The kitchen sink made of artificial stone has the most ambiguous "reputation".Sometimes they are called the best, and sometimes - the worst of them all. For example, users often complain of indelible stains, chips, scratches and even. .. falling off the bottom.
- Much of the controversial feedback is confusing. After all, the “artificial stone” is often called both acrylic stone and agglomerate of granite / quartz. Meanwhile, these two materials are very different from each other despite the external similarity.
In this article we will look at different types of artificial stone, compare this material with ceramics and stainless steel, and also give some tips on choosing and operating "stone" sinks.
Tip 1. Cast( composite) washing is better than glued( acrylic)
Sinks made of artificial stone are glued and cast. Outwardly, they practically do not differ, but cast sinks are stronger and more durable, and therefore somewhat more expensive. However, both types of sinks are good in their own way and have their weak points. Let's reveal this moment in more detail.
Glued sinks( sheet, acrylic)
Such sinks look like monolithic and absolutely seamless. However, they have seams, because the bowl is glued together in two parts - the sides and bottom, which in turn are made of sheets of artificial stone based on acrylic resins. Next, the product is covered with gelcoat - a protective layer with a thickness of 1-2 mm with a characteristic light gloss. The gelcoat clogs the pores of the stone base, thus preventing the absorption of tea, coffee, wine and other coloring liquids and products.
As a rule, after repeated “home” polishing, the acrylic wash will scratch less.
Cast sinks( other names: composite / agglomerate sinks, artificial granite / quartz / marble sinks)
Casting technology allows you to create a monolithic structure, due to which the sink is more impact resistant and heat resistant. The manufacturing process is as follows: the composite stone in a liquid form is heated and placed on a template( matrix) and left to cool completely.
|If desired, the composite washing can be cut vegetables. And the sink can be washed with abrasives||Higher price( from 4 tr.).The average price is 12-30 thousand rubles. By the way, it is twice as expensive as stainless steel sinks|
|Withstands shocks. If a cast-iron skillet falls on the sink, the bowl / wing will not crack, and the bottom will not fall||Smaller choice of shades|
|More resistant to temperature differences||Inset composite sinks cannot be repaired and polished|
|The molded composite sink cannot be repaired and polished|
|The molded composite sink does not have to be repaired and polished|
|The molded composite washables can not be cleaned with a combustible powder. For example, European sinks of artificial stone will withstand temperatures up to 280 degrees, Russian - up to 180 degrees. For comparison: a hot frying pan heats up to 180-230 degrees|
|The chemical inertness of an artificial stone allows washing with any means - based on alkalis, acids, acetone,|
|chlorine. Washing of artificial granite or quartz agglomerate does not yellow and does not fade with time.|
|The life of the compositewashing is 10-15 years|
Tip 2. The optimal ratio of stone chips and bonding base - 80:20
Any artificial stone consists of a mineral component( granite or marble crumb) anduyuschego component( polymer or acrylic resin).The quality of the washing directly depends on their percentage ratio in the composition. Each manufacturer has its own "corporate recipe" for the manufacture of the material and the patented name. So, for example, Franke called his “stone” fragranit, Blanco - sil- granite, Teka - tegranite, and Omoikiri - tetra-granite. How to understand which composite wash is better?
- They say that the more rock crumb material and fewer pitches, the better. However, this is not so simple.
The fact is that the more stone crumb( for example, 85%) and the less binder, the more resistant to scratches and high temperatures will be washing. But at the same time, it becomes less impact resistant. And vice versa: sinks with a predominance of the binder component are more impact resistant, but less resistant to scratches and contacts with hot dishes / boiling water. Therefore, choosing a sink made of artificial stone is based on their needs. If you rarely use heavy dishes, it makes sense to choose a model with a high content of minerals.
- Want to choose the average option? Look for a sink in which the proportion of stone chips is 80%, respectively, the proportion of binder and additives is 20%.
Tip 3. “Marble” sinks are worse than “granite” and “quartz”
Artificial stone is made of granite, quartz or marble chips. Sinks from artificial marble( cast marble) less shock-resistant and resistant to attrition, scratches, differences of temperatures, UV rays. But they are cheaper.
Tip 4. Buy a sink made of artificial stone only from a reputable manufacturer and from a company with goodreviews
Sinks made of artificial stone( both cast and glued) can be finished( cut-in / overhead and manufactured at the factory) and made to order( these are usually integrated models or models of non-standard sizes / shapes).In the latter case, the manufacturer needs to choose particularly meticulous, because a lot depends on the "assembly", and not only on the material. If an unscrupulous manufacturer violates the manufacturing technology or instead of the claimed Korean / German “stone” uses a fake, then the sink may just burst.
- Ideally, when choosing a firm of artificial stone washing, you need to focus on the reviews of those who use the sink for at least 2-3 years, and preferably about 5 years.
- Providing a guarantee is also an important selection criterion. The longer its duration, the more the manufacturer is confident in his product. Most firms offer a 1 year warranty, but some 3 or 5 years.
- Ready-made mortise and overhead washers made of artificial stone are produced by the following companies: Blanco, Franke, Longran, Poligran, Omoikiri, Granfest, Alveus, Zorg, Schock, etc., LG, Hi-macs, Samsung, Tristone, etc.
- Bypass building markets and unnamed stores - you can run into fakes in them. It is safer to buy stone sinks from dealers and in official representations.
Tip 5. Want a practical wash? Refuse to buy a dark wash
Dark wash - the brand. Limescale, rust, water droplets and food residue on a black or dark brown background will be especially noticeable. The most practical sinks are beige and light brown with pronounced "specks."
Tip 6. DO NOT buy a “stone” sink if you have a page 89from an artificial stone it is worth choosing model from a stainless steel:
- If you want to get a sink together with a grinder. The fact is that because of the vibrations and the weight of the chopper itself, the sink may crack( especially acrylic).In this case, it is better to choose from stainless steel.
- If you are used to accumulating dishes in the sink, for example, for washing in a dishwasher. Stagnant water, liquids and pieces of food leave a patina on the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- If practicality is your priority, rather than aesthetics, because only a stainless steel sink will give you the opportunity:
- Drain boiling water, not including cold water;
- Shaking the rest of the food off the fork or blade around the bowl;
- Put hot dishes on the side of the sink;
- Do not wash the dishes immediately.
Tip 7. Make sure that the sink has a delay to the center
When choosing a sink made of artificial stone, pay attention to the presence of a small delay to the center( to the drain hole).This is necessary so that the water drains into the drain, and does not stagnate at the bottom, leaving a dirty patina.
Tip 8. You can choose the same mixer for a sink made of artificial stone
So the working area of your kitchen will become especially stylish. True color of the mixer will be slightly different from the sink. Diffuser is not a marriage, because the sinks are completely made of artificial stone, and the mixer is only covered with a stone coating.
See more: How to choose a faucet for the kitchen
5 main rules for using an artificial stone sink
Such sinks are beautiful and hygienic, but you need to use them carefully, adhering to the following rules:
- Before you pour boiling water into the sink, ALWAYS put cold water in it first.
- At the bottom of the sink, it is advisable to lay a rubber / silicone mat or stand that will protect the bottom from scratches and contact with hot dishes.
- Try not to store the dishes in the bowl, but wash them immediately.
- Do not use acetone-containing detergents, as well as aggressive oven cleaners and hard abrasives to clean an artificial stone sink.
- Do not put red-hot utensils in the sink or on its wing.
How to wash the BRIED sink from an artificial stone?
Close the drain, fill the sink with water about ¼, add detergent and leave to soak for 15 minutes. At this time, wipe the rest of the bowl with the same liquid. Finally, open the drain, rinse and wipe the sink clean and dry.
And the last piece of advice: you need to start caring for a sink right from the moment of installation, then even the most whimsical sink will last you a long time.
Comparison of an artificial stone sink with stainless steel, ceramic and natural stone sinks
If you look at the table on your smartphone, turn it to the horizontal position - the whole table will go into the screen area.
|Acrylic stone||artificial granite / marble / quartz||Corrosion||Ceramic washing|
|cleaning ease||-||+ -||+||+ -|
|Attenuation||+||+||- * problem partially solves layer sound insulation, which is attached to the bottom of the backsides of the bowl. In addition, much depends on the thickness of the steel. If it is thick, then the sink will be almost silent. On the back of the ass on the back of the garden and the garden.+||-|
|Stealth droplets divorces and plaque from hard water||+||+||-||+|
|Ability local repair( polishing scratches, chipping)||+||+||-||-|
|resistance to contact with the hot utensils||-||+||+||+|
|resistance to sudden temperature changes||-||+||+||-|
|chemical inertness||-||+ -||+||+ -|
|Price||low medium and high||low- and middle||High|
- Choosing a sink for the kitchen 5 easy steps
- Full size kitchensinks
- Kitchen sink installation - instructions, tips, video
- Corner kitchen sink - choosing and installing
- 5 steps of mounting the mixer in the kitchen with your own hands