Barberry Thunberg SpecialtyThe barberry is an evergreen shrub. Its height reaches 3 m. The main distinguishing feature is sharp spines. They are covered with a trunk and shoots. In the wild, barberry grows predominantly in the highlands of the Northern Hemisphere. To date, there are about 175 species of this shrub. Each of them differs from each other in its characteristics. In the gardens and gardens, several species of this plant can be found: common barberry, Amur, Ottawa, and others. In this article we will talk about the most popular varieties of barberry.
Common barberry: description, characterization of
This type of barberry grows mainly in Central and Southern Europe, these fluffy bushes can also be seen in the North Caucasus. The height of the plant, as a rule, does not exceed 1.5 m. The flowers are yellow and white in color; they begin to bloom in the last decade of May, in some areas in early June. Duration of flowering is average - 13-20 days. Ideal option for a personal plot or kitchen garden. Shrub tolerates a haircut. Not picky about the choice of place: can grow in partial shade and in the lighted areas. Among other things, the barberry can easily transfer even severe frosts. This type of barberry is suitable for food.
Barberry common has not many varieties. The most popular of them are as follows:
- Barberry "Juliana"( "Jilianae") - the bush grows up to 3 meters. The leaves by the fall become bright red;
- Barberry “Aureomarginata”( “Aureomarginata”) is a shrub up to 1.5 m high. The leaves are rich green in color with a golden border. It is desirable that this species grew in the lit area. Otherwise the decorative coloring disappears;
Read also: Medical use of barberry ordinary
Barberry Thunberg: photo, description, characteristic
No less decorative is the barberry Thunberg. In the wild, it grows on the slopes of China and Japan. The plant reaches a height of 1.5 m. In spring and summer, the leaves of the barberry have a yellowish or bright red tint, and with the approach of autumn - brown. The flowers of the barberry of Thunberg, as a rule, are yellow with a red border around the edges. If you compare with the barberry ordinary, then this variety does not bloom for long - only 8-12 days. The plant tolerates cold and drought well and is not demanding on the soil. The fruits have a bitter taste and therefore do not apply to food.
Barberry Thunberg has many varieties. Here are the main ones:
- Barberry "Atropurpurea"( "Atropurpurea") - this name was not accidentally obtained by the plant - the leaves are dark purple in color. The height of the shrub is about 1.5 m. Flowering occurs at the beginning or middle of June and is 12 days. The fruits ripen in October.
- Barberry "Aurea"( "Aurea") is a shrub, compared with the previous variety, not high - 0.8 m. The leaves are yellow-orange. Flowering begins in May and lasts about 14 days. The flowers are very beautiful - yellow in the middle and red at the edges. Fruits can be collected in September;
- Barberry "Golden Ring"( "Golden Ring") - quite tall bush - 3 m. The leaves have different shade: from light yellow to dark red. Flowering plant starts in May. The flowers are yellow, on the edges there is a red border. The fruits ripen in the first decade of October;
- Barberry “Bagatelle” is a very short shrub - its height is only 0.4 m. Creating curbs or hedges is the direct purpose of this variety. In summer, the leaves have a brown tint, and closer to autumn is red. The fruits ripen by the end of October;
- Barberry "Nana"( "Nana") - the height of the bush is 0.5 m. The leaves are red and the flowers are yellower. Flowering begins in early May. The fruits ripen around the second decade of October.
Read also: Choosing juniper scaly Blue Carpet
Barberry Ottawa: description, characteristic
Barberry Ottawa is very decorative - the leaves are purple, and the flowers are yellow-red. In the autumn season, the plant is especially attractive - the leaves become saturated purple in color. Flowering occurs in the first decade of May and lasts about 14 days.
Barberry Ottawa can boast only three varieties:
- Barberry “Superba” - the height of the shrub varies from 2.5 to 3 m.bright orange to deep red. Flowering begins in May, the flowers have a yellow-red tint. The fruits ripen in the second decade of October;
- Barberry "Aurikoma"( "Aurikoma") - the height of the bush is on average 2 m. The leaves and flowers mostly have a red tint.
- Barberry "Purpurea"( "Purpurea") - the plant reaches a height of 2 m. The flowers are yellow-red, the leaves have a dark purple shade.
Read also: Enjoying the sweet aroma in the shade of ornamental shrubs in the garden
Amur barberry: description, characteristic
This type of barberry is less popular. Perhaps this is due to the fact that some bushes can grow quite high - up to 3.5 m. It tolerates dry periods, but can freeze in severe frosts. In summer, the leaves have a rich green color, and in the autumn season golden-red. Flowering usually occurs at the end of May.
To date, only two varieties of this variety are known:
- Barberry “Japonica” - the plant reaches a height of 3.5 m. The flowers are yellow, the leaves have a golden color;
- Barberry "Orpheus" - bred by domestic breeders, the bush is quite compact - up to 1 m. The leaves are of a light green shade. The disadvantage of this variety is that it does not bloom.
This type of barberry does not end there. There is, for example, the Siberian barberry. Each species is unique in its own way. Each has its own characteristics and characteristics. The choice of species of barberry depends on the purpose of the gardener.
Add, barberry due to its simplicity and decorative at the same time, is very popular. It is planted in parks, gardens, cottages. The plant gives the territory a sophisticated and sophisticated look. In hot weather, such plantings exude a tart and at the same time sweetish aroma. By the way, note gardeners. Barberry is a wonderful honey plant. Therefore, along with buckwheat and lime, there is still not inferior - barberry honey.
Barberry for the Garden - Video