Mold in a washing machine - a phenomenon that the vast majority of users encounter. Mold fungus infects the rubber elements of the machine, develops on the pump and in the detergent container. If mold appears in the washing machine, every effort must be made to ensure that it disappears forever.
- What is mold dangerous?
- Causes of mold in the washing machine
- How to remove mold from a washing machine?
- How to remove the smell of mold?
- How to remove mold from the gum of a washing machine?
- Means for cleaning the washing machine from mold
- How to avoid mold?
What is mold dangerous?
Mold spores, which are not visible to the naked eye, penetrate everywhere, settle and, when favorable conditions arise, germinate and multiply.
When they enter the human body, they cause a lot of diseases, including chronic ones, from simple dizziness to allergic manifestations. Mold spores enter the body with each breath of a person who is nearby. Particularly affected are people with an unformed or weakened immune system.
Mold fungus also has a devastating effect on finishing building materials, furniture, and household appliances.
Causes of mold in the washing machine
Bad smell from the washing machine - The first sign of mold. It appears due to the multiplication of mold. Factors affecting its accelerated reproduction are:
- high humidity;
- frequent washing at low temperature;
- residual water in the tank after washing;
- powder and rinse aid residues in the container;
- storing dirty laundry in the drum of the washing machine;
- lack of ventilation, after washing the door closes tightly;
- no permanent washing machine care, after each wash, it does not dry and is not wiped.
How to remove mold from a washing machine?
First of all, it is necessary to rinse with soap and water manually the most popular places for mold development:
- container for powder and conditioner;
- a hose connecting the container to the main tank;
- drain hose and filter inside the hose;
- a rubber o-ring between the tank and the loading door;
- tank for washing;
- heating elements.
For a deeper withdrawal of mold from the washing machine, there are various washing methods:
- With a cleaning agent. The product is applied to the entire surface, a half-hour exposure is made and washed with a stiff brush. After rinsing, it is wiped dry and dried. The most popular products are Refine Powders, No Limescale, Dr. Ten, as well as Calgon and its low cost counterpart Tyrone.
- Using baking soda. From baking soda and pure water we prepare a paste until the consistency of thick sour cream. With this paste we lubricate all problem areas, leave for 30-40 minutes. We add another 400 g of soda to the powder compartment and turn it on at the highest possible temperature.
- Using vinegar and chlorine-based detergents (e.g. Javell tablets, Home biolongs and Concentrate). The washing solution is prepared in equal parts, poured into a powder container and turn on the washing machine at maximum temperature. After such procedures, rinse the washing machine.
- Using vinegar. It is used for washing the drum, sealing gum on the load loading hatch, powder container, drain and filling hose. 0.5 cups of vinegar is poured into a powder container and, when washing at maximum temperature, turn on the machine.
If after all the measures the result is not achieved, it is better to replace the affected parts.
How to remove the smell of mold?
Removing mold odor is a complex process. If the smell has appeared, it is necessary to perform several simple and accessible for everyone actions:
- inspect the drum of the washing machine for mold;
- Check the drain hoses and filter for clogging; if necessary, clean and eliminate leaks at the connections.
First of all, experts recommend manual cleaning of the fungus formation sites: in folds the sealing ring of the loading hatch, detergent container, rinse if necessary drum.
Work is carried out with a soapy solution with the addition of dishwashing detergent. Remove and rinse the drain hose with the same composition. In case of severe contamination, the hose should be pre-soaked in clean water.
After manual cleaning of all the mold from all elements is completed, the washing machine is “driven” without loading on the rinsing functions for washing.
For the final elimination of the smell of mold, it is necessary to load 2-3 tablespoons of washing powder into a container, add 100 ml of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup of citric acid. At maximum temperature without loading laundry, this procedure must be carried out 2-3 times. In the middle of the cycle, it is recommended to pause for 2 hours and then continue. The simultaneous use of citric acid and vinegar will also help descale the heating elements to reduce the smell of burned rubber.
How to remove mold from the gum of a washing machine?
It is necessary to remove the rubber and rinse with household detergents with the addition of chlorine, rinse, wipe and dry well. Rinse contact area with the same composition and dry.
High results are achieved by washing the sealing rubber with a 3% solution of copper sulfate (dilute 30 g of copper sulfate in 1 liter of water). With the prepared solution, you need to process the removed rubber, leave for 24 hours, rinse well, wipe and dry.
Means for cleaning the washing machine from mold
There are not so many tools to combat mold in washing machines. Factory-made products (e.g. Wpro tablets or Dr. Beckmann liquid) can be used.
Using a factory mold control product, carefully read the instructions. It should indicate that the product is recommended for use in washing machines.
Means containing chlorine
Any gel containing chlorine (for example, Sanfor, Glanz, Mitsuei) is used to treat the washing machine against the formation of mold. An agent containing sodium hypochlorite is also actively used. Sodium hypochlorite is highly soluble in water, and this aqueous solution actively destroys mold.
With a solution of oxygen bleach and water (1/1), problem areas are processed, after which the solution is washed off.
Dish gel, citric acid and water are used to prepare a pasty mixture. Cooked pasta at home is applied to the place of accumulation of mold. After 10-20 minutes, a hard brush is cleaned, followed by washing. If necessary, the cleaning procedure is repeated.
Detergent and citric acid
From a washing powder, water and citric acid, a mixture is prepared, which covers places affected by mold. In this condition, leave for a day. After a lapse of time, all places covered with such a mixture are thoroughly wiped with a brush, and a toothbrush is used in hard-to-reach places. After wiping, the washing machine is started at maximum temperature.
The submitted video shows the procedure cleaning the washing machine with citric acid when the first unpleasant odors and impurities appear on the sealing gum of the laundry and filter loading hatch.
How to avoid mold?
An indisputable fact is that any problem is easier to forestall than to eliminate. Therefore, you must adhere to simple rules when operating the washing machine:
- a container for supplying detergents and rinses, leave the door for loading laundry after each wash ajar to improve ventilation of the internal units of the machine;
- apply traditional types of powders, since helium products are not completely washed out of the container and contribute to the development of mold;
- install the washing machine in a room with good natural light;
- improve ventilation of the room in which the washing machine is installed;
- establish strict control over the complete discharge of water from the drum after each wash;
- at least once a week use the function of a washing machine with a high temperature for heating water (boiling);
- properly connect the hose to completely drain dirty water and prevent sewage from entering the washing machine.
Incorrect connection of the drain hose to the sewer system leads to unpleasant odors from the washing machine.
At least once every six months, it is necessary to start the washing machine at the maximum temperature without linen. To do this, use 1 liter of vinegar and 400 g of citric acid. This mixture eliminates the slightest signs of the emergence of a new mold, and the destruction of the old.
It is necessary to wash, wipe, dry the sealing rubber of the loading hatch of the washing machine after each wash. In this case, the appearance of the fungus is minimized.
What and how to do to prevent or defeat mold? The answer is simple! It is necessary to strictly adhere to the rules of operation of washing machines, timely preventive maintenance. Strict adherence to routine maintenance during operation prolongs the “life” of the washing machine and reduces risks to human health.
In contact with