Along with modern washing equipment-automatic, there are devices of activator type. These are compact, simple units without technological frills and devices. The most popular representatives are “baby” washing machines and their analogues.
Mini-washers in comparison with full-featured counterparts have both pros and cons. The expediency of using a portable unit depends on the conditions of its operation.
The content of the article:
- Device and principle of operation
The advantages and disadvantages of the unit
- The strengths of the compact assistant
- The disadvantages of a miniature model
The best compact washing machines
- Model # 1 - Baby Agat with Reverse
- Model # 2 - activator semiautomatic device Fairy SM-2
- Model # 3 - washer with heated Fairy-2P
- Model # 4 - budget machine Princess SM-1
- Model # 5 - Baby ST 22-30-03 with spin
Step-by-step instruction manual
- Selection and preparation of the site
- Sequence of actions when washing
- Safety Basics
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Device and principle of operation
“Baby” is a small-sized washing machine of an activator type. This is not only the name of a particular model, but also the designation of all devices of small size, endowed with a minimum set of options, regardless of the manufacturer and series of release.
The device of any "baby" is absolutely clear. The main structural units of technology:
- Plastic Tank. Most modifications are designed for a load of 1-4 kg, the maximum capacity of individual washers is 6 kg.
- Activator. Rotating disc with blades located on the bottom or side wall of the machine body. The element is responsible for mixing the linen, an additional purpose is to ensure the strength of the plastic tank.
- Electrical engine. Motor sets in motion the heart of the "baby" - the activator.
- Capacitor. The module smoothes mains voltage drops and prevents the motor from failing.
- Control module. Each compact washer has a built-in time relay and a control knob on the case. The mechanism allows you to set the washing time based on the contamination of things and the type of fabric.
The basic package includes: a removable cap, drain hose and stand.
The basis of the operability of the units is the principle of functioning of the air-bubble semi-automatic devices of the activator type. In essence, the machine solves a single task - the execution of the main wash cycle.
The principle of the "baby" is simple. Dirty laundry is placed in the tank, powder is poured and water is poured. After the unit is connected to the network, set the operation time.
The motor provokes the rotation of the blades of the activator, and the laundry begins to mix intensively.
The design does not provide a pump, electronic module and valves. The machine does not connect to the water supply - the tank is filled manually
At the end of the cycle, dirty water is drained through a hose. If desired, the machine can be used to rinse things. The cycle is repeated by analogy with the previous one, but this time a smaller interval is selected, no detergent is used.
Most models are able to work in reverse mode - changing the motion vector of the activator significantly improves the quality of washing. More advanced "babies" are equipped with the option of heating water and a centrifuge tank for spinning
The advantages and disadvantages of the unit
A simple constructive, minimal set of functions explains the low cost of portable equipment.
However, in addition to affordable prices, mini-machines have several advantages compared with more advanced units.
The strengths of the compact assistant
Arguments in favor of the "baby":
- Mobility. On average, the weight of the device is about 8-10 kg, and the dimensions allow you to carry a washer in the trunk of a car. Compactness is a definite plus in cramped conditions. Mini-machine can be stored in the pantry, under the sink or on the balcony.
- Efficiency. For the entire wash cycle consumes some electricity. Some models of the latest generation correspond to the most economical energy consumption classes A, A +, A ++.
- Quickness of washing. Unlike full-featured styralok, the “baby” can cope with the work in 10-15 minutes. On the rinse in the car is given another 5 minutes.
- Reliability. There are no complicated mechanisms in the design, therefore there is nothing special to break. Even in case of failure of a separate element, repair will cost much less than repairing a full cycle washing equipment.
- Versatility. The device is suitable for any type of fabric, designed for machine wash. The only remark: it is desirable to place especially delicate things in a special bag.
The mini-machine is autonomous - it does not depend on centralized water supply and sewage. This turns out to be a decisive factor when choosing a “baby” for the dacha.
This unit is the best option for seasonal use, as well as for students and people living in a rented room.
The disadvantages of a miniature model
Based on user reviews, there are several obvious drawbacks of mini-erasers:
- Low productivity. In one cycle, the machine can wash up to 2-3 kg of linen. With overall and heavy things, for example, a set of bed linen, curtains, rug or outerwear "baby" can not cope. They will have to be washed manually.
- Noisy work. Some refuse activator technology because of the high hum. Unlike a fully automated washing machine, the mini-unit will not be able to be operated in the evening or at night.
- Increased safety requirements. Water is an excellent conductor of current. Therefore, all manipulations with the laundry must be performed after disconnecting the appliance from the network.
In terms of comfort of use and practicality, the “babies” are significantly inferior to their followers - the drum-type machine. Mini-units are not able to adjust the washing mode under a certain type of clothing or type of pollution.
Even spin models require additional human involvement - water must first be drained and then put things in a centrifuge
The best compact washing machines
Most units for express laundry are produced by domestic manufacturers. The cars are located in approximately the same price segment, the main differences between the models: the maximum allowable load weight and the presence of secondary options.
Model # 1 - Baby Agat with Reverse
Portable semiautomatic machine with top loading and activator located on the bottom of the tank. The model is a prototype of the classic “Baby” washing machine, the main advantage is reverse rotation of the blade with blades.
Additional characteristics: unit weight - 7 kg, work timer - within 1-15 minutes, power - 370 W, body dimensions - 45x45x50 cm
Estimated cost - 50 at. e. Users note the high efficiency of the machine and the good quality of washing.
Model # 2 - activator semiautomatic device Fairy SM-2
The popular, time-tested model of the mini-unit Fairy SM-2 has a simple, intuitive control and reliable engine. Reviews of many users testify to the durable, uninterrupted work of the assistant.
According to European standards, the washing quality of activator modifications corresponds to class F. If we take the reference work for 100%, then Fairy SM-2 cleans about 85% of pollution
However, this belief is controversial. The tests have shown that the activator device provides a more accurate cleaning mode in comparison with the automatic machine.
To improve the quality of washing, some users practice pre-soaking clothes directly in the “baby” tank.
Among the drawbacks are the case vibration in the operating mode and the cracking of the drain hose over time. The average price for a model is 50-55 y. e.
Model # 3 - washer with heated Fairy-2P
Technically improved version of the previous model - Fairy-2P. A distinctive feature - the presence of heating elements for heating water. The heating element maintains an optimum temperature throughout the entire washing process.
Extended and secondary functionality:
- half load mode is provided;
- the possibility of setting the temperature;
- security complex: control of water and foam levels.
The manufacturer has strengthened the design itself. The body is made of ordinary plastic, and the tank is made of composite polymer.
The parameters of the washer: productivity - 2 kg of things per cycle, unit weight - 15 kg, size - 53x53x48 cm, electric power consumption - 0.3 kWh / kg, programmer - rotary-two-sided. Manufacturer's warranty - 2 years, the price - 70 USD
Model # 4 - budget machine Princess SM-1
The washing machine Princess SM-1 is interesting for its functionality along with miniature dimensions. The unit is capable of operating in four modes - the choice is made through a switch. A built-in activator of reversing type is built on board.
The body is made of composite plastic, the weight of a mini-washer is only 5 kg, and its carrying capacity is 1 kg. IPX4 waterproof index.
Users respond positively about the performance and quality of washing. Along with all the advantages Princess SM-1 has a competitive price - about 60 y. e.
The dimensions of the mini-washer are 34x44x36 cm, the cord length is 1.5 m, the warranty is 1 year. An additional compliment to the model - an attractive design, white and blue color
Take a closer look at the possibilities of the Princess will help the following video:
Model # 5 - Baby ST 22-30-03 with spin
Some models of semi-automatic styralok are equipped with a centrifuge. At the end of the wash, the laundry is removed from the tank, the water is drained and a special nozzle is installed inside the tank. Washed items are put back and spinning mode is set.
For convenience, manufacturers offer an alternative option - machines with two tanks. In the first wash, rinse, in the second - spin.
One of the representatives of this kind of compact washers with wringing is ST 22-30-03. The machine has a high power class.
Its capacity is up to 3 kg of linen per wash cycle. At the same time inside the tank there is a centrifuge that allows you to perform the spinning corresponding to the class E.
The table shows the characteristics of ST 22-30-03. Additional parameters of the unit: power - 170 W, the maximum period of one wash - 15 minutes, 1 spin speed, water temperature - up to 55 ° C, instrument weight - 6 kg
Other representatives of the "babies" with a centrifuge that have gained popularity among users:
- VilGrand V105 - 5 kg, spin - 300 rpm;
- Mir MWM 228 - 2.5 kg, nozzle rotation speed - up to 300 rpm;
- Vimar VWM 61 - 6 kg, centrifuge speed - 300 rpm
Almost all machines of the activator type provide low spin quality, corresponding to class E. That is, linen after processing in a centrifuge loses up to 10-30% of moisture.
Step-by-step instruction manual
The order of use of the “babies” of most modifications is identical. Washing will not cause any difficulties if you adhere to the basic rules for the placement and connection of the washer. The main thing - to comply with safety standards.
Selection and preparation of the site
First of all, you should decide on the optimal location of the machine. Manufacturers advise to consider a number of installation nuances:
- Washer should not be in a cold room. Temperature drops are extremely undesirable for the engine. If the unit is only brought from the street, then the connection should be done after 3-4 hours.
- It is necessary to ensure unhindered access to the water intake point and outlet. The minimum distance to the walls is 5 cm. This gap will help to avoid increased noise from vibration equipment.
- For ease of draining the machine can be put on a wooden lattice above the bath. It is advisable to put a rubber mat under the bottom.
- The base under the appliance must be flat. and durable - distortions are unacceptable.
The outlet for the washing machine must be grounded.
In order to avoid accidental water spray on the appliance, it is recommended to cover the casing with plastic wrap or a piece of cloth. The air vents must be open.
Sequence of actions when washing
Next, you need to sort clothes by type and color of matter. In order not to spoil light things, they should be washed separately from color ones.
Subsequent work order:
- Expand drain hose edge up and lock in that position.
- Put underwear in the tankwhile respecting the maximum load weight.
- Add detergent to container. It is better to give preference to preparations with a slight foam formation - this is to increase the washing efficiency.
- Fill the tank with water to the mark marked on the inside of the case.
- Connect the unit to the network, set the timer and run the "baby" in the work.
When the time expires, the machine will automatically shut down. If necessary - the cycle can be repeated.
Upon completion, the washer should be disconnected from the network, lower the hose and drain the dirty water. Remove residual fluid by tilting the tank toward the hole.
Before rinsing the container should be cleaned and filled with water - the liquid temperature is about 30-40 ° C. Underwear load, set the timer for 2-3 minutes and turn on the machine. At the end of washing and emptying the tank, the container and the lid must be wiped dry with a cloth.
Compliance with the rules of connection and operation will prevent emergencies, as well as extend the life of the machine.
Basic requirements for the maintenance and care of a mini-washer:
- Do not leave a working device without supervision.
- Touching the plug with wet hands is strictly prohibited.
- The taboo is set to heat the water in the tank with an electric boiler.
- The machine can not be installed on the ground, as well as perform washing, while on a metal floor.
- It is forbidden to carry the unit connected to the mains or filled with water, as well as operate the equipment with signs of electrical defects.
Install the machine away from flammable media. Do not use solvents for washing.
During operation, it is not possible to simultaneously touch the case of a running machine and grounded elements: a bathtub, radiators or piping
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Recommendations for choosing washing machines:
"Baby" - an indispensable tool in situations where there is no access to the water supply. A model with a reversible activator is washed more qualitatively, and the presence of a centrifuge somewhat simplifies and speeds up the process.. The choice of tank volume depends on the number of users - for a family of three people a 3–4 kg machine is suitable.