The content of the article:
Astra perennial - a representative of the Compositae family, amazes with the beauty of the star-flowers with which the bush is strewn. It is not accidentally called the Octobrinki because the flowering time is at the end of summer. Aster garden culture aster known since the 16th century. She enjoys well-deserved popularity as an unpretentious autumn plant. Therefore, there are 600 species. Share information about which species are most popular, how to plant and care for the culture correctly.
This many-sided aster: varieties
The perennial aster plays with bright colors, which gives the autumn flower garden a special charm and appeal. It's like a farewell greeting from the summer before the long, cold winter. Cluster forms are diverse: there are undersized and tall varieties from 35 to 150 cm.
Regardless of the height, the bush is a powerful, spherical shape, able to grow rapidly. The plant with lanceolate leaves at the top is covered with flowers with a basket inflorescence of 2 to 8 cm in diameter. They form simple and terry forms. Colors differ in an enviable variety: from white to bright red and blue, and with different shades.
Garden varieties are divided according to a number of characteristics. Consider the popular with gardeners species with different flowering period:
- Alpine aster light-requiring and frost-resistant. Forms large single baskets 6-8 cm in diameter. Flowering begins in the second year. Early flowering time: the end of May - mid-June.
- Novobelgiyskaya Astra( virginskaya) is from North America. Interesting flowers of blue and burgundy shades. Large flowers remain open in the evening and in cloudy weather. If the place is sunny, then flowering continues until frost. Despite its large size, looks great in flowerbeds. It can be placed in the center, and on the edge as a frame to plant low-growing crops. Inflorescences-shields form beautiful bouquets that can be combined with dahlias, herbs and autumn leaves.
- Star aster refers to the plant to the summer period of flowering.
- A popular variety - Italian Astra is a medium-height shrub with an average size of flowers of the most diverse colors. Flowering begins in July and continues until the end of August.
- Shrub Astra is a creeping variety of different sizes, from dwarf to tall. He feels well in cool, sunny areas, but does not like drought and heat. Growing in one place up to 6 years.
- New England Astra is large in size( up to 150 cm).Flowers terry and numerous. The whole plant is covered with them and stands out against a green background as a bright sunspot. The color range is varied: red, pink, purple and dark blue. Because of this, it is easy to create a unique flower arrangement.
- Golden Astra in the last month of summer will delight you with its yellow flowers. Inflorescences have pineal shape and are located on strong shoots.
- Astra bokotsvetnaya differs form of shoots resembling a vine grape. Small inflorescences at first have a white or slightly pink color, and by the end of flowering become purple.
- Astra heath is a meter-long compact bushes. Small inflorescences open at the end of September.
Low-growing asters are used for rock arias or curbs.
If you plant them on the lawn, you get an interesting composition of "flower balls".Well combined with cereals or low coniferous.
Tall varieties are great for creating a background composition, forming a garden screen of bright "stars".
Low-growing perennials can serve as the lower tier: autumn gelenium, Korean chrysanthemum, thick-leaved bergenia or Siebold host.
Astra perennial, whose varieties are so diverse, provides an opportunity to dream and create a beautiful floral design that will decorate your site and delight the surrounding summer people.
How to plant a crop?
Begin with a choice of landing site. For the culture to feel good, grow and bloom profusely, the place must be warm and sunny, and the soil light, fertile and permeable.
Astra perennial propagated by seed, cuttings, dividing the bush. It is the latter method that is the most convenient and simple. The plant takes root well in the new place and the next year begins to bloom.
When dividing a bush, the rhizome is taken apart, each of which must contain a bud and several roots. Planting is carried out in the spring, when the soil and the air is warm enough, because the culture is thermophilic.
In low light, the stem is pulled out, you need to tie it up. The plant will be weakened, and flowering - not abundant. In addition, the asters do not fit acidic or alkaline soil and stagnant water. If the soil is waterproof, then drainage should be done or coarse sand added.
The soil is prepared in advance: digging and fertilizing. From organic fertilizers they make humus, compost and peat, and from mineral fertilizers - superphosphates and potash fertilizers. If the plot is well fertilized, then the asters will delight in lush flowering.
Phased planting process:
- The planting pattern depends on the size of the bush and its characteristics: low-growing varieties are planted according to the scheme 20 × 30 cm, medium growth - 30 × 50, tall - 50 × 80.Planting less often, dense planting will not allow the plant to grow well.
- Astra is planted in a permanent place and watered twice: in the hole and on top of the compacted earth.
- It is necessary to dip a plant in a hole accurately without damaging the root system.
Astra grows in one place for 4-6 years, after which the bush should be divided and planted in a new area. How to carry out the planting and care of the aster perennial, see the video:
Caring for flower culture
Astra perennial does not require special care. All activities to create favorable conditions for culture are simple and traditional. They include:
- watering as the soil dries up and more abundant when the bushes enter a period of active growth;
- soil mulching and loosening, as the root system can be touched;
- top dressing with reversed organic matter and phosphate fertilizers,
- soil liming, if it is acidic;
- as required treatment from gray mold and powdery mildew.
Thickened and growing in the shade tall varieties require garters. They need support - pegs or hedge, along which they are landed. In order for the bush to bloom for a long time and look decorative, you need to periodically remove the inflorescences that have already faded. And pinching the tops increases the number of colors.
Perennial asters complete the vegetative season with abundant flowering. They look bright spots with general decay and paint the autumn landscape with all the colors of the rainbow. This plant will decorate your flower garden, and will always look great.