Broiler turkeys are a kind of poultry, its breeding is practiced by many farmers and agricultural enterprises. They are famous for their unpretentiousness, calm disposition, fertility and excellent taste of dietary meat.
In this article we will look at how to grow turkey broilers at home than feed broiler turkeys and how to avoid common diseases.
Table of contents
- general description
- Conditions for broiler turkeys
- External characteristics and distinctive qualities
- Species of rocks
- How to feed turkeys and turkeys at home
- Features of breeding and growing
- Prevention of diseases of turkeys
- Pros and cons of growing
- Reviews of farmers
The body of broilers is massive, muscular, an impressive strong beak with a red appendage.Birds run fast, developed wings allow you to fly through three-meter fences.Develop a speed of up to 50 km / h.
Farmers consider broiler breeds of turkeys to be selective eaters who require specific conditions of detention.
There are a number of nuances, recommendations that have a productive impact on the development of turkeys, maintaining the health of the whole brood. Spent forces pay off in a short time, due to the high growth rate of broilers..
Conditions for broiler turkeys
Small broiler turkeys should be kept in a specially equipped poultry house.
- comfortable temperature mode;
- dry cell;
- unlimited free water access;
- presence of vented air.
Warm season is an excellent period for the beginning of growing broiler turkeys at home, which provides an opportunity for the youngsters to walk at the farmstead. The cells are wide: turkeys require large spaces.
The grown up stronger individuals are allowed to eat kilograms on the bird's yard.Broiler turkeys are domesticated birds. Some breeds are actively grown by large agricultural enterprises..
External characteristics and distinctive qualities
Broiler turkeys are giant in size.The weight of adult males is 20-30 kg.Female grows much smaller dimensions: twice as easy as males.
The main goal of growing broiler turkeys is to obtain high-quality meat. Yaytsenoskost - an important indicator, however, not the main one. The beginning of laying, the mass, the number of eggs obtained depends solely on the breed of broiler turkeys.
Now let's talk about what to feed turkey broilers at home.Adult individuals are recommended to feed 4 times a day.Broilers always need open access to the trough, otherwise there will be a shortage of mass. Preferably compliance with diet. The uncoordinated choice of hours of feeding leads to malnutrition. Attacks of hunger are accompanied by irritability, aggressive behavior of birds..
Species of rocks
The key to successful breeding of healthy fattened turkeys is an individual approach to choosing the methods of keeping a particular breed. There are three main types of broiler turkeys.
- Light breeds.Do not exceed 15 kg. Males weigh less females - about 10 kg one carcass. Disease resistant strong individuals, females possess high rates of egg production. They include the Norfolian, Bestwill, white Dutch breed.
- Broilers are medium in size.Highly productive individuals weighing 16 kg. This includes the Moscow and North Caucasian turkeys.
- The largest breeds.The most popular type of broilers. The weight of adult males reaches 30 kg. Females grow up to half as much - 12 kg. The classification refers here to broad-chested Canadian white, Canadian bronze, Big 6.
Also you will be interested to know about:
- How to grow Big 6 turkeys at home
- How to grow turkeys at home
Many farmers are free to choose among crossed breeds of local turkeys. They are more enduring.Hybrid broilers rarely exceed the weight threshold of 10 kg.
The most highly productive and in demand among household plots are heavy breeds:
Canadian broiler broad-chested.The breed was bred by careful selection. In food, almost all types of feed are used. The diet should contain various baits, vitamin complexes. The set of weights is fast. One and a half months later the chicks reach 5 kg. After another one and a half - they are ready to slaughter meat. Oviposition of females begins at nine months, the number of eggs laid down per year reaches 200 pieces.Canadian broad-chested broiler turkeys are considered the largest among other representatives of early maturing breeds. The weight of an adult male can reach 30 kg in three months already.
- White broad-chested.Males reach 25 kg of weight, females - 11 kg. Have an average growth rate. At the age of five months the weight of the chick is 7 kg. Representatives of the breed are fastidious in eating. Females have a high degree of egg production - 100 eggs per year, 90% of them will produce new chicks.
- Big 6- a relatively young breed of domestic heavy crosses, was withdrawn in 2007 in the UK. It has impressive indicators of the ratio of total body weight to the amount of pure meat. External signs resemble white broad-chested, the level of productivity is similar to that of a Canadian. At 3 months of age reaches dead-age. Weight can reach 30 kg.
How to feed turkeys and turkeys at home
Feeding broiler turkeys at home must necessarily be a special food, for example, nulevka. It contains all the necessary useful substances. After 14 days, a smooth transition to mixtures for young chicks begins..
Two weeks later, crushed oats and wheat are gradually added to the usual food.Improve the work of the intestine will allow river sand, crushed shells, chalk.Sometimes it is possible to indulge the chicks with a mushroom of curdled milk, boiled potatoes and bran. It is necessary to thoroughly crush everything before serving the mixture of turkeys - large chunks of food can clog the airways, and the bird will die.
From the age of three months, the ration of broiler turkeys should consist of the following grains:
- wheat (50%);
- barley (20%);
- corn (10%);
- oats (10%);
- mixed fodder (10%).
Adults, along with small broilers, it is important to use a lot of different greens - onions, nettles, carrot leaves, beetroot, cabbage leaves. Suitable for any vegetable culture..
Features of breeding and growing
Recently hatched turkeys are kept in a pre-heated room. It is important to observe the first 2 weeks of the temperature regime (22-25 degrees Celsius).The health of the chicks depends on maintaining a comfortable environment.Feeders should be installed, eliminating the emergence of juvenility among the chicks, otherwise weak individuals will be undernourished or simply flooded.
Pure water is an important component of proper care for brood brood. Suitable vacuum and nipple drinkers.
The bird house should be ventilated. On street maintenance turkeys are transferred after 2 weeks. Now you know about the breeding and maintenance of broiler turkeys at home.
Prevention of diseases of turkeys
Broiler turkeys are birds prone to diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Preventive measures:
- mandatory vaccination;
Pros and cons of growing
Cultivation of turkeys has positive and negative sides. You should consider them in more detail.
- home turkey meat environmentally friendly, contains a huge amount of useful vitamins and trace elements, is famous for its low fat content, is dietary;
- eggs of broiler turkeys have high nutritional value and high taste indices;
- breeding for the purpose of selling quickly pays off. Meat is considered more rare, costs more;
- experienced breeders know:The breeding and further sale of turkey production is practically non-waste.You can sell feathers, down, eggs, meat, chicks of any age.
- special conditions for keeping young, high risk of death;
- young birds require keeping away from other poultry because of possible diseases, chicks are fearful;
- are prone to obesity, for prevention should be given more greens.
Reviews of farmers
The Internet is full of forums devoted to broilers turkey breeding. The statistics show: the business is very profitable, the cost of feed pays off by selling two turkeys out of a dozen..
Our family has been growing turkeys for more than two years. For the first time they took ten turkeys to try, whether it would work - none was sick. They fed for two months with a special turkey feed "Provimi later with a broiler feed PK-4. Deciding to start breeding, a number of doubts arose at once. But we managed, not how much regret! A year later, 35 chicks were taken at once, only one died a day later. Result: broilers have grown huge!
I'll have to work around, it's worth all the effort.The main advantage of broilers is a lot of meat!After the turkeys, the chickens seemed like pigeons. I really liked their breeding. One bird weighed 15-17 kg. Enough for the family to feed, and sells right away..
Some farmers experimented by alternating fodder intended for other poultry species, for example, chicken mixtures. Monthly broilers grew healthy, reaching 25 kg of weight.
Practitioners breeding broilers businesspeople are convinced: recommendatory methods of maintenance do not require strict adherence, the bird is hardy and unpretentious. The brood of large, healthy birds can actually be obtained by putting some effort. Years of experience acquaintance with the peculiarities, nuances of keeping broiler turkeys convinced the breeders - it's really worth the effort..