Teapot smells like plastic: causes and ways to eliminate odor
If in the store you felt a strong smell of plastic from the teapot, immediately place it on the shelf: it is unlikely that this dubious purchase will give you pleasure. But if you still got such a device in your kitchen, you'll have to figure out how to remove the smell from the kettle. Usually a course of soda, lemon or vinegar: a universal means, able to cope with many problems.
- 1Proven methods for guarding freshness
- 2Other means to combat the smell of plastic
- 3How to get rid of musty smell
- 4Why the electric stink smells
5When the electric kettle is returned to the store
- 5.1Video: which teapot is best to choose
Proven methods for guarding freshness
To remove the smell of plastic from the kettle, you can use one of the folk methods:
- Squeeze into the electric kettle juice from 3-4 lemons. Add water to the maximum mark, and then bring it to a boil. Leave the liquid inside the device for 12 hours, then again boil it. If necessary, you can do it all several times.
- Instead of juice often use peel from lemon. Only take it you need a lot: so that you fill the appliance to half. After this, it is necessary to pour clean water to the top and bring it to a boil. If inside still smells like plastic, repeat the procedure 2-3 more times.
- If you add 2 tablespoons of 9% acetic essence or half a cup of vinegar to the water, then boil it, then the smell of plastic should disappear. Do not forget to drain the water and rinse the appliance thoroughly so that one of the household members does not make yourself poisonous tea or coffee.
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda, poured into a full kettle, will help to completely remove the smell of plastic. To do this, you need to do the following: bring the liquid to a boil and cool it several times, then thoroughly wash its residues.
If you do everything right, the smell should disappear. But if the kettle stinks of plastic, even after repeated repetition of all procedures, you will have to return it to the store or even throw it away - health is more expensive.
Other means to combat the smell of plastic
Remove the smell of plastic in other ways:
- In a full electric kettle, pour 50 g of citric acid. After this, boil the water and leave it inside for the whole night. In the morning, drain the solution and rinse the kettle thoroughly with running water.
- The bay leaf will also help to get rid of the unpleasant aroma: in a full kettle add a few laurel leaves and bring the liquid to a boil. Drain and rinse the electric kettle.
- Try to boil the bottle of "Sprite" and leave it inside for 9-11 hours. Just be sure to warn your family, since this drink is not very useful in itself, but it becomes unpredictable when boiling.
- In especially severe cases (when there is nothing to lose already), you can use detergents with surfactants. Add one of these solutions to the kettle, dilute it with water and turn on the appliance. After the liquid boils, drain and rinse thoroughly with clean water all the internal parts. Then necessarily boil new water and merge it.
If you use harmful or aggressive detergent mixtures, be sure to wash the kettle with the utmost care. Remained on the walls, they can cause serious damage to health.
How to get rid of musty smell
Sometimes a stale, unpleasant smell appears in the kettle. Most often it smells so much because the water does not change for a long time (a new portion is simply added and boiled again). Alternatively, there are many different impurities in the water pipe, which leave a deposit on the walls and scale on the heating element.
Get rid of all this with citric acid, if you add 50 grams in a full electric kettle and boil water. Also, the usual sugar will help to cope with the problem:
- put 2 tablespoons of sugar on the bottom of an empty kettle;
- leave it overnight;
- In the morning, rinse the device with warm water and lemon juice.
Try to pour as much water as you need for tea or coffee. Remains ruthlessly pour into the sink, and the device, if possible, leave open - this is an excellent prophylaxis of mustiness.
Why the electric stink smells
Sources of an unpleasant smell in a new electric kettle can be:
- residual oil after production;
- plastic or chemistry left in a hermetically sealed bag;
- plasticizer, which manufacturers generously added to the body of plastic to extend its service life;
- substandard dye.
If the first two sources are quickly washed out and are practically safe, the last two are very harmful, since it is rarely possible to get rid completely of the plasticizer and dyes.
When the electric kettle is returned to the store
Do not use a new electric kettle if the smell of plastic in it is very strong and is not output by any of the above means. If the purchase was made recently, it is better to immediately contact the seller with a demand to return money for the goods or replace it with a better model. Do not be afraid to defend your rights, because you are not obliged to use harmful devices that can undermine your health.