130 for small jobs, where you do not need a lot of effort, high speed. Grinding wheels face and frontal, circular grinders of different numbers, drills, engraver nozzles, GOI paste, Cut-off wheels (thing !!!) of different thickness, metal brushes!... And everything seems to be well clinging, inserted, seated and fastened! It works loudly, but does not vibrate, and it is valuable for those who plan to carry the inscriptions on metal. Turnovers are regulated by a "wheel" -regulator in the "plus-minus" side. The device liked its "patency" and unpretentiousness.
I purchased the engraver Dild MD-2 MF not for professional work, but, let's say, for the house. Very pleased with the price for the set - 2700 rubles, as well as a rich set (indeed, a lot of everything goes in the kit). If you often use, it is not very convenient to pack everything back into the case. From the shortcomings I can note the lack of a Tripod-stand. Not a particularly informative instruction (you can figure it out without it, but nevertheless an unprepared person may have problems). In the kit there is a polishing paste in the tube, however how to remove it from there, still remains a mystery)) The regular disk for polishing (something type felt) turned in about 2-3 minutes of work (I do not know how many they live on other engravers, well, maybe he is guilty - he pressed strong…). In terms of the rest of the complaints, perhaps not. Although among the removable cutting discs one cracked. It was not immediately possible to figure out how to screw a flexible shaft. but so far only positive impressions. For my money I just advise! obviously better than the Chinese will.
How to work with it: proper operation
In order not to damage the product when working with the device, you need to know the rules of use and safety.
Preparation of workplace and tools
- Select the table with free space.
- Install a powerful lamp so that all small details can be seen.
- Cover the surface of the desktop with paper or cloth. During cutting and polishing, dust and shavings are formed.
- Stock up with carpentry tape, pencil or felt-tip pen to apply the drawing. Scotch is needed to fix a draft on the surface. The paper tape is easy to peel off, it does not leave any traces. To apply patterns on a metal, plastic or glass workpiece, degrease the surface with alcohol so that the marker does not flush. On the tree, apply the original drawing with a pencil.
- Prepare all necessary attachments. For this, read the instructions to the device. There is a description of the purpose of all consumables.
- If you bought an engraver complete with a suspension, then install it in a convenient place. It helps to get rid of vibrations during work and to reduce the error. When installing the suspension, be guided by the location of the flexible shaft. He should not interfere.
How to use
- Wear cloth gloves so that the hand with the tool slides easily over the surface of the workpiece and no stains appear on the product.
- If you are a beginner, select the minimum speed. Then the pattern will be even, the strokes will be of one depth, and the material will not be damaged. Turn on the engraver.
- Circle the outline of the picture. When finished, go to the drawing of small parts.
- When the pattern is finished, use a soft felt nozzle. It usually comes complete with an engraver. This equipment is removed by roughness.
- Before operation, check the integrity of the network cable and work items;
- Use protective goggles to prevent sparks and dust from entering your eyes;
- for drilling and cutting materials, hold the device firmly with the entire hand. So you will avoid arbitrary movements, damage to hands and working material;
- If the snap is stuck, do not pull it out of the workpiece. First disconnect the engraver from the mains or remove the battery. Then remove the nozzle;
- When the case is warmed, turn it off and wait for it to cool. If the device does not have a cooling system, then it will be necessary to interrupt frequently. So, you avoid overheating the engine. The instruction describes the operating time;
- When purchasing consumables, make sure that they match your instrument. They should have the right size of the shank and approach the number of revolutions of the engraver.
For the tool to work fully for many years, it is necessary to control the state of the working equipment. If, during visual inspection of the nozzles, various damages are found, replace them with other marks of the same brand as the engraver. Only in this way does the tool manufacturer provide a guarantee of the efficiency of the device and a long service life.
After each cycle, clean the ventilation holes in the housing. With their help, the engine is further cooled. But when processing wood, plastic or glass workpieces, the holes are clogged with dust. The resulting contamination affects the productivity of the tool and causes its breakdown. To avoid this trouble, you need to clean the garbage carefully with a damp clean cloth. It can be soaked in soapy water. To avoid damage to the housing, do not use alcohol, solvent or gasoline. The snap-in, which was used in the process, also needs to be cleaned.
Adhering to these simple tips, you will be using the engraver for a long time and get a high-quality result of the work.
The engraver himself
The device can be made from the simplest improvised tools.
This method is suitable only for engraving on conductive surfaces.The rod of a simple writing pencil consists of graphite, which passes the electric current well. With a pencil under the current, you can make engraving on a metal surface. Such a pattern will only be wiped off by a grinding machine. You will need: a pencil with an eraser on the end, a plug for a socket with a two-wire cable, a light bulb on 100 W, rubber gloves, two pieces of wire, a crocodile clip, a metal blank, for example, knife.
- Remove the eraser from the pencil and drill it in the middle.
- Pass the wire through the hole. Remove the insulation from a few centimeters and twist the exposed area. Sharpen the pencil lightly at the place where the eraser was to improve contact.
- Install the eraser with the wiring on the pencil.
- Take the lamp. Connect a pencil to one terminal, and the other end to the plug cable. Unused wires connect to the "crocodile" and to the free vein of the plug. Connect the metal clip to the knife. The design is ready.
- In order not to spoil the workpiece with an accidental blot, first apply a black inscription. Wear rubber gloves for safety. Turn the device on and start working. During the engraving between the pencil and the knife a spark is formed, which causes the drawing.
Video: how to make an electric pencil for engraving on metal
Using this option, you can perform different operations.You will need: a connector for a power supply with two wires, a button, a plastic bottle with a lid, a power supply 12 V, 12 V motor, a piece of plastic pipe 10 cm long with an internal diameter slightly larger than engine.
- Drill a hole in the pipe for the switch. Lubricate the engine cover with hot melt to secure it in the pipe.
- Insert the motor into the pipe. Insert one of the wires into the hole.
- Plug one wire of the power supply connector into the tube and pass through the hole. Take the button. Solder to it two wires sticking out of the hole. Insulate the contacts.
- You should have two free wires: from the motor and from the power supply connector. Put them together.
- Cut a piece of neck with a lid from the plastic bottle. In the center of the cover, drill a hole under the connector. Glue the connector to the cover, and the cover to the pipe.
- Take the 12 V power supply and connect it to the connector. Press the button to test the engine.
Instead of the connector for the power supply, you can install a pair of batteries.
Video: Electric Engraver
Repair of engraver and consumables
The main faults of the engraver and their causes:
- engraver is not included. You need to charge the battery when it is available. And turn it on again. If the problem persists, check all wires and motor with a multimeter;
- Do not twist. Reason in the power button or the engine;
- twists weakly. Not enough power. Check the brushes;
- rustles or crunches. Reason in gearbox or bearings;
- sparks or warms. The motor is faulty.
Analysis and troubleshooting
To identify and fix the problem, the tool needs to be dismantled.
- Unscrew all screws on the case and remove the cover. Disconnect the wire from the housing to reach all the electricians.
- Unscrew the plastic covers and remove the brushes. If you wear at least one 40% change both.
- The rotor simply does not pull out, the bearing rests against the brush holders. Pry them with a flat screwdriver and lift. Remove the rotor.
- The stator with the switching unit is held on the quick-release arms. Carefully disconnect these knots.
- Place the multimeter in the continuity mode. Apply the test leads to the plug and the contacts on the power unit.
- To diagnose the stator, connect the test leads of the tester to the opposite terminals of the winding.
- If the multimeter does not light on one of the pairs, check for visible damage. To do this, remove the thermal clamps and inspect the conclusions. The gap will be noticeable.
- If there is no visible damage, then the winding is cut off or closed. Then change the stator.
- To rotor the rotor, first connect the adjacent lamellas at the anchor. Then put one probe on the iron of the rotor, the other - alternately on each lamella. In case of a malfunction, change the rotor.
- Twist the bearings on the motor shaft. They should not rustle. Replace defective parts.
Video: how to disassemble and check the device for breakage
Repair collet and flexible shaft
If the collet stops clamping the nozzles, you need to unscrew the clamp tip and remove the collet. The broken part can not be repaired, and the clogging between the petals must be cleaned regularly with a thin sharp object. They interfere with a full clip of attachments.
A flexible shaft is a hose with a cable inside. The cable must be greased with graphite grease. To do this, bend the shaft and the cable will come out through the sleeve. Pull it out and oil it.
If the cable breaks, then it must be replaced.
Selecting and replacing attachments
When choosing a tool, consider the diameter of the collet of your tool. If necessary, buy a set of collets of different sizes.
Types of nozzles:
- carbide-tipped. With different types of notches. They have large and small heads. Are intended for preliminary processing or intermediate operations;
- diamond. Made of steel with diamond coating. Very productive. This is the main working tool;
- disk holders. They are fitted with cutting, rubber, felt wheels;
- rubber with corundum. For metal working;
- abrasive. For processing ceramics, stone, glass, metal;
- felt. For polishing wood.
How to replace the nozzle
It is necessary to loosen the collet, remove the nozzle, insert the other and turn the collet. To install a flexible shaft, the collet must be removed. Install the rectangular adapter, and on it put on the sleeve of the flexible shaft. Screw the collet onto the working end of the shaft.
How to make attachments with your own hands
- Take the abrasive cutting wheel. Cut a circle with the scissors of the desired diameter. Make a hole in the center.
- Cut the piece of the rod from the handle. Take the small cog. Put on it a circle and a piece of the rod. You got a mini-cutter with a cutting circle. The rod is needed in order to press the circle against the cap of the screw.
- The grinding mill can be manufactured in a similar way, using a lighter drum. It is made of durable material and does not wear out for a long time.
- A thin drill is suitable for engraving.
The presence of an engraver in the farm allows you to perform a variety of operations. And do not necessarily draw patterns or drill holes in printed circuit boards. Just remove the rust from the bolt or clutch will help you engraver. Sandpaper or grinding machine is much more difficult to do. And if you do not want to spend money on the device, you can collect it yourself. This tool will be easier to repair. I replaced the engine or the worn out self-made nozzle and the problem is solved..