Looking for parsley on a window sillphosphorus and other substances essential for the body. Such an additive to many dishes makes them healthier and tastier. But with the onset of winter, the beds go under the snow, and the greens bought in the store are not for the better different from the one grown on their own plot.
Parsley grown in an apartment will help to compensate for the deficiency of vitamins and not letting you get bored of flying. How to grow parsley on the windowsill, and what conditions are necessary to obtain juicy strong foliage? The plant is quite unpretentious and, subject to certain rules of care, it easily tolerates cultivation in a container or flower pot.
Conditions for growing parsley on the window sill of
Before planting parsley, you need to take care of the soil for it and suitable containers.
The soil for parsley should be light, loose and nutritious enough for the plant to actively develop in a limited volume of the pot.
A mixture of one part of peat, the same amount of humus and twice the volume of garden soil will fit this crop. Before mixing, the ground is spilled with a solution of potassium permanganate to eliminate pathogens. When the mixture is ready, if necessary, it is lime and phosphoric and potassium additives are added to the soil. If for sowing parsley you can use small peat pots or transplanting containers, then the plant, which forms a powerful taproot, will need a deeper capacity.
Read also: August gardener's cares in the garden of the villa
When choosing a pot for growing parsley on the windowsill, it is better to turn to those that have:
- from 20 cm depth;
- drainage hole;
- sufficient volume for the required number of plants.
At the bottom of the tank, a drainage layer of 1.5–2 cm is made. Now you can proceed to planting and, further, growing parsley on the windowsill.
How to grow parsley on a window sill from seeds
If you grow parsley from seeds, you can try the first green leaves from your own garden on the windowsill 1.5-2 months after the seeds hit the ground.
This method requires more time and effort, but for two years the plants will delight with lush green caps. Before planting parsley, you should select the seeds. According to experienced gardeners, it is better to give preference to varieties of early ripening, which will bring the first cut of greenery for at least a week. And curly parsley on the windowsill shows itself to be less sensitive both to insufficient watering and to dry air, which is very important in the conditions of an apartment and working heating.
Parsley seeds are characterized by long sprouting, you can speed up the sowing by soaking them for a day in warm water, which will have to be changed periodically. Before planting the seeds themselves, in order to protect future sprouts, they are dipped into a thick pink solution of potassium permanganate for a few minutes. How to plant parsley in an apartment:
- The distance between the holes make about 5 cm. If the shoots are thicker, they will have to be thinned when there are two or three leaves on the shoots.
- Close up the prepared seeds into a moist soil to a depth of 0.6–1.5 cm, sprinkle with earth and water carefully again.
- The pots are covered with a film and put on a lighted place with a temperature of 17–20 ° C.
- So far, in 10–15 days, the shoots will not seem, you need to ensure that the soil does not dry out, or mold does not appear on the soil surface.
Read also: Begonia Elatioor
Caught sprouts grow rapidly. At this time, the film is removed, and special attention is paid to watering and lighting the plants. Water parsley on the window sill should receive 2-3 times a week, and top dressing combined with watering and held 1-2 times a month, starting from the moment when the plant has formed a good outlet of greenery.
Growing parsley from root crops
To get greens by planting roots, it is better to choose large healthy rhizomes, weighing about 65 grams.
If the root is too long, do not bend or fold it. Before planting parsley, these roots are cut with a sharp knife so that it is 12–15 cm to the top bud.
The place to cut is powdered with crushed charcoal and treated with a rootberry, for the fastest rooting.
- Planted rhizomes can be at intervals of 3 cm, making sure that the points of growth of foliage during backfilling remain above the soil level.
- While the parsley root system is acclimatizing and restoring, the pots are darkened and placed in a cool place, where temperatures would be within the range of 12–16 ° C.
- The appearance of the first green is a sign that it is time to put the parsley on the windowsill, where the temperature is slightly higher, 18 –20 ° C.
From this point on, the parsley on the windowsill can be watered and started to feed once a month, dissolving 5 grams of complex fertilizers per liter of water.
Read also: Dachan’s Calendar November: Garden Work
Parsley Care on the Window Sill
Describing how to grow parsley on the windowsill, you cannot bypass the issue of caring for plants while they are actively giving greens. To the foliage was bright, juicy and lush, do not do without regular watering, and it is better not to use the water poured from the tap. It contains many elements that negatively affect the state of plants and the quality of foliage.
- Moisture intended for irrigation, be sure to defend and make sure that it is not cold.
- On hot days, as well as in winter, when there is heating in the apartments, the parsley on the windowsill is sprayed with warm water.
- When a crust is formed on the soil, the soil is loosened carefully, trying not to damage the root.
If parsley is grown on a window sill in the autumn and winter, when there is not enough natural light, special ones, such as LED or fluorescent lamps of the white spectrum, are suspended above the plantings.
The daylight hours for parsley should be at least 13 hours, otherwise the petioles begin to stretch, the foliage becomes shallow and grows worse.
Especially important is the lighting for young plants at the stage of formation of true leaves. You can collect greens when it grows to 10-17 cm, the leaf is well formed, and there are other, younger ones to replace it. Cutting begins with the lowest leaves, carefully cutting them and leaving 3–5 cm petioles. And with careful attention and care, parsley on the windowsill gives high-quality greenery all year round.
Parsley on the windowsill in the winter - video