To date, breeders have brought out many varieties of cherries, Bessey refers to the most unusual of them. This spreading shrub can become an ornament of any garden, besides, it brings tasty, unusual fruits.
Table of contents
- Description of the cherry blossom Bessey
- Characteristics of fruits
- Features of planting and care
- Growing conditions
- Harvesting and storage of crops
- Features of the variety
- Diseases and pests
- Reviews of gardeners
Description of the cherry blossom Bessey
Cherry Bessey is a subspecies of sand cherries, which grows on the territory of southern and northern America. Initially, only sand cherry was known to the world, which had a decorative appearance, but its fruits were small and not tasty. But thanks to the selection work carried out by Ch.E. Bessie, a sort of Bessey appeared, which retained the appearance of the sand cherry, but its fruits became much more pleasant.
This variety began to spread throughout Russia from the Far East.Now Bessia is grown in all regions of the country. Due to good resistance to drought and frost, and unpretentiousness to the climate, this cherry can grow in any territory.
Bessey is a short shrub that reaches a height of not more than, meters. Young branches are horizontal in relation to the ground, painted in a red-brown shade. After reaching the age of 7, their color begins to change to dark gray and they begin to spread along the ground.
Flowering of shrubs begins at the end of May and lasts for 3 weeks. During this period, the bush is completely covered with white or tender pink flowers. Cherry forms both male and female flowers.
The leaves of Bessey are more like a willow than a cherry.The form is elongated, oblong, color is silvery-green.In the middle of September, the leaves become crimson.
The fruit of the cherry tree begins early, and the first crop can be harvested the second year after planting. On average, from one shrub can be collected from 10 to 13 buckets of berries. The fruits reach full maturity in mid-August, and the cherry of this sort does not fall off the branches, but begins to fade directly into them. Fossils Bessey 13-15 years after planting.
Characteristics of fruits
The berries that are formed on the Bessie cherry are rounded, large, maroon. The flesh is greenish with dark red veins. In comparison with their wild relatives, such fruits are very juicy and sweet. To your liking they have a similarity with aronia, they differ in the presence of light astringency.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
- Cherry Bessey will be an ornament of any garden. In the spring, white or pink flowers appear on it, and in autumn the leaves acquire a bard shade.
- Good resistance to drought and frost makes it possible to grow this variety in all regions of Russia.
- Shrub has immunity to many diseases.
- Berries for a long time do not crumble from the branches, which allows you to delay harvesting time.
- The taste of the Bessey berries is quite specific, not everyone will like such fruits.
Features of planting and care
The cherry of the Bessian variety is best planted in the spring period, so that the young shrub could grow stronger before the onset of cold weather. Saplings with a closed root system are more resistant, so they can be moved to the open ground in early autumn.
You may also be interested in the following articles about cherry:
- Planting and caring for a felt cherry.
- Description of Cherry Vladimirovskaya.
- Harm and benefit of cherries for the body.
- 5 ways to remove bones from cherries.
When choosing a place for a cherry, you should follow the following rules:
- Whatever berries have time to mature well they need a large amount of sunlight.
- In order to avoid decay of the root system and death, experienced gardeners recommend avoiding lowlands and areas with a high level of groundwater.
- Cherries are planted at a distance of 2 meters from other plantations. Besse is very demanding on the composition of the soil, the best option is sandy, not acidic soil.
- For heavy soil it is necessary to make drainage from pebbles, crushed stone or expanded clay.
- Sand is added to the clay soil.
- Sour soil must first be lime with dolomite flour.
Planting pits are best prepared in advance, about 1-2 weeks before planting shrubs, so that the soil has time to settle. Immediately after digging into the pit, fertilizers are introduced:
- 2 buckets of humus;
- 800 grams of superphosphate;
- 200 grams of ash.
Then they are mixed with an upper, fertile soil layer.
After the bush is planted in the open ground, its cut is abundantly watered with warm water and mulched..
Grow even Bessie can beginner gardener, because it is not whimsical to care and does not require special attention. Shrub has good resistance to frost and drought, is not prone to the appearance of diseases.But there are several rules, compliance with which will ensure a regular and abundant harvest:.
- On average, the cherry is watered 3-5 times per season.
- Healthy shrubs are fertilized with potassium fertilizer.
- In the event that the cherry begins to slow down, then potash top dressings are replaced with nitrogen fertilizers. They are able to activate growth and increase the amount of greenery.
- Bessea also needs foliar top dressing. The bushes are sprayed with complex fertilizers 3 times per season.
- TSuch a cherry does not form a root shoot, so caring for it becomes much easier.
- The main procedure for this variety is pruning, the regular carrying out of which is capable of increasing the quantity of the crop and making it better.
- In the early spring, it is necessary to remove shoots that thicken the bush.
- Best shoots shoots are not older than 7 years, so the adult branches are pruned.
- It is also necessary to carry out sanitary pruning, removing diseased and withered branches.
- The dried cherry can easily be restored by cutting the whole bush to the hemp state. After some time in place of the old branches, young and healthy shoots will appear.
- Preparing for the winter, Bessey is bent to the ground and covered. If heavy precipitation falls, then the shrub can be slightly cleared, leaving a small layer of snow that will protect the cherry from frost.
Harvesting and storage of crops
The fruit of Bessei ripens in mid-August and does not crumble for a long time, which allows harvesting for several approaches. But it's better not to delay with the procedure, the birds can eat berries or they can spoil directly on the branches.
Only fresh and healthy cherries should be stored.Damaged or rotten fruits will quickly deteriorate, and lead to the inapplicability of all berries. There are several ways to store:
- Storage in a refrigerator or in another cool place. Fresh berries can lie up to 10-14 days, subject to the following conditions:
- Berries must necessarily be dry.
- The container in which the cherries are not to be closed should be provided with good air circulation.
- Humidity should not exceed 85%, and the temperature should be in the range of 0-10 degrees.
- Cherries can be frozen and stored in the freezer.
- The berries must be washed and thoroughly dried.
- Then they spread on a flat plate so that they do not touch each other. In this form, the cherry does not stick together, and each berry is frozen separately.
- After freezing, the cherry is placed in a container or bag and is placed in a freezer.
- Also cherries can be stored in dried form, for this:
- Berries are carefully sorted and washed, then they need to be dried.
- Prepared cherries are spread on a baking tray in one layer.
- The oven is set to a temperature of 40-50 degrees and a baking sheet is placed there, the door is not closed.
- After drying, the berries are placed in a glass jar, and gradually it is shaken to balance the dry and moist fruits.
- Then the finished product is removed into linen bags or tightly-closed glass jars, in this form the cherry can be stored for up to 2 years.
- Also cherries can be stored in the form of jam, compotes, jams, etc.
Features of the variety
- Bessey, unlike other varieties of cherries, is a spreading shrub, and not a tree.
- Alsocherry of this kind is significantly different in taste,more like an aronia tree.
- Another feature is the lack of rooting.
- Many gardeners use Bessey as a stock for the plum. As a result of crossing, a hybrid is obtained, the berries of which are similar in taste to the plum, but have a much smaller size. Such a tree grows up to 2 meters in height and begins to bear fruit from the second year of life, and the amount of harvest gradually increases.
Diseases and pests
Cherry Bessey is not inclined to the appearance of many diseases, but the probability of the appearance of the following ailments still remains:
- Cockcomicosis- is expressed in the appearance of brown spots on the leaves, on the lower side begins to appear white or pinkish coating. It is also possible to damage the fruit and stems. As a struggle against the disease, the bush is treated with Skorom, Delan or Topchin - M.
- The first spraying is carried out immediately after flowering, then the procedure is repeated every 14 days.
- In the case of a large amount of precipitation, it is necessary to process cherries 1-2 times after harvest.
- As a preventive measure, young (non-fruit-bearing) plants are sprayed every two weeks.
- Monilial burn- fungal disease that occurs during flowering. The wet weather is especially dangerous. The pathogen penetrates into the fruit shoots through the stamen of the flower, causing them to shrink. As a fight against the disease, the affected areas are cut and burned. Prevention can be the spraying of the tree with Horus, Azotene or Bayleton at the beginning of flowering.
- Anthracnose- the disease affects the fruit of the cherry, initially there are matte, dark spots, which subsequently form a slimy coating. As a preventive measure during bud blossoming, the shrub is sprayed with 1% Brod liquid. During the formation of buds, cherries are treated with fungicide. When such a disease occurs, you must immediately remove the diseased fruit and destroy it.
Reviews of gardeners
Although they say that Bessey is not whimsical to care, it should be carefully monitored, several times a season to introduce various fertilizers and treat them with preventive measures. But, with a successful scenario in the garden area there is an unusual shrub, looking at which all neighbors begin to envy. - Natalie
3 years ago decided to try to plant Bessey, bought 3 saplings, as a result, one died after winter, the second in summer, there was one bush. As a pollinator I use an ordinary plum. The growth of the cherry is now about 80 centimeters, has already given the first harvest, the taste is quite specific, but the jam is delicious. - Valoba
Friends said that the berries of Bessey are very tasty and sweet, decided to try to grow. The shrub itself is very strong, withstands almost all the attacks of our changeable climate. In the second year of life there were 10 tasteless berries, but for 3 years the whole bush was strewn with dark maroon cherries, it looks very nice, it tastes better than it was before, but still enough unusual. Let's see what happens next, but I plan to leave the plant not for harvesting, but for decorating the garden. - Heaven
Cherry of the Bessian variety is distinguished by its unusual appearance and taste. In addition, it perfectly tolerates even the harshest weather conditions and is resistant to many diseases. Such a shrub will be an ornament of any garden and will entice admiring glances..