Content of the article:
At the end of summer - beginning of autumn such berries as watermelon appear on the market. Tasty, fragrant, juicy, sugar, which is eaten with a huge appetite. Well, what else can I add? Probably the fact that it is possible to make a delicious dessert from it - marmelade from watermelon peels, which we throw out as usual. Half of the readers probably reacted to this skeptically, and the second with indignation, they say what fruit jelly, because the crusts contain an incredible amount of nitrates.
We can assure you: nitrates are removed by preliminary preparation of crusts. Even watermelons can be grown on your site or buy a berry without nitrates. And at the expense of the taste quality of marmalade. .. many also belonged to zucchini jam. In a word, try, you will not regret.
There are several recipes for watermelon peel marmalade. But we consider the most popular and successful.
To prepare a decent portion of marmalade you will need:
- watermelon peels - 1 kg;
- granulated sugar - 1 kg( but be guided by your taste, 0.8-1.2 kg);
- peel, taken from one lemon;
- vanillin - ¼ tsp.(as an option: 1 piece of badian or ½ tsp. of cardamom powder).
For the preparation of the syrup, take citric acid - 1 tsp.
For sprinkling marmalade you need fine sugar or powdered sugar.
Preparation of crusts
Watermelon should be washed thoroughly. You can use a brush. The berry dried with a towel is cut into portioned slices 1.5–2 cm thick. The flesh is cut off( so that a small red strip of 0.5 cm is left on the peel) and eaten or set aside. Next, get rid of green peel. The remaining white-pink "flesh" is cut into strips 0.7-0.8 cm thick.
You can give the pieces for beauty a different shape, wavy edges. But remember, they must be the same.
The resulting pieces are thoroughly washed under running water, put in a saucepan, pour in water, put on the fire and bring to a boil. After pouring the water, close the pan with a lid and throw watermelon peels in a colander. When all the water is glass, shift the crusts to a clean towel and allow to dry.
Thanks to this preparation, nitrates, which are contained in watermelons, are removed from the crusts.
Some housewives cook soda at the rate of 1 tsp.soda in 1 liter of water. Watermelon slices are dipped into the resulting solution and allowed to stand for 6-8 hours. In this way, it is possible to mitigate crusts and eliminate nitrates and other harmful substances. So, how to make marmalade from watermelon peels?
Method of making marmalade
For making delicious homemade marmalade:
- 0.5 liters of water and the same amount of granulated sugar is poured into the pan and the syrup is boiled from this mixture. The number of ingredients is calculated for 1 kg of watermelon peels. When the syrup boils, add the dried pieces. Ensure that they are completely immersed in it. If there is little syrup, boiling water should be added. Boil the pieces for 20 minutes, setting the fire to the smallest.
- Leave the container with the future watermelon peeled marmelade aside for 6-8 hours so that the pieces are well absorbed in the sweet liquid.
- After they put the saucepan on the fire again, add the lemongrass and the remaining 0.5 kg of granulated sugar and cook for 20 minutes. Over time, leave the mass for 6-8 hours.
- Putting marmalade for the third time on the fire for 20-30 minutes, you should add the removed lemon zest and vanillin to the mass. You can also flavor the future marmalade with other spices, following your taste.
- Cooked crusts for the third time transparent. They are thrown into a colander and allowed to fully drain the syrup. It can be thrown away or collected and used at its discretion.
- But marmalade should not stick together. Therefore, watermelon peel need to roll in powdered sugar.
- All, watermelon marmalade is fully prepared. You can already have it with tea. But if desired, slices can be laid out in a single layer on a baking sheet and dried. It is advisable to carry out the drying procedure in the sun.
Consider, if the drying process is delayed, instead of marmalade, you get candied fruit - also a very tasty dish.
You can boil marmalade made from watermelon rinds on the basis of a syrup from various berries, for example, cherries, strawberries, raspberries. Crusts during cooking will absorb the flavor and eventually acquire the appropriate taste and shade. Or maybe you had a jar of jam in the bins? As they say, there is no desire, and it is a pity to throw it out. Then you can safely put it into action and cook a watermelon marmalade based on it. Just keep in mind, if the jam is not very sweet, you will need to add sugar.
Cooking watermelon rind in overcooked dark syrup is not recommended. Otherwise, the marmalade will be dark and get the taste of burnt sugar.
Cognac, mint, cinnamon can be added for flavoring, and coconut flakes can be used as sprinkles. Ready made jelly from watermelon peels can also be turned into fine candies. To do this, just dip it in the melted chocolate, let it frost and fold into small vases.
In a word, in cooking watermelon marmalade the flight of fancy is limitless.
One of the options for making crusted marmalade - video