The specific smell from the sewage in the apartment is hardly compatible with the cozy homely atmosphere and thoughtful housing design. You should not try to disguise it with various air flavors: you need to establish the cause and solve the problem.
We will tell you how to deal with the negative atmosphere created by the spread of unpleasant volatile compounds. The article proposed for consideration describes in detail the causes of the appearance of sewage odor and methods for its elimination. Given our recommendations, the disgusting “flavor” will disappear forever.
The content of the article:
- Sources of stench: common options
- Improper installation of communications
- Problems of general sewage
Disruption of the operation of the apartment wiring
- Implicit leakage result
- Lack of tightness of the system
- Blockages and how to eliminate them
- Malfunctions in the siphon
- Problems with the water level in the water seal
- Incorrect operation of ventilation systems
- Incorrect operation of the washing machine
Other causes of odor
- Mold and fungus indoors
- Poor plumbing fixtures
- The smell of sewage in a private house
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Sources of stench: common options
Modern houses are equipped with a well-designed sewer system designed to remove residual waste products. Its functioning is accompanied by specific odors, since the effluent flowing through the pipes emit hydrogen sulphide and other unpleasant-smelling substances.
With proper operation of the sewage system, the “aroma” in the rooms (including the bathroom, kitchen, toilet) is almost imperceptible. Its appearance is indicative of malfunctions in the operation of technical communications or plumbing fixtures.
When the smell of sewage is important to establish its source. If this cannot be done on your own, it is important to immediately contact specialists.
The most common causes of stench can be:
- Errors made when installing the sewer system. The appearance of odors in the room may be due to improper installation of pipes or loose connections.
- Breakthrough sewer pipe in the central or residential wiring. A leak can be either obvious or practically imperceptible: there is often enough microcracks or a joint untreated with a sealant to seep in gases and moisture.
- Improper siphon assembly quality or malfunction. This component of plumbing design plays an important role in preventing the access of fetid gases.
- Clogging pipes or drains. Municipal waste, hair, and food garbage accumulating in siphons or pipes begin to rot, emitting a specific “aroma”.
- Hydroseal malfunction, as a result of which the “water block” is destroyed, which prevents the appearance of sewage odors.
- Defects in the functioning of ventilationwhich are equipped with apartment and private homes. The system is designed to divert the stench from the sewer; if she does not cope with the task, the stench penetrates into the apartment.
- Incorrect connection or violation of the rules of operation of the washing machine. In some cases, a useful unit becomes a source of a specific odor.
In addition to these, there are many other reasons that cause "odors" in the room. Some of them are easily removable, others require the help of specialists, and often voluminous and expensive work.
Below, we will look at various sources of the stench in detail and describe what measures should be taken in specific cases.
A photo of
All the reasons as a result of which the sewage spirit begins to be felt in the apartment can be conditionally divided into local and general violations.
Violations in the sewer system, confined to a single riser, are associated with blockages in the public pipeline and in the absence of traction in the common riser
If there is nothing wrong with public networks, the smell is caused by a siphon clogged or an error in its installation, in which water from the water seal flows into the sewer during use by instrument
Often the cause of the appearance of negative odors in the apartment is damage to the pipes and equipment of the sewer system, both public and owned by the owner
Smell - the cause of violations in the sewer
Lack of ventilation and blockages in the pipes
Siphon clogging and hydraulic leakage
Major damage to pipes and equipment
Improper installation of communications
If the tenants who entered the new house, feel in the rooms is not too pleasant "flavor", perhaps the builders or independent home craftsmen made mistakes in the device sewer system.
Due to violations associated with the laying of pipes - especially non-compliance with the angle of inclination, which is prescribed in the standards, wastewater in the pipes can stagnate, causing a specific smell.
When laying the sewer system, it is important to comply with engineering requirements: all work must be carried out in strict accordance with current regulations
The cardinal way to get rid of the stench will be a complete replacement of communications with the laying of a new system in strict accordance with the technical conditions.
In some cases (using plastic pipes) the situation can be saved with adjusting the tightened pipe connections, replacing gaskets, installing specially selected sealing cuff.
In order to prevent clogging periodically required to produce flushing the sewer system, the rules for the implementation of which will introduce our proposed article.
Problems of general sewage
If unpleasant smells are especially felt in the rooms on the lower floors and in the entrance, the reason for their appearance most likely lies in the basement wiring.
The most obvious reasons are:
- damaged pipe with escaping sewage;
- blockage of the centralized system caused by the actions of residents who violate the accepted regulations for the operation of plumbing devices.
Problems arising in a centralized communications system are considered an emergency. Fluid leakage not only poisons the air, but also promotes the development of microbes, causes dampness in residential areas, washes away the foundation of the house, causing its destruction.
To resolve this situation, you should immediately contact the Management Company (Housing), writing a detailed statement of the situation. After the repair, it is important to ventilate the basement well, in order to eliminate the accumulated moisture.
It is possible to get rid of the negative smell in the apartments of the upper floors with the simplest strengthening of work. fan stand:
A photo of
To solve the problem of the emergence of sewage "odors" on the top floor of a high-rise building is possible by simply upgrading the system. For example, install a hood on a fan pipe with a check valve 150 mm. It can be purchased at the plumbing-selling store.
The mouth of the channel with the fan riser is cleaned and leveled to install the plastic guide part
Fix the cement mortar guide and assemble the construction of two pipe sections with a diameter of 110 mm and an angle tap. The construction was set slightly obliquely due to the brick that was not cleaved before installation. Ideally, the slope should not be
We connect the exhaust device to the horizontal pipe outlet so that its axis is horizontal. Fasten the structure to the wall with plastic clamps. We connect the power line to the device, connect it, check it, use it.
Step 1: Purchase of a check valve for the sewer riser
Step 2: Arrangement of the ventilation pipe for pipe installation
Step 3: Assembling and mounting the valve attachment
Step 4: Install a check valve in the nipple
Disruption of the operation of the apartment wiring
If the smell is felt only in places where hygienic appliances are installed, it can be assumed that it is caused by defects in the apartment wiring.
When an unpleasant odor appears in the room, it is worth first of all to examine the cabling in the apartment, checking the tightness of the connections and the presence of implicit leaks
As a rule, the flow from the pipe is immediately visible, but other, less visually noticeable variants are possible, which are described below.
Implicit leakage result
In sewer systems made of traditional cast iron or currently popular plastic, fistulas, cracks, and other defects may appear.
Since pipes are often walled up in walls or in the floor, it is quite difficult to identify and eliminate such defects. It is especially difficult to determine the flow in interfloor partitions with difficult access to the sewer system.
A drain in a sewage system often becomes a source of unpleasant odor. To eliminate the need to replace the damaged item or seal it with a special composition.
In the place of the appearance of an unpleasant odor, as far as conditions permit, check the pipes and their contact with the plumbing immediately. If necessary, you should call a specialist who will diagnose and solve the problem professionally.
Usually, the system is replaced or sealed with modern materials or a cement mixture that does not contain sand (for cast-iron pipes) to eliminate leakage.
In order to avoid such defects, when installing apartment wiring, you should not forget about the following rules:
- when installing communications, use only high-quality pipes, fittings;
- to carry out the laying according to the scheme providing the minimum number of joints, since leaks most often occur in such nodes;
- installing pipes, provide access to installed systems;
- take care of high-quality waterproofing of walls, floors in bathrooms, in the kitchen.
Such measures will provide effective protection against leakage, and, if necessary, will quickly eliminate the leak.
Lack of tightness of the system
Appearances the smell of sewage in the bathroom or the kitchen can also be caused by a leakage when connecting pipes or when they are connected to a sink, sink, or other sanitary appliances.
Particular care should be taken to connect the sewer pipe. To prevent the release of moisture and odors, the joints should always be treated with a sealant.
It is important to carefully check the nodes that connect the devices to the sewer network, fix them, and then carefully remove the minimum gaps and cracks with a sealant. Often, such a simple manipulation allows you to get rid of the smell of sewage in bathrooms and in the whole apartment.
Blockages and how to eliminate them
Frequently encountered sources of foreign odors are blockages that can occur in siphons and pipes. To avoid this problem, you must follow the rules of operation of sanitary devices.
The mesh in the drain hole of the sink or sink retains pollution, effectively preventing the formation of blockages in the siphon or sewer pipes
Such elementary devices as protective nets for trapping installed on the sink or sink drain holes can provide great help.
To eliminate the "aromas" caused by pipe cloggingIt is important to clean them regularly, which can be done in different ways:
- traditional plunger;
- more complex hydrodynamic devices;
- special chemicals.
When choosing a method, it is important to take into account both the degree of clogging and the material from which sewer pipes. So, for systems made of cast iron, it is undesirable to use cleaning products containing aggressive components.
Malfunctions in the siphon
The culprit in the unpleasant odor that appeared in the kitchen or in the bathroom can be a siphon - a knee-like curved device that is under the sink, sink, bathroom. Due to the specific form of this device, its lower part is always filled with water, which prevents sewer gases from entering the room.
Improper assembly or malfunctioning of the siphon - an important component of plumbing fixtures - may cause a specific odor in the room.
The appearance of an unpleasant smell can be caused by the following violations of the installation and functioning of the siphon:
- Wrongassembly. Outlet pipe should be located 2-3 cm below the water level in the trap. However, one should not lower it below the specified distance, since in this case the height of the water plug will decrease and it will easily be torn off by flushing water.
- Lack of a bend of a corrugated pipe. There are several varieties of siphons. Particular attention should be paid to the installation of the device with corrugation: this option requires independent the formation of a knee-shaped tube, which is fixed by clamps or other special devices.
- Reduced quality of flutes. Over time, this part is stretched, cracks appear on it, which break the seal. The solution is to replace this component with a similar new one. It is also important to remember to regularly clean the corrugated pipe to prevent clogging.
- Drying of a water seal. With easy-to-use water in the siphon can completely evaporate, as a result of which a sewage "odor" will begin to penetrate into the room. Simple but effective measures will help to remedy the situation: before the planned trip, completely fill the siphon by adding a little vegetable oil to the water. It will cover the liquid with a thin film that prevents evaporation of moisture. You can also plug the drain hole (and, if necessary, overflow) previously wetted with a damp cloth. After returning home, you need to drain the remaining water and re-fill the siphon.
- Siphon clog. Even a well-functioning siphon can emit a peculiar odor, due to the deposition of fat, food, and other substances on its walls, the decomposition of which causes stench. To prevent this, it is important to regularly clean the siphons in the bathrooms and in the kitchen, pouring boiling water into the sink hole (sink) and / or using special household chemicals.
Specific "aromas", the cause of which is a siphon, are fairly easy to stop. It is only important to follow a number of simple rules when installing and operating this device.
To prevent blockages and to take care of the sanitary device, the siphon should be periodically cleaned:
A photo of
Understand that the cause of the appearance of a negative smell in the kitchen has become a clogged siphon under the sink, will help slowly leaving the water in the drain and unpleasant-smelling compounds
In order to clean the siphon, it is necessary to disconnect it from the sink. Turn off the top nut, with which the siphon is attached to the drain
Disconnect the siphon from the drain pipe. Turn off carefully, trying not to tear the thread and not spill the contents of the bottle
Remove the sealing rubber ring from the pipe and unscrew the locking nut of the outlet pipe
We disassemble the siphon, unscrew the bottom from the main body of the device
We release the siphon from the dirt accumulated in it, washing it under running water in the bathroom. Walls and threads are cleaned with an old toothbrush, using any detergent to speed up the cleaning.
After processing the inner and outer surface of the case and the separated parts with a powder or an abrasive sanitary composition, carefully wash all the components
Under the stream of water wash my rubber seals, for the purification of which we do not use caustic and abrasives. Enough to handle soap
Step 1: Determining the cause of the smell
Step 2: Unscrew the retaining nut
Step 3: Disconnecting the siphon from the drain nipple
Step 4: Remove Seal And Retaining Nut
Step 5: Dismantling the bottle washer siphon
Step 6: Cleaning the cabinet with an old toothbrush
Step 7: Finishing washing the siphon parts with water
Step 8: Flush Seals for Re-installation
After clearing the siphon from the accumulated dirt, the device must be assembled and installed in the proper place:
A photo of
Before performing the reassembly and installation of the siphon, we clean the discharge pipe of an old toothbrush that has been washed off after previous actions.
We dry the disassembled parts and connections with a cloth to assemble the system with maximum tightness
After installing the sealing ring on the body, fasten the bottom to it. Twist with medium force, try not to damage the device. Install the body into place, screwed to the drain fixing nut
We process the cone-shaped element of the discharge pipe with a sealant, then fasten it to the siphon
Step 9: Cleaning the Discharge Pipe
Step 10: Drying Parts and Connections
Step 11: Assembling the siphon housing for installation
Step 12: Processing the discharge pipe with sealant
Problems with the water level in the water seal
Possible problems in siphon operation are often associated with water seal - water stopper, with the "knocking out" of which smells and gases begin to flow into the apartment.
A similar situation may occur when the pressure in the sewer system increases, the air coming from the pipes is able to “knock out” the water seal. This usually happens when a large amount of fluid is drained dramatically from a reservoir. However, the process can also be gradual, carrying out the imperceptible ingress of gases stretched in time into the apartment.
The water seal or “water block” located in the knee of the siphon creates a reliable barrier preventing sewer gases from entering the apartment
When the sewer system completely overlaps the sewer pipe, it is filled with discharged air, which pulls the liquid out of the siphon like a pump. It is necessary to flush the water, and the water trap will be completely eliminated, and the gases will freely pass into the premises without encountering any obstacles.
The latter option is usually caused by two reasons:
- The use of pipes of small diameter, which does not correspond to the dimensions specified in the relevant regulatory documents.
- The formation of blockages or icing, partially or completely overlapping the cross-section of communications.
To eliminate the first reason it is necessary to change the pipes for components of good quality. To eliminate blockages, clean the system; when ice forms, warm it well with hot water.
Installation of the vacuum valve will help to get rid of the malfunction of the water seal:
A photo of
Vacuum valves are available for installation on ventilation risers and on connections to sanitary fittings. To solve problems with the water seal will require a second crimp
The vacuum valve normalizes the pressure in the system, so that when using the plumbing does not create a vacuum, due to which water from the water trap is sucked into the sewer
Installing a vacuum valve will regularly supply fresh air to the sewer circuit. Due to the pressure of fresh air, the contaminated will be squeezed out into the fan pipe, and then out
The sewage vacuum valve will not allow leakage of polluted air from the system to the room, despite the fact that it freely passes clean air inside
Types of vacuum valves for sewage
Connecting the siphon to the sewer through the valve
Device for supplying air to the circuit
The device to eliminate negative odors
Incorrect operation of ventilation systems
The reason for an unpleasant odor may lie in the improper functioning of the house ventilation system. The natural traction of such communications is sometimes not enough to successfully cope with the task entrusted to them - eliminating the stench from the sewage system.
Check this figure can be quite simple: attach a regular piece of paper to the ventilation grille, which is usually in the bathroom and / or in the kitchen. With a good sheet will stick to the holes, with insufficient - fall to the floor.
To cope with the problem in the following ways:
- Independently: additionally putting the fan, which will increase the level of air circulation.
- With the help of specialists: professionals will clear the blockages in the laid ventilation ducts, increasing their cravings.
After solving the problem, you must also perform waterproofing activities in sanitary facilities.
Incorrect operation of the washing machine
The reason for a specific “flavor” can be a familiar unit — a washing machine-automatic.
With insufficient care in the drum of a washing machine, colonies of fungi and microorganisms that cause unpleasant odors in the room can settle
The smell can be caused by the following reasons:
- Incorrect connection of the device relative to the hydraulic valve that caused the sewage to enter the system. To fix it, it is better to disconnect the hose from the sewer, leading it to the toilet or sink.
- Clogged filter drain pump (most often it is located at the bottom of the machine). Sometimes, to eliminate the unpleasant smell, it is enough to clean this part.
- Plaque on the walls of the tank or tray for detergents, which is caused by the development on the surface of the mold and other microorganisms. To eliminate them, it is important to regularly clean the components of the washing machine with disinfectants, vinegar, citric acid.
To a useful unit does not poison the atmosphere with a stench, it is important to follow the rules of care for this type of home appliances. It is advisable to periodically turn on the high-temperature wash mode, which allows to get rid of harmful fungi and bacteria.
The best way to permanently get rid of the likelihood of an unpleasant odor due to a washing machine is to connect it to a bottle siphon under a sink in the kitchen or under a sink in a bathroom:
A photo of
We study the instructions and determine which of the hoses is designed to drain dirty water from the machine. Most often it is located on the back side and is connected to a drain system inside the case.
Release the hose down to connect the washing machine to the sewer siphon
Connect the hose to the side outlet on the siphon and fix the connection with a hose clamp. If there is no side outlet on the siphon, buy a new device or use another method
If there is no possibility or desire to connect the hose of the washing machine to the sink siphon, you can bring the drain directly to the sewer outlet. For this, a hose must be put on the hose, which will tightly block the sewer pipe.
Step 1: Preparing the Washer Hose for Connection
Step 2: Hose outlet layout for connection
Step 3: Connect the drain hose to the siphon
Sealing ring for sewer discharge
Other causes of odor
In addition to the above reasons, quite often one has to deal with other sources of smard indirectly related to the sewage system.
Mold and fungus indoors
Specific "flavors" may be associated with the activity of unicellular organisms. In case of insufficient waterproofing or freezing of surfaces, the walls and ceilings of a bathroom or other rooms may develop mold coloniesthat emit putrid odors.
To get rid of microorganisms, it is necessary, first of all, to be engaged in improvement of the room, eliminating leaks and warming the partitions. The areas affected by the fungus must be thoroughly cleaned with a spatula, rinsed with a washing composition with the addition of vitriol and dried well, then covered with a chalk composition.
Poor plumbing fixtures
Sources of stench can be a variety of plumbing. "Aroma" can produce plaque, accumulating due to stagnant water in the toilet bowl and on its piston. To get rid of it you need clean the plumbing regularly disinfectants.
Unpleasant smell can be associated with just bought plumbing, made of low-quality plastic. In order not to face a problem, it is better to purchase kits from proven manufacturers, made from certified raw materials.
The source of the stench in the apartment can be a leaking mixer. Constantly flowing water from it can cause rotting of a wall or other surface.
The cause of the stench can be a leaking mixer, which caused the rotting of the adjacent surface. It is important to change gaskets and valves in time, keeping the taps in top condition.
The smell of sewage in a private house
Private homes are usually equipped local sewer systemwhich is characterized by extreme sensitivity. The slightest change in operating conditions can cause the appearance and rapid spread of the stench.
In addition to the above reasons (blockages in pipes, leaks, disruption of the siphon and water trap), residents of cottages and country houses often encounter a specific source of stench. Namely, the functioning facilities for wastewater treatment (septic tank), where the sludge drains with their subsequent purification by microorganisms.
With the death of bacteria, the recycling of waste stops, and the residents face the problem of how to urgently remove the monstrous smell from the sewage system that has seized the whole house.
The death of microorganisms that are important in wastewater treatment can cause an unpleasant smell in a private house.
The extinction of microorganisms can be triggered by the following factors:
- The use of aggressive household chemicals with the presence of chlorine or other similar components.
- Shallow laying of pipes and septic tank to the soil. To prevent icing of water in the sewer system, they should be below the level of soil freezing.
- Long absence of stocks, which can be caused by a long absence of owners. In this case, the bacteria are left without a nutrient medium, as a result of which their colonies die.
To eliminate these causes, you should be well aware of the rules for using a septic tank and strictly abide by them.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
The video below describes the main sources of unpleasant odor in the room and the possibilities for its elimination.
The putrid odor in the house should not be tolerated: it not only irritates the smell, but also contains gases and microorganisms harmful to the body. It is important to identify as soon as possible the source of the smell from the sewage system in the apartment in order to eliminate it on its own or by attracting specialists.
Tell us about how you yourself struggled with a negative sewer odor. Comment, please, the information provided by us in the block below. Here, ask questions, share effective methods to combat odor, place thematic photos.