- №1.Types of painting tools
- №2.Paint brushes: types and bases of choice
- №3.Paint rollers: types and sizes
- №4.Spray guns: types and advantages
- №5.What else can paint walls and ceilings?
Painting walls, ceilings, facades and fences is simple, and each of us, at least once in our life, but tried himself as a painter, so he understands how much the result depends on the brush or roller selected. The appearance of air bubbles on the painted surface, adhesion of dropped setae to it, drips, stains, undyed areas are all consequences of an incorrectly chosen paint tool, while the paint itself can be very high quality and expensive. Let's not waste money - it is better to spend a little time and figure out how to choose a painting tool for painting walls and ceilings, in which cases it is better to use the good old brush, and when to take a roller or spray gun.
For painting surfaces use a variety of tools, ranging from spatulas for leveling to stairs for better access to certain places. Buckets, drills, trays and paper tapes are also used, but these are all tools used in other jobs. We will focus on
, which are used exclusively by to paint the surfaces of the
- spray guns;
- other tools for hard-to-reach places or to create a relief surface( crumpled matter, sponges, etc.).
№2.Paint brushes: types and bases of choice
The most traditional, familiar and popular tool for painting is, without a doubt, a brush. For different cases and different paint and varnish compositions produce completely different brushes, which differ in the type of bristles, size and shape.
The brushes of the in brushes can be of different types:
- from natural fibers .Such brushes are rather rigid and rough, they hold the paint well, put it in a uniform layer. Natural brushes are suitable for oil and alkyd paints, enamels, they are better not to use with water-based paints;
- is made of artificial fiber , is commonly used nylon and polyester .Bristles can be given virtually any level of rigidity, and high-quality brushes with artificial bristles cost a lot of money and can last for a very long time. Such brushes as well as natural brushes are suitable for oil and alkyd paints, and will be indispensable when working with latex paints, as they retain their original appearance, regardless of the presence of water in the paint. Nylon brushes are recommended to use when painting a wooden bar;
- bristles of the mixed type allow you to retain the benefits of natural with a simultaneous increase in elasticity and wear resistance.
The following paint brushes are distinguished by their form and purpose:
- Flat or flautsevoy width from 25 to 100 mm - the most versatile tool. It is used for applying paint, enamel, varnish, drying oil on any surface, and sometimes for treating the painted surface in order to give it a glossy effect. For painting large surfaces, it is better to take brushes 75-100 mm wide, for finishing individual parts, painting baseboards and frames it is better to take brushes cut at the corners 30-60 mm wide, they are also suitable for painting corners;
- radiator brush differs from the flat small width and curved elongated handle, so that it is convenient to paint the most hard-to-reach spots, for example, radiators. That is why the brush has such a name. It can also handle remote corners and sectional structures;
- paint brushes are round in shape, made mainly from a mixture of natural and synthetic fibers. The length of the pile is 100-180 mm, the diameter of the product is 60-65 mm. These large fluffy brushes are well suited for painting fairly large surfaces, and sometimes they are used for whitewashing. When working, the bristles may be slightly bent, but then return to their original condition, and the masters recommend tying up the pile so that the short bristles do not deform and the quality of work does not fall over time. Fly brushes can be used with telescopic rods , thanks to which it is possible to paint over hard-to-reach places;
- the maklovitsa is used for applying paint on large surfaces, it allows you to perform painting work 2.5 times faster than the fly brush, the quality of the painted surface is high. The shape of such brushes are round, oval and rectangular, the length of the pile does not exceed 100 mm, and the diameter or width is 120-170 mm. As a rule, such brushes have a short handle and synthetic bristles, but there are also versions with a long handle and natural bristles. Groove can be used to apply all sorts of paints, as well as when priming, applying glue to the wallpaper. Best of all, it shows itself when working with viscous and thick formulations;
- handbrake brushes have a small size and a round shape, therefore, better known as round paint brushes. The diameter ranges from 26 to 54 mm, so it is convenient to use them for painting window frames, pipes, baseboards and other small parts;
- infill brushes are also round, but have an even smaller diameter( 6-18 mm) and resemble paint brushes. They are used mainly for decorative works, where high accuracy is important;
- butt-trimmer has very stiff bristles and is used to treat an already painted surface. With its help, you can get rid of any irregularities, if they remained after using another painting tool.
It is important for to choose an brush with elastic bristles that do not fall out if you pull it out. The handle should be comfortable in the hand. The brush can be used repeatedly if immediately after painting works to wash it with a solvent( white spirit is usually used).Brushes in which the bristle is erased by 60% are considered worn out - it is better to refuse them.
№3.Paint rollers: the types and dimensions of the
Paint roller can significantly reduce the time for painting, is easy to use and is indispensable for painting large surfaces. Today it is difficult to imagine how you can paint the walls or ceiling without using a roller. In hard-to-reach places and when painting small parts and surfaces it is better to use a brush.
The roller design of the is slightly more complex than that of the brush. It consists of a yoke( curved handle) and a tube, a rod to which the cylinder is fastened with a fixed fur coat. A fur coat can be glued to it, fixed with the help of plugs or fixed with the help of thermal synthesis, i.e.as if welded. The design is lightweight and as easy to use as possible.
stand-alone rollers , in which the coat is put on not on a plastic cylinder, but on a wire frame, due to which the roller perfectly paints uneven surfaces, is worth highlighting separately.
The fur coat determines for which surfaces and with which materials the roller can be used. The smoother the surface to be painted, the smaller the pile should be : for metal, plastic, wood, a roller with a pile up to 5 mm is suitable, for textured plaster - 15-20 mm or more.
According to the type of fur coats, rollers are :
- foam absorb paint well, resilient, quickly restored. Used to apply water based paints - solvents can corrode the material. The porous structure of foam rubber leads to the formation of bubbles on the surface, so now a short synthetic bristle is applied to the material;
- polyamide rollers can be used with all types of paint, they are resistant to aggressive media, they absorb paint well. The pile length is from 8 to 20 mm; therefore, it is possible to paint with such rollers both smooth and rough surfaces;
- polyacrylic rollers are very similar to polyamide, absorb and distribute paint well, have lint of different lengths;
- rollers made of polyester are cheap, they cope well with their main task, even if they are not very durable. Used for the application of acrylic and dispersion paints;
- velor rollers are suitable for all types of paints, have low absorbency, and therefore do not cause problems with splashing. Used to paint smooth surfaces;
- fur rollers are made of sheep wool, they can be applied any formulations, except for lime paints. They absorb and distribute the paint well, but can leave lint on the surface;
- rubber rollers are used to impart a certain relief surface. In this group include the pinch rollers for wallpaper.
Structural, textured, textured and embossed rollers are designed to decorate a painted or plastered surface.
We should also mention rollers for coloring corners and other hard-to-reach places. They somehow resemble knives for cutting pizza and are a wheel with a fur coat that rotates on a rod attached to the handle.
There are also scissors rollers, which are convenient to paint pipes and railings.
The use of the roller is determined by the cylinder dimensions:
- rollers up to 180 mm long are considered small and are used to paint hard to reach places;
- rollers up to 250 mm long - the most versatile and most commonly used;
- rollers longer than 250 mm are professional tools, they have a perfect bearing system, but due to the increased working surface they absorb a lot of paint and become heavy. To work with them you need skills.
The length of the handle can vary from 30 to 50 cm or more, in some cases it is appropriate to use the telescopic handle , which can be extended up to 4 meters.should prevent the cylinder from rotating and changing the fur coat, if such is provided for by the design;
preference is better to give the rollers in which the coat has no seams; if several colors are used for painting, then it will be most convenient to stock up with several rollers so as not to waste time on washing, drying and rolling out; if you hold the roller across the palm of your hand, it should not leave a lot of nap. Before applying the paint on the wall, it is better to hold a roller on the surface of the adhesive tape.
№4.Spray Guns: Views and Benefits of
Spray guns or spray guns are used when you need to paint a large area. They allow to save time for painting work significantly, create an smooth coating without bristles and residues. On the other hand, the accuracy when applying paint with such devices is lower than when using brushes and rollers, but there was a way out - painting tapes can be used. Another disadvantage - not very economical paint consumption.
The principle of operation for all spray guns is similar: a stream of air coming under high pressure picks up paint particles and distributes them evenly over the surface. According to the air supply principle, the spray guns are divided into the following types:
- manual .These are the most simple and affordable devices, they do not have high performance and are often used in private construction. The design consists of a pump, tank and spray gun. Drive manual or foot - no electrics. Productivity - up to 250 m2 per hour. The advantages of such structures include simplicity and reliability, low cost, no need for electricity, the presence of a long fishing rod, so you can paint the ceiling without a ladder. The disadvantages include low productivity, limitations in the types of coatings used( with a hand-made spray gun cannot cope with dense paints and enamels) and the need to constantly press the lever, therefore it is difficult to do without an assistant;
- Electrical .The simplest devices of this type spray paint not under the influence of the air flow, but due to the pressure created by the pump. In this case, the quality of the coating will not be the highest, but the performance of such devices is higher than that of the manual ones. Air electric spray guns are more expensive. The general advantages of this type of device include ease of operation, compactness, the ability to work with any compositions. Minus - the need for periodic maintenance. For domestic use, this is the best option;
- Pneumatic .These are units designed for professional use, they work together with a receiver and compressor. The choice of these devices is very large, includes models with different levels of pressure, lower and upper feed. Pneumatic sprayers - high-performance units that allow you to optimally adjust all the parameters of applying paint and get a high-quality coating.
№5.What else can paint walls and ceilings?
Painting tools are not limited to rollers, brushes and sprays. For painting work less often, but still used:
- special sponges, or tampons are used to paint hard-to-reach places( corners, radiators, window frames) or to decorate the surface. Conventional sponges are suitable for painting smooth surfaces, sponges with fiber are used to paint structural surfaces and to create an interesting relief on a freshly painted surface. Sponges are made of foamy polymer or mohair, they may differ in shape and size. Sponge apply latex, acrylic and oil paints;
- textiles .A piece of dense matter can also be used to apply paint, for this it will need to be twisted with a roller or crumpled. By swiping them across the surface of the wall, you can get interesting decorative effects and unusual patterns from the veins. For such purposes they use burlap, tulle, lace and gauze. Naturally, this method is not suitable for painting large areas.
When choosing a painting tool, remember that it depends on your decision what the ceiling / wall / fence will look like in the next few years.