The content of the article:
As green fertilizers, the siderates have long been used not only in large-scale agriculture, but also in household plots. They enrich the soil with organic, nitrogen, phosphorus and other microelements, increase moisture and air permeability. Important for gardeners is the property of siderates, like suppression of the growth of weeds, because this significantly reduces the amount of work in the beds. In addition, green plantations protect the soil from the rapid evaporation of moisture, which is important for the active growth of garden crops.
Siderata sowing time
The planting of green fertilizers can be carried out:
- in the spring before planting the main crops;
- in autumn after harvesting, during the preparation of the site for winter;
- during the summer, using the free space between plantings or in between rows among vegetables with a long maturation period.
In order to give the land an opportunity to relax, it is practiced to sow the area of the site with siderates, in which they are left for a year without being embedded in the soil, that is until the next season.
What crops should I use?
To fertilize the soil on the plot you can sow:
- Lupine. It enriches the soil with nitrogen, the best time for planting is early spring, and August sowing is allowed.
- Seradella. As an independent species you can sow in the spring or sow to winter crops.
- Mustard. Suitable for all types of soil, enriches them with phosphate, reduces the likelihood of diseases and the number of wireworms in the fall smell.
- Oilseed radish. Accumulates nitrogen in the upper layers of the earth, destroys weeds and pests. For the season you can sow several times, beginning in the spring and ending in late autumn.
- Buckwheat. It is recommended for use on poor and heavy soils, enriches them with potassium, phosphorus, organic. Long roots loosely soil.
- Cereals. Return all nutrients taken to the soil, supplementing it with potassium and improving the structure. Ideal for clayey soil and leaving the area under steam.
The most optimal way to seal the siderates
To date, experienced truck farmers instead of smuggling siderates into the soil use a more effective method, the essence which consists in the fact that the green mass should be cut off and left as mulch, and the site itself is sufficiently loosened flat-cutter. Mulch will protect the soil from external factors and create suitable conditions for the development of microorganisms. Under their influence, all plant remains (and tops, and roots) will quickly expand and turn into humus..
Cut ciderates should be before they begin to bloom and form seeds, preventing the outgrowth of the green mass.
It is good to use annuals such as mustards or radishes during autumn sowing. By spring, they almost completely rot themselves, and there is nothing left to clean. Perennial siderates must be closed 2-3 weeks before the planting of garden crops..