Amateur gardeners agree that plum is the same plum. But this opinion is wrong.
Plum and cherry plum are fruits that have differences in nutritional value, taste, and other characteristics.
Table of contents
- How to distinguish a plum from a cherry plum: a noticeable differencefrom cherry plum: a noticeable difference
Gardeners note the following differences between plum and cherry plum:
Plum and cherry plum in the process of their growth in need of regular cyclic pruning. Improper care leads to the transition to periodic fruiting.
- Fruit color .Cherry plum is in most cases represented in a yellow-red color, and plum in a dark blue.
- Different chemical composition of and nutritional value. In the plum, the sugar content is higher, and the calcium is less.
- Place of growth .Cherry plum is common in the southern regions and especially in the Caucasus. This is due to its low winter hardiness. Plum can be found in all countries with a temperate climate and even in the north.
- Different ripening times .Harvest of cherry plums is obtained in the late summer and early autumn, the plum ripens earlier. Cherry plum seedlings begin to bear fruit 2 years earlier than plum trees.
- Flowering .Velvet pink inflorescences in cherry plum appear simultaneously with the blooming of the foliage. Better than others tolerate cooling. For the tendency to early awakening plum used for decorative purposes. Plum flower buds give 1 to 3 white flowers.
- Draining is easier to dry with , which results in prunes.
- Stone in all varieties of cherry plum is not separated .This is a biological feature that cannot be called a significant drawback.
- The annual yield of cherry plum is higher than that of plum and reaches up to 40 kilograms from one tree.
- Alycha is less susceptible to pests and numerous diseases, undemanding on soil composition. In our natural conditions, plum is grown without special means of protection. Because of this, it is called an environmentally friendly culture. Plum is prone and unstable to pests.
- Indispensable cherry plum in the preparation of the famous Georgian tkemali sauce. Seasoning is suitable for meat, fish, poultry or a side dish of potatoes, pasta. In the original recipe, the sauce does not contain sugar, salt.
You may be interested in our publications:
- Prunes and plums What is the difference.
- The most common diseases of plum and their treatment.
- When and how to collect plums from the tree?
When buying a plum or cherry plum , they initially evaluate their appearance. Fruits should not be crumpled, crackling or with signs of rot. The presence of white bloom on the surface is considered normal.
Russian Plum, alycha
The nutritional value and chemical composition of
Cherry is one of the original forms of plum home .Its fruits are loved by many for its unique sweet-sour taste and juiciness. Use both fresh and in the preparation of desserts, preserves, sauces, jams.
Recently, , Russian scientists have identified the fruit in a separate botanical form - “Russian plum” .Caloric plum average of 27 kcal per 100 grams of product.
Most of the varieties are self-productive .In this regard, on the garden plot several varieties of cherry plum are planted at once, necessary for mutual pollination.
Mature fruits contain:
- vitamins of group B, E, PP, C, provitamin A;
- iron, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, calcium;
- pectic substances;
- ascorbic acid.
Cherry plum is combined with various products, such as meat, poultry, vegetables, cheese, cottage cheese. It can be frozen and dried.
Among the popular varieties of cherry plum it is customary to single out: Shater, Bounty, Granite, Kuban Comet, Nesmeyana.
Useful properties and harm to the body
Cherry plum is not only a tasty fruit. It has many useful properties.
Cherry plum fruit is used for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes with for prolonged constipation, vitamin deficiency, metabolic disorders.
The dietary product is consumed by people who want to lose weight. Regular use of ripe fruit is an effective measure for the prevention of cataracts.
Water infusions of flowers have shown efficacy in the treatment of kidney and liver diseases, disorders of the reproductive system in men.Cherry plum juice helps with colds, refreshes and tones the body, has a beneficial effect on the nervous system.
Pitted shell is used in the production of activated carbon.
The dried pulp of the preserves its palatability and is included in the daily diet as an anti-scintillant.
The greatest benefit can be obtained by using using fresh cherry plum .Mature fruit has a characteristic aroma and dense skin without damage. All useful properties after freezing are stored in full.
Especially delicious cherry juice , when it is blended with other berries and fruits. Often it is used as a filler for yogurt.
The fruit is recommended for children, pregnant women , elderly people, athletes. Perfectly quenches thirst and fills with vitality.
Cherry plum is recognized by official medicine as a useful fruit, but should be monitored for consumption of .Otherwise, the probability of poisoning the body, the appearance of heartburn, nausea and gastrointestinal disorders.
Up to 5 fruits can be eaten without harm to health.
Contraindications for cherry plums include for children up to one year old, individual intolerance, and an increase in the acidity of gastric juice. The fruit should also be abandoned for people with diseases accompanied by diarrhea.
The benefits and harms of plums, the chemical composition of
Juicy plums to many people have to taste, but the fruit is valuable not only for its taste. The fruit contains , a large number of nutrients - vitamins C, A, B, PP, as well as potassium, phosphorus, iron and others.
The average calorie content of the plum is 42 kcal. Regardless of the variety, the fruit has a number of useful properties:
- reduction of puffiness;
- relieve constipation, atony;
- cleansing the intestines, the body of toxins;
- elimination of the accumulation of bile;
- strengthening the walls of blood vessels, muscles of the heart and nerve cells;
- normalization of the liver;
- stabilization of blood pressure;
- antipyretic effect against colds and infectious diseases, which is accompanied by an increase in human body temperature.
As well as fruits, fruit plum leaves are also useful. In their composition there is coumarin, which prevents blood clots and thins blood. Rinsing the mouth with a decoction of the leaves is used at the first symptoms of stomatitis.
To avoid harm to the body, should be careful when consuming .Fruit is a danger for diabetics, nursing moms, in the presence of gallstones, gout and rheumatism, individual intolerance.
The popular varieties of plum among gardeners include: Mirabelle, Honey White, Tula black, Alyonushka.
Use in cosmetology
The rich vitamin composition of cherry plums and plums allows you to use fruits in cosmetics. Regular application of masks will slow down the aging process, moisturize the skin, as well as narrow pores.
Extract from stones of cherry plum and plum is widely used in perfumery, in the production of medical soap.
In practice, the following recipes of traditional medicine are used:
- Mask based on softened plum and sour cream. Moisturizes the skin, giving it a healthy look.
- Cherry plum seed oil is used in the fight against stretch marks in pregnant women.
- Nutritious cream with cherry plum, egg white and starch.
- A decoction of plum or cherry plum fruit will allow the hair to return its natural shine.
- Cherry plum juice with chamomile extract and baby cream. Recommended by dermatologists for dry, flaking skin.
Plum Face Mask:
Ability to Transport
The harvest time for an depends on the time the fruit is ripening for a particular variety. The most important thing is not to delay the collection. Over-grown fruits will quickly begin to crumble on their own. In this case, they will be poorly stored.
Cherry plum is much better to transport than plum. If the fruit is to be moved for a long distance, fruit picking is carried out 5-7 days before full ripening. Boxes with small openings are suitable for transportation.Cherry plum and plum removed from the stem. Harvesting is carried out in dry weather. This will avoid rapid rotting. The fruits are removed in 2-3 doses, as their ripening on the tree is gradual.
If the grower has decided to grow plum or cherry plum on his plot, you should carefully consider the choice of a particular variety. The end result depends on it.
Plum and plum are the two closest relatives of , who belong to the same botanical genus, you can distinguish them.