Noticing that tomato sprouts have become purple, many inexperienced gardeners are worried and find it difficult to find the answer, what is the cause of this leaf phenomenon. Few people know how dangerous this is and whether there is a need to take appropriate action. But the color changes signal that there are some changes with the plant already at the initial phase of their growth. As it turns out later, it only gets worse. Seedlings of purple hue grows poorly, begins to wither. Why this occurs in tomatoes, what they lack and what to do, we will tell further.
Table of contents
- The causes of the appearance of purple on a tomato seedlings
- What to do if the leaves are purple
- Prevention of changes in color of foliage and stems in tomatoes
The causes of the appearance of purple on a tomato seedlings
The main ones are only two conditions:
- lowering of the temperature regime of air and soil composition;
- insufficient amount of phosphorus in the nutrition of the sprouts.
Any of the above causes can arise independently, but in most cases there is always a mutual connection between them.
A large number of heat-loving plants, related to Solanaceae, have a common feature- in a cool soil they poorly assimilate the necessary nutrient components, including phosphorus. This phenomenon may also be due to the fact that the soil is highly acidic.
It is very important not to miss the beginning of the color change, in order to take the necessary measures in time.
It happens that the seedlings are more colored in blue tones. There are not so many reasons for this. The first is associated with a lack of water in hot weather. If there is such a possibility, on especially warm days it is necessary to cover the beds with seedlings with polyethylene material, until the shoots actively gain strength and grow. After watering, it is necessary to clog the soil to keep moisture in it longer.
The second reason should be associated with the domestic cat, which moves in those places where she wants. There are times when cats simply "tag" the territory.If the urine penetrates into the soil with seedlings, the seedling will begin to turn blue and die.So it is necessary to isolate the landing boxes from the ubiquitous pets.
What to do if the leaves are purple
It is recommended to solve such problematic issues in a complex. First of all, the temperature regime in the room increases, which should be twenty-two degrees of heat. As a rule, a week later the seedlings regain their normal shade and continue to develop.
If this did not happen, then the reason is the lack of phosphorus. We will have to use phosphorus-containing fertilizers. Picking up the drug, try to stay on those compounds that contain the minimum amount of nitrogen, because its concentration in the ground because of the lack of phosphorus and so excessive. It will be better if the fertilizer does not contain nitrogen at all..
A large amount of phosphorus is contained in ammophos. It is made from the calculation of fifteen to twenty-five grams per square meter of the plot. In the case of seedlings, the drug is bred, like superphosphate.
But do not be too zealous - an overabundance of nutritional components for tomato seedlings is as harmful as their lack.
For those truck farmers who prefers feed compositions prepared by their own hands, experienced specialists recommend using the following recipe:
- one liter of boiling water pour a glass of superphosphate;
- The mixture must be infused for ten hours, then the spilled seedlings are shed by this liquid.
The volume of the portion depends on the plant itself. For an adult tomato bush it will take half a liter of the drug..
Prevention of changes in color of foliage and stems in tomatoes
Based on the reason for the appearance of a purple hue on the above-ground part of the seedling, in most cases it is necessary to carry out preventive measures.In addition to introducing the appropriate fertilizer compositions and controlling the temperature regime, it is recommended to:
- correct preparation of soil for planting seedlings.It should be thoroughly digged, add organic components and mineral compounds in quantities seven kilograms of manure, bird droppings or compost and forty grams of superphosphate per square meter beds;
- in the spring period, all soil is digested and processed in the greenhouse, twenty five grams of superphosphate and twenty grams of a fertilizer containing potassium are added per meter of area;
- transplant to a permanent place tomato seedlings need to be fed in two weeks,containing organic and mineral components. This role can be performed by manure and superphosphate diluted with warm water;
- two basic top dressing of tomato plants are mandatory, the interval between which is fifteen days. For this, solutions of twenty grams of superphosphate, fifteen potassium salts and ten ammonium nitrate are used. All preparations are bred in ten liters of warm water.
To ensure that your tomato plants are characterized by good productivity and healthy appearance, you should periodically inspect the seedlings, whether it has turned blue, or if the stains have not gone away. Keep the temperature in the room under control. Another mandatory condition - strict adherence to the rules of agricultural technology, which grows tomato culture..