- 1 Material Features
- 2 What materials to choose
- 3 Manufacturers
4 Foam facade plastering sequence
- 4.1 What tools will be needed
- 4.2 Mixture preparation
- 4.3 Foundation preparation
- 4.4 Mesh sticking
- 4.5 Mesh grout
- 4.6 Plaster surface leveling
- 4.7 Leveling grout
- 4.8 Priming
- 4.9 Application of decorative plaster
- 5 Video
Penoplex is an excellent material for warming facade walls of a house. It has high thermal insulation properties, so its application has recently gained more and more popularity. However, it has one significant drawback; it is susceptible to environmental influences. Strong winds, sunshine, rain and other weather adversities have a detrimental effect on the structure of this material. As a result of this, the entire base of the foam can be completely destroyed, including the loss of its thermal insulation. Therefore, it is important to protect it from the outside. Just for protection, applying a layer of plaster. It is stucco facade foam that will help protect the material and prolong its wear resistance for a long period. But what material to choose and how to apply it you will learn in more detail below.
Penoplex in appearance and structure is similar to polystyrene, but in contrast to it, it has high thermal insulation and is quite resistant to external influences. But still, so that it does not collapse, has served for a long time, it must be protected with finishing materials.
In addition, penoplex has a number of positive qualities:
- low vapor permeability - only materials based on foamed polyethylene - penofol, isolon can compare with this quality. Due to this quality, it is not necessary to install special vapor barrier films;
- the material has a homogeneous structure. Plates have evenly distributed pores, this property enhances the degree of strength of the base. But, despite this, it remains soft, so it can be easily cut with an ordinary clerical knife, which makes it easy to install a penoplex during home insulation with your own hands;
- has a high degree of density. For this reason, penoplex does not change its shape, so it can be used for base for plaster;
- has a high resistance to water, so the installation of plates can be done absolutely in any weather conditions;
- high wear - foam boards have a shelf life of more than 50 years.
Usually this material is made in the form of sheets with dimensions of 1200x600 mm. The dimensions of the thickness can be different, usually it is from 30 to 100 mm, it is from this indicator that the cost of the material depends. On sale, it is found in the form of packages in which the number of plates can be different, it all depends on the size of the thickness. The most popular are packages with 14 plates, the cost of which ranges from 4800 to 5000 rubles.
What materials to choose
In order to protect the foam from external influences and further destruction it must be processed from the outside. Typically, plaster is often used as protection. But before you start finishing, you need to find out which plaster for foam is the most suitable. It can be of several types:
- mineralplaster — she iscomposedofcementandpolymers. Possesseshighbiostability, lowlevelwater absorption. Is appliedforwarmingfrontthe wallsof buildings, of houses;
- acrylicof type — thismaterialIt haswater repellentproperties. Possesseselasticityandnotlends itselfimpactsraysultraviolet light. Materialof thisof typeis usedatincreasedhumidity. Alsohimcanuseforunevensurfaceswithstrongdeformations;
- a mixture of silicate base - this base is considered the most effective. Silicate plaster has a high vapor permeability, withstands various atmospheric precipitation, and also has antistatic and elasticity. This base can be applied externally and internally.
When buying plaster, first of all, you need to take into account its service life. This indicator depends on the type of surface. If it has a smooth structure, then the composition will not last too long. Many experts advise using a mixture of acrylic type for stucco foam, because it tolerates various mechanical influences.
In today's building materials market, a wide selection of mixes are available that are suitable for plaster foam. The most suitable materials are the following grades:
- Ceresit brand products - when buying material of this brand, you need to pay attention to its composition. The mineral mixture has an inelastic base, but it has a good level of vapor permeability. After applying this material, it is necessary to stain it. Acrylic type bases have good durability, but practically do not allow air to pass through. Silicate material has high light fastness and durability. All Ceresit products have worked well. It can be used for drawing on front walls of houses, buildings and other surfaces;
- Ecomix finishing materials - mixtures of this brand can be used for both external and internal works. Different types of plasters are suitable for different types of surfaces. They are environmentally friendly, because during operation they practically do not emit toxic substances into the air. In addition, they have high moisture resistance, they can only be operated at an air temperature of +5 degrees Celsius;
- mixes for Stolit plaster - these mixes are based on high-quality cement, stabilizing and modifying components. Thanks to these elements, the frost resistance of the material is increased. It can be used in any weather.
Foam facade plastering sequence
Before you start finishing the foam, it is worth preparing for this process. First you need to prepare the necessary tools, materials. After everything is in place, you can proceed to the plaster itself.
What tools will be needed
Plastering on the facade foam should be done using different tools, so be sure to collect all the inventory for the workflow:
- a bucket or other container for breeding a plaster base;
- the presence of a construction mixer will greatly facilitate the process of mixing the base;
- construction grid of a paint type;
- plaster mix with gypsum structure;
- primer mixture;
- putty knife;
- paint rollers.
Facade stucco for foam should begin with the preparation of the mixture. Since all mixtures are dry, they should be properly prepared. Preparation is preferably carried out strictly according to the instructions that should be attached to the plaster.
Important nuances of preparing the mixture:
- for plaster, mixtures of the Ceresit, Ecomix and Stolit brands are most suitable;
- only one mixture should be used during the surface treatment of the foam manufacturer, because differences in the constituent properties of mixtures will adversely affect the basis of all finishes;
- sometimes two types of mixes can go in a kit. In this case, one mixture is used to finish the protective layer on top of the foam, and the second for its attachment to the base. If the mixture is one, then it is universal and it can be used both for decorating the facade and for attaching expanded polystyrene;
- when calculating the required amount of finishing material, it is worth remembering that per 1 square meter of it it will take about 4 kilograms plus more for further leveling the surface of the walls you need 6 kilogram;
- the consistency of the mixture should not be very liquid, but not very thick. When applied to a wall, it should slowly drain to the floor.
Then the surface of the base is prepared. In order for the plaster base to hold out for a long time, it is necessary to clean the base from various mounds and deformations. If there are bumps on the surface, then they should be carefully removed using a clerical knife.
It is necessary to stick on the surface of the polystyrene foam a building or reinforcing grid of a painting type. Due to it, the degree of adhesion of the plaster to the surface of the walls increases, and the service life of the coating is also increased.
An alkaline base mesh should be used for the facade surface. The density of the mesh should be 160 g / sq m. The mesh of an alkaline base has a high cost, but despite this it increases the shelf life of the finish and the plaster applied to it will not crack for a long time and collapse.
The grid density can be selected differently, the optimal will be from 120 to 160 g / sq meter. The higher the density, the smoother the layer of plaster will be applied. But there are only one drawbacks - a mesh with a high density is inconvenient for attaching to corners.
Features of gluing the mesh to the wall:
- first you need to separate the strip with a length of 1 meter and a wide side of 0.3 meters;
- in the central part of the strip you need to bend, after bending on the surface of the strip there should be a ledge in the form of a rib;
- Further, using a special spatula, it is necessary to apply the stucco mixture to the corners of the building. The thickness of the coating layer should be 2-3 mm;
- a mesh is applied to the plaster layer, which is pressed and smoothed from all sides with a spatula;
- After gluing the corners, you need to stick the grid on the surface of the wall planes. The grid is cut into pieces with a size of 1 meter, a material of this size is much simpler, faster to stick;
- then on the wall surface you need to apply a mixture with a thickness of 3 mm;
- a mesh is applied to the mixture, pressed and smoothed with a spatula from all sides. Better to use a spatula with a width of 35 cm;
- the mesh must be smoothed from top to bottom, while it must be pressed into the mixture;
- after gluing one sheet, the next is glued. It must be glued with an overlap so that there are no gaps between them.
After the plaster dries, the mesh is overwritten. Grouting must be done with sandpaper. Grouting is carried out using circular motions with slight pressure on the surface. All movements should be counterclockwise. If raw plaster has got into the emery cloth, then it is not necessary to carry out further grouting. Grouting will help to remove bumps, deformations and various protrusions of the mixture on the surface.
Plaster surface leveling
After preparing the surface of the mesh, it is necessary to align the entire wall. For this process, the plaster mix that was used to install the mesh will be used. Stucco foam should be carried out strictly according to the instructions, so during leveling it is worth following important recommendations:
- a plaster base is applied to the spatula with a width of 35 cm. Spread it with an additional small spatula;
- then the base must be evenly distributed over all surfaces of the wall;
- the layer of plaster should be at least 3 mm;
- the joint areas of individual sections should not coincide with the joint areas of the grid sections. It is better to place them as far as possible.
Grouting should be carried out as follows:
- Grouting should begin no later than 24 hours after applying the last layer of plaster. The maximum period between drying and the beginning of the grout should be 4 days;
- all movements during grouting should be circular and counterclockwise;
- grouting should be carried out until the surface of the wall becomes perfectly smooth, without bumps and deformations;
- after the wall becomes smooth, grouting can be completed.
For some reason, many inexperienced or novice craftsmen do not make a primer on a plastered surface, but in vain. This process is financially low-cost, and also brings high benefits in the future.
The application of a primer will allow to absorb all residual materials after grouting, which as a result reduces the level of absorption of the surface of the applied materials.
Recommendations for applying a primer mixture:
- any composition can be used for processing. Antifungal primer will save you from the increased dampness of wall surfaces, the appearance of mold. In addition, in the future, this composition will provide high-quality application of the finishing decorative finish;
- the primer mixture should be applied using a short-haired roller; a tool with a foam base is allowed;
- the entire workflow must be performed with special care so that there are no drips left;
- then wait until the primer is completely absorbed. Then you can start applying decorative plaster.
Application of decorative plaster
Decorative plaster is very popular, because from the side it gives a beautiful look to the outer surface of the wall. It is applied to a well-primed wall surface, only after complete drying.
Rules for applying decorative plaster:
- for the worker you will need a spatula with a width of 35 cm;
- we apply a plaster mixture to a wide spatula, apply it with a uniform layer;
- it is important that the applied layer is uniform in all areas of the wall surface;
- then with the help of improvised building tools we form the texture of the plaster. To do this, you can use special rollers. You can make a texture in the form of a bark beetle, it looks beautiful, unusual, and it is done quickly;
- after giving the plaster a texture, it should be left to dry completely;
- at the end, the surface can be painted in any color.
Knowing the process of decorating penoplex will not only help to make the wall beautiful, but also extend its useful life for a long period. It is important to remember that this material is subject to various environmental influences, therefore it is important to protect it even at the first stage after installation on the wall. And so that the protection lasts a long time, the entire plastering process must be performed according to the rules.
We offer you to see the technology of applying plaster on foam.
- Do-it-yourself restoration of old chairs
- How to make facade plastering, technology
- Options for finishing facades of houses from aerated concrete blocks
- DIY puffs
- How to create a waterfall indoors?
- How to sew a beautiful decorative pillow?
- Parquet wax: types and rules of coating
- DIY TV installation on the wall
- Brick masonry technology, material selection
- Installation technology of ventilated facades
- Will pouches come in handy at a construction site?
- 4 ways to add comfort to the room
New publications are published daily on our channel in Yandex. ZenGo to Yandex. Zen