The content of the article:
Sliding gates are the best solution if there is not enough space for installing swing doors. But they are much more expensive and more difficult to install. To save money, many install sliding gates with their own hands. Their convenience will fully manifest itself in bad weather conditions - in the winter before them it is not necessary to clean snow, and in a strong wind to experience that the open flap will make trouble.The design of the sliding gates is simple and compact - when you open the sash it rolls to the side, hiding behind the fence.
Types of sliding gates
According to the principle of operation, the sliding gates are of three types:
- Rail. Along the gate in the ground or on a concrete base a rail is mounted, along which the wheel, welded to the lower part of the blade, moves. This design is simple and reliable, but has one significant drawback - the rail is made in the form of a groove and is often clogged with snow, dirt and leaves. Dirt also falls on the wheel, making it difficult to move freely. After installing the sliding gates of this type, you will have to regularly monitor the cleanliness of the pavement and their lower part.
- Suspended. This species is considered the most reliable. The wheel in them moves along the guide in the upper part of the cloth along the frame between the two posts. The only minus is that the height of the incoming transport is limited by the height of the upper beam. The problem is solved by the device of a removable upper beam.
- Console. To the frame of the gate one of the poles is welded with a triangular construction - a console. On the other end, the canvas hangs freely in the air. The console is mounted on the concrete foundation on the side of the entrance. Bearing beam in such gates can be in the upper, middle or lower part of the opening.
Console sliding gates are considered universal, despite the fact that they are more difficult to install. They lack the disadvantages of rail and suspension and with a competent installation serve for a long time.
Let's analyze their device in more detail.
Components and principle of operation of the console gate
Roll-out gates of the console type consist of several main nodes:
- Mortgaged - this is the lower side of the console "triangle it moves the door leaf. It is a welded structure of a strong channel in the form of a letter "P" on a concrete foundation. Vertical elements of the mortgage are built in concrete and buried.
- The cantilever beam is also made of a channel in the inside-out edges. The beam is welded to the canvas in the upper, middle or lower part of it.
- Roller carriage is a platform on which rollers are screwed. The leaf of the gate moves exactly over them.
- Supporting pairs of rollers for sliding gates are mounted at the top of the poles. Their task is to keep the canvas in an upright position.
- The catchers fix the leaf in the extreme positions.
- Roller rollers are connected to the bottom pair of catchers when the door is closed.
- The plugs cover the carrier beam from both ends, protecting against the ingress of debris.
For comfortable use, the gate is supplemented with an automatic drive, allowing you to control the mechanism without leaving the car.
Preparatory work before the installation of the gate
If you decide to make sliding gates with your own hands, you should keep in mind that for their functioning to the right or left of them you need an empty space about half as wide as the opening itself.
You need the following tools to work:
- welding machine;
- screwdriver or drill;
- wheelbarrow to transport soil, gravel and sand;
- a hammer.
All the listed tools, except for the welder, are present in any economy, and separately it will not be necessary to acquire anything.
Before starting the installation, it is necessary to fill in the foundation for the mortgage. To do this, to the right or left of the pole, dig a hole half aperture and a width of about 30 cm. The depth of the pit must be greater than the depth of freezing of the soil in a given area. The bottom of the pit is rammed, covered with a layer of sand, rubble, rammed once more and poured concrete, previously immersed in the pit vertical parts of the mortgage. For a concrete solution, take cement, fine fraction and sand in the proportion of 1x3x3. Concrete should dry for at least a week, during this time you should choose and prepare all the necessary fittings.
If the gate is planned to be equipped with a drive for automation of control, then the wires are laid at the stage of pouring the foundation. The bundles of wires are laid in corrugated tubes. The place of output of wires is calculated proceeding from the future position of the electric drive. Usually it is put in the middle part of the basement.
Manufacturing components for sliding gates with its own hands will take unnecessarily a lot of time and effort, it is much easier to buy a complete set. Before you buy, calculate the weight of the gate and its length. The fitting parameters must match them with a margin. If it is difficult to calculate, it is better to contact a specialized company. Specialists will be able to draw accurate drawings for sliding gates with their own hands and correctly calculate the power of the components.
Sequence of assembly of cantilever gates
On the channel in the mortgage welded studs, then bolted to them roller supports. Hairpins are needed in order not to alter the entire structure, if the concrete foundation will shrink. Rollers on the support are closed-type rolling bearings.
Pay attention to the lubrication of bearings - it must be frost-resistant with a lower limit of -60 ° C.
Proper installation of the rollers is of great importance, because it is on them moves the bearing beam.
Next, according to the drawing of the sliding gates, a frame from a pipe 20x20 cm is welded, a crate of a thinner profile is welded into it. To the lower part of the frame, also a welding profile is fixed using a welding machine. The frame is painted with alkyd enamel for external works. It is applied in 2-3 layers. On the crate self-tapping screw the lining material - corrugated board, wood, forged parts.
Then roll the frame onto the roller supports and check the course of the leaf and its vertical position with the help of the building level. If everything is done without deviations, the roller carriages are welded to the supporting beam.
In the next turn, on the poles mark the place where the catchers will be installed and fix them. On the edge of the guide rollers are installed, and the edges are closed with plugs. All welding seams are cleaned until the irregularities disappear and paint over.
In the process of work, after each step, the position of each part must be level-measured by the sliding gate scheme and its correct interaction with the rest of the fittings.
Installation of wickets, locks, handles and automatic drive
Installation of the mortise wicket is planned at the stage of drawing preparation. For her in the frame of the gate leave a place free from the crate. Separately weld the frame of the gate, weld the hinges, the frame is faced and hung on the gate. Installing the gate wicket saves space, but it is inconvenient to carry bicycles, various loads and the passage of the elderly because of the lower part of the frame that you have to step over. For such cases, a gate separate from the gate is provided. When designing, it is necessary to provide such a wicket position that the open gate leaf will not overlap.
Locks and handles will be needed in the event that the gate is not equipped with automation. They can be mechanical, code, electromechanical, cylinder, and also self-made bolts, welded in the frame of the gate from the inside. Handles for the gate are massive staples, mounted next to the locks. At the gate is usually put a lock, combined with a rotary handle.
Automation for sliding gates consists of the following set of nodes:
- electric motor, which is installed on the mortgage;
- Limit switches that shut off the engine when the gate reaches the end position;
- protection and control unit in the switchboard.
The installation of the automation is carried out according to the instructions attached to it.
Video mounting sliding gate
If you still have questions about installing the sliding gates with your own hands, they will disappear after watching the video, where the whole process is step by step drawn from the selection of materials to the final finishing.