The article describes and describes the variety of tomatoes Japanese crab: its distinctive features, advantages and disadvantages, agrotechnical requirements.
The garden season has come to an end. The owners of personal plots summarize the results, evaluate successes and failures, make plans for the future. And you can already worry about updating the set of varieties in the future season. Such a novelty in the greenhouse can be tomato varieties Japanese crab.
This variety has already attracted the attention of vegetable growers, because everyone who has tried its fruits even once has become its constant admirers. It is considered one of the best tomatoes for salads from all known.
Table of contents
- is a member of the
- website. The Japanese crab was bred by for growing under the harsh conditions of the Siberian climate about 10 years ago.
The variety is mid-seasoned , it can be grown both in film shelters and greenhouses, and in open ground, asIt is able to withstand temperature extremes. In the absence of frosts and low temperatures, fruits can be harvested until November.Tomatoes of this variety are extremely tasty, they are large in size and have an unusual ribbed claw shaped form.
- The crop ripens approximately 110-115 days after germination;
- Tall and indeterminant( unlimited height);
- Require garter and pinching ;
- The best results are given by formation in 1-2 stems;
- Fruits are large, the weight of one fruit from 300 to 500 grams. ;
- With 1 sq. M.you can collect up to 11 kilograms of fruit;
- A variety is not considered a hybrid, self-pollinated.
Sowing and growing seedlings
Tomato seeds can be purchased from such companies as: "Harvest Good Luck", "Aelita", "Siberian Garden".
The Japanese crab variety, like most large-fruited tomatoes, is grown through seedlings. For future seedlings, it is better to purchase a special ground , for peppers and tomatoes .It should be a mixture of turf and humus lands in equal parts.
The composition should be decontaminated one of the following ways:
- Calcify the composition in the oven at 200 degrees;
- Spill pink solution of potassium permanganate;
- Spill boiling water.
Before sowing for decontamination, soak seeds for 20-30 minutes in a pink solution of potassium permanganate, and then rinse in running water.In order not to catch the seeds from the water, first put them in gauze.
- Prepare special containers, such as plastic cups. Can be sown in the general container for seedlings.
- The ground in the container is lightly compacted and wetted with .Make it grooves with a depth of not more than 1 cm at a distance of 3-4 cm from each other. Seeds are laid out with a step of 2-3 cm and sprinkled with earth.
- The container is covered with film or glass. Before the emergence of shoots, the temperature is maintained at about 22 degrees, and the soil should always be wet. After the emergence of shoots, the capacity is set in an illuminated place, but in the first 4-5 days they try to maintain heat to a temperature of 17-20 degrees.
- At night, during the entire period of seedling growing, the temperature is maintained at up to 12 degrees so that the plants develop a good root system..When the first true leaflets appear, the daytime temperature is raised to 22 degrees. Bookmark flower brushes in tomatoes is directly related to light. The better the light, the faster floral brushes are laid.
- After the appearance of the second true leaflet, the seedlings swoop .
- Fertilizing should be done with complex fertilizer.
From seedlings grown in cramped conditions, low-yield plants will be obtained.
Planting in the ground.
. As a rule, is planted in indoor soil in early May. .The Japanese crab variety plants require a lot of space, therefore, on 1 sq. M. is planted by no more than 4 plants.
Tomato predecessors may be cabbage, cucumbers, legumes. The best soil is loose and nutritious. But on the open beds young plants are planted after the threat of night frost disappears.
AgrotechnikaImmediately after planting, take care of plant supports.
To form a bush is better than in one or two stalks of .Promptly remove excess leaves and stepchildren. Particularly intensively stepchildren are formed above the first flower brush, their regular removal improves the lighting of the shrub, its flow rate and increases the future harvest.
Watering tomatoes should be once a week. is better than early in the morning or in the evening with settled water only at the root. The plants themselves are undesirable to water, it provokes the appearance of fungi.
In the hot period it is better to feed with nitrogen fertilizer, with plenty of rain - potash. Plants should be fed three times per season , more often it is not recommended, becauseas a result, the growth of leaves will increase, and the ovaries will become smaller.
The soil around the plants requires to mulch with mowed grass, sawdust, which will allow it to retain moisture longer and increase yields.
The first brush with 4-6 future large fruits is formed above the eighth or ninth leaf, the next - every two leaves. Indeterminate bush will give about 11 brushes. Since the fruits are large and heavy, the garter of the hands is obligatory.
If during the formation of the fruit the temperature drops to 4 degrees, the buds may peel off. It is this ability of abscission of ovaries at low temperatures that is one of the main disadvantages of the variety.In addition, it is believed that the variety bred for the Siberian climate will not feel very comfortable in the southern regions.
Vegetable growers reviews.
The absolute majority of reviews about the Japanese crab variety are positive. Fruits excellent sweet-sour taste , the pulp is dense, juicy, with a minimum of seeds, which makes them ideal for salads, cooking sauces and other tomato products.
According to the culinary reviews, the salads to which Japanese crab tomatoes have been added retain their high palatability and presentation for longer.
Japanese crab bred for Siberian latitudes, resistant to apical and root rot, tobacco mosaic, late blight .But in a situation of excessive humidity, for example, with prolonged rainy weather, phytophthora may still appear.
In order to prevent the development of the disease, immediately after the first signs of the disease appear, the plants should be treated using special means: Fitosporin, Trichopol and ash. Spraying of plants is carried out every three days .
The variety of Japanese crab does not require special skills in its cultivation; it is only necessary to observe the proper agrotechnique of indeterminant cultures and do this by putting soul into the process. And then he will surely delight vegetable growers with an excellent harvest of tasty pink claw fruits.