It often happens that the plot is small, and the owners want an abundant harvest. Ortomatoes are grown for sale and you need the maximum return from each bush. What can I do to increase the yield? This review describes in detail the correct method of growing tomatoes by the Maslov method..
Table of contents
- The essence of cultivation of tomatoes by the method of Maslov
- The first way to increase the yield
- The second way how to properly plant
- The advantages and disadvantages of planting a tomato by this method
- The most suitable varieties of tomatoes
- Russian giant
- The Ukrainian giant
The essence of cultivation of tomatoes by the method of Maslov
In 1985, the magazine Farmland published an article Roots are looking for a primer. Her author, an amateur gardener from the Moscow region of Kaliningrad, I.M. Maslov described in detail his methodology for obtaining a large crop of tomatoes by stimulating root formation.
It was based on the fact thatin natural conditions a shrub of tomato spreads on the ground, so it is easier for him to develop roots and keep fruits ripening in large quantities. And breeders to save the landing area tend to produce tall varieties with large fruits. As a result, the plant lives at the expense of a poorly developed shallow root, and the harvest breaks its branches.
Maslov's rationalization proposal has found great response and is safely used so far as effective.
Seedlings were planted in deep holes and watered only once, when planting. After that, they only hiked and covered with mulch. The plant, under the influence of aggressive wind and sun, spread along the ground and well developed roots in search of moisture.The harvest was always abundant, the tomatoes were medium-sized, sweet and thick-skinned.
Maslov proposed two new ways of planting, in which the plant can grow the root system in proportion to the ripening of the fruit.
The first way to increase the yield
The horizontal planting will seem easy even to a person with minimal experience in plant growing:
- seedlings of tomato verticallyput in an unheated greenhouseto get an elongated strong trunk;
- then hertransfer to open ground, where they plant in the furrow lying so that the ground is covered not only the root, but also the first pair of stems (leaves from it must be removed);
- the location of the seedlings must bestrictly root to the south- this is done so that the plant can easily rise to meet the sunlight;
- the greater part of the seedling is covered with earth, the greater the area for root formation.
This technique at the same time solves the problem with thin, elongated seedlings, which is difficult to plant vertically. Put in this way, the weak bushes will quickly gain strength and rise. You can plant two seedlings together.
By the way, Maslov drew attention to the fact thattomatoes love transplant.He recommended at the stage of room cultivation to dive them twice, each time deepening and increasing the distance between the seedlings in order to strengthen the root.
The second way how to properly plant
Refusal from pasynkovaniya tomatoes in favor of the formation of roots:
- the lower pair of stems should not be removed,but let her grow up;
- when the main bush gives the first fruits,with stepsons remove leavesand, bending to the ground, fasten (you can simply pin with a crochet from the wire) and sprinkle it with earth;
- so as not to create strong shading in the center of the bush,shoots must be bentas far as possible from the trunk;
- stepchildren will very quickly go into growth, the first fruits on them will appear a couple of weeks later than on the main trunk.
In this case, they will not oppress each other - the tomato will remain a single plant with a common root system.The method is called - growing in three stems..
Please note that these two methods do not exclude each other. You can plant the bush horizontally, and later root the stepchildren..
The advantages and disadvantages of planting a tomato by this method
Maslova's method is suitable for cultivating both short (determinant) and tall varieties.After a horizontal landing tomatoes do not require a special approach,you can take care of them as usual.
The technology allows the use of less planting material. It is beneficial to grow in this way expensive varieties, which are sold for only a few seeds in a bag.
With the undoubted advantage of landing in three stems, we must pay attention to some points:
- fruits of dwarf tomatoes with this planting are close to the ground,they can rot;to avoid this, the easiest way is to lay a fresh grass, which at the same time will retain moisture in the soil;
- special attention should be paid to watering- Ensure that there is enough water, but the land does not remain damp all the time. It is best to establish a drip irrigation or watering arytichnym way.
- also short tomatoesa decrease in the sizefruits by increasing their number.
- some gardeners believe thatThis method does not solve the problem of space:with an increase in yield from one bush, the volume of tomatoes taken from the site as a whole does not change. But they have a lot of opponents, so it makes sense to get acquainted with the experience of other truck farmers.
Indeterminate - tall tomatoes that yield crops throughout the growing season - growing in three stems is particularly beneficial. Such varieties are usually grown in a greenhouse. They grow up to two meters, so they need additional support.After penetrating the first pair of stepsons, the others will also begin to form ovaries.From tiring pasynkovaniya can be abandoned completely, and harvest a phenomenal harvest.
Fruit growing in three stems, the bush will make the operation of the hothouse more effective, because the fruits are formed and ripen at the entire height of the plant.
The most suitable varieties of tomatoes
Tall tomatoes of hothouse cultivation, early and medium maturity - planted according to the described method, they will yield a high yield. If the greenhouse is heated, then in it with success for a long time you can get a crop from the late varieties of tomatoes.For cultivation according to the method of Maslov, such varieties are perfect:
A variety of medium late maturity. There are varieties of varieties with yellow and red fruits.Fruits are very large, suitable for long-term storage.The variety is resistant to diseases, it has a powerful trunk.
The Ukrainian giant
A variety of medium-term maturation.Fruits are pale red, fleshy, large,well undergo conservation.
A sort of medium ripening period with a strong stalk, very yielding.Tomatoes are fleshy flat-rounded, slightly ribbed, bright red in color.They are also good for preservation and for fresh consumption.
The fruits of all these varieties weigh 600-650 grams. To grow them large, in addition to the garter of the bush, you can still take care of the hammocks for fruits - mesh pouches that will keep the tomato on weight until it pours and ripens.
To judge the effectiveness of the technology of cultivation according to Maslova is best based on your experience with your favorite varieties. Becauseto achieve results it is not enough to get acquainted with the theory, we must still be able to observe the plants and draw conclusions..