How to clean the steamer from scale
Did your steamer work worse? From the holes instead of steam, splashes of water fly and leave stains on clothes? Or the device generally refuses to work: water does not heat up, steam is not produced?
Perhaps the whole thing in the formed scum and steamer requires cleaning. But do not rush to get down to business - not everything is as simple as it might seem at first glance. The steamer is not an electric kettle, its device is more complicated.
- 1Which steamers can be cleaned and which are not
- 2Several ways to clean the steamer at home
- 3Prevention of scale formation
Which steamers can be cleaned and which are not
The most simple on the device steamers with electric kettles all the same are similar. In them, immediately the entire volume of water is heated, and the scum layer settles on all surfaces in contact with boiling water.
In more complex models, the device may be different. In some, water is heated until converted into steam in small portions. Portions of water come to the heaters either by gravity or are pumped by a small pump-pump. In the operating pump type device, the sound of the pump is necessarily heard, it is either constant, or distributed at a small interval.
The steamer with the pump can not be cleaned at home, unless you are an expert in the repair of this type of equipment..
Lime scale deposits not only on the TEN and the walls of the water tank, but also on the pump parts. Attempting to clean the unit of scale can damage the device. If your steamer is still under warranty - such a breakdown does not fall under the definition of warranty cases. You will have to pay for significant repairs, the cost of which can be comparable with the cost of the new device.
But cleaning more simple models at home is quite possible.
Several ways to clean the steamer at home
The methods for cleaning the steamer tank are no different from the analogous procedure for an electric kettle. Cleaning from scale is made by one of the methods well known to the owners.
- The precipitate can be removed by boiling water with the addition of citric acid or vinegar. Instead of the usual water, pour into the tank acid solution and turn on the device for the time that it can work without harm. After that, the remainder of the solution must be drained, and thoroughly rinse the container from the acid solution. You can apply a weak solution of soda to the final neutralization of vinegar or citric acid, followed by washing the tank with clean water.
- Very well cleans from the scum of Coca-Cola, Sprite or 7UP. It is better to use colorless carbonated drinks, and rinse the device thoroughly to remove residues.
- In the economic departments of supermarkets or specialized stores you can buy special solutions for cleaning steam generators and steamers. The effect will be the same as the above methods, but you will be calmer: everything is "according to the rules."
Prevention of scale formation
The instructions usually write what water can be poured into the tank of the steamer. For pump devices it is usually recommended to use only distilled water. Even qualitatively filtered water for these complex devices is not good. In fact, distilled water is best used in all types of steamers.
If some models and can be cleaned independently from scale with improvised means, this does not mean that such cleaning does not harm the device.
It is better to avoid the formation of scale, than to perform various manipulations with acids and household chemicals.
Take note: how to remove scale in the electric kettle.