frequency of teeth. Poor cut quality is often caused not by a bad blade, but by the wrong choice of the blade. In this case, there are many characteristics that you need to focus on when buying. Therefore it is necessary to figure out how to choose a band saw.
The most important criteria when choosing a saw are:
- the amount of work and the frequency of their implementation;
- wood characteristics( thickness, rock, moisture);
- shape, size, frequency of teeth;
- blade width;
- sharpening quality;
- manufacturing company.
All these parameters affect the main characteristics of the cut:
- its evenness;
- cracks and chips;
- vibration in progress.
Scope of Work
The simplest criterion is the amount of material that needs to be cut. For one-off use, it is better to choose a cheap canvas with standard hardness. For constant use, you need to purchase the highest quality band saw for wood. A durable steel tool will last much longer, so the investment will pay off.
Width of the blade
The width should be chosen on the basis of the working conditions. First of all, you need to focus on the type of machine, recommendations for choosing a saw should be found in the operating instructions.
The width of the cloths varies in the range of 14-80 mm, the standard value is 38-41 mm.
Also when buying, consider the following nuances:
- thin blades quickly bend when working with coarse wood;
- wide blades give a smoother cut;
- thick saws easily deform thin and plastic bars due to strong heating;
- is sometimes required to make a cut at an angle, and this greatly affects the depth of cut.
Read also: How to choose an electric plane for amateur and professional
What are the teeth of
Before you choose a band saw, you need to decide on the type of teeth that are optimal for work.
First you need to decide on the density of the dentition:
- the more often the teeth are, the better the cut is, this is especially important when performing decorative works;
- the less they are, the higher the pressure on each individual tooth, it is suitable for hardwood;
- the more often the teeth, the more evenly the stress is distributed on the web, it is less deformed;
- the more often the teeth, the lower the pressure on each and the longer they serve.
The following parameter is the size of the teeth:
- large sizes are needed for rough cutting, for example, for sawing large logs;
- small size suitable for thin plywood and decorative work.
Be sure to consider the tooth pitch, there are 2 recommendations:
- a wide rhythmic pitch is needed for thin plywood;
- narrow step is needed for thick bars.
To prevent the blade from clogging, for cutting soft rocks, we select cloths with variable pitch.
In a band saw, the teeth on a tree are not exactly flat, but at an angle to each other. This design is called wiring, it is necessary in order to reduce the level of vibration, and this has a beneficial effect on the durability and duration of the tool.
Read also: China surprises - 2 kW circular saw
Standard wiring consists of a triple with alternating teeth inclining left and right and another straight tooth that stands between them. This type is used in most works, can be used for contour sawing. Group wiring is different in that the straight and teeth, inclined to the left or right, are in pairs. This form makes sawing more efficient, but the fabric is also more expensive.
The shape of the teeth should also be considered. It is better to select the profile to the type of wood that is to be cut:
Difficult, but very important parameter for evaluation. It is necessary to check the sharpness of the teeth; experience is required to do this manually. You also need to make sure that the material is homogeneous; this can be assessed by the uniformity of the color and texture of the metal. Whenever possible, buy blades where they provide web re-dressing services. If you want to sharpen a band saw on a tree with your own hands, then do not forget to specify how many cycles are allowed for the blade.
Manufacturers of saws
Mostly high-quality tools are produced by European and American companies. When choosing a saw, special attention should be paid to the manufacturer:
- Arntz( Germany).The largest company that supplies saws to all European countries. Differs in high quality, but also the corresponding price. There are high-strength hard alloy wheels in the range.
- Lenox( USA).The company is interesting in that it applies a special Armor coating of its own design( aluminum-titanium nitride) to all of its cutting discs. The tool differs in the high durability and long service life.
- Wikus( Germany).The assortment of the company has a large variety of tools. By the number of different models, it is the leader among saw manufacturers.
- Forezienne( France).The company produces high-quality discs that undergo repeated calcining. Tools differ in the exclusive cutting indicators, high durability.
- Lennartz( Germany).One of the largest firms, but it concentrates on the production of band saws. The choice of disk tools is sufficient, but not so big.
- Doall( USA).A small company that produces high-quality equipment. Saws serve long, possess excellent operational indicators. The company has successfully established itself in the market.
Read also: Choosing a circular saw for wood in the workshop
Make a saw with your own hands
With skill and special tools, you can make the blade yourself. The mechanism of the machine itself is extremely simple, it resembles a bicycle with a wheel and pedals, but between them is not a chain, but a saw blade. The first wheel joins any rotary engine( a drill can be used).The second wheel is needed only for fixing the saw.
A band saw is made on the tree with your own hands in accordance with several rules:
- Special attention should be paid to the machine frame and wheel attachment. The design must withstand strong vibration, and the wheels must rotate easily and sit firmly on the machine.
- Saw must be securely fixed, it should not fly off and hurt someone during operation. This is a major safety requirement.
- The blade itself must be purchased in the store, as it is made of special steel, and it is very difficult to make the teeth correctly.
Making a band saw with your own hands - video