Over time, various impurities are deposited on the drum of the washing machine, and scale accumulates on the heating elements. Such formations not only worsen the efficiency of the device, but can also lead to its early breakdown. From this article you will learn how to clean the washing machine from various types of dirt.
Why do you need to clean the washer
A household appliance should give out clean things, but the working surfaces of this appliance are not always sterile. As a result of prolonged use, dirt accumulates on the drum and side walls of the device, which is separated from the clothes during washing. If you look closely, then black spots can be seen at the joints of the drum, as well as on the sealing rubber. The dark spots are not dirt, but growing colonies of the fungus.
Attention! Earned on our website kitchen designer. You can familiarize yourself with it and design your dream kitchen for free! May also come in handy wardrobes designer.
In addition to the drum, deposits also appear on heating elements, which literally become overgrown with salt deposits. If you do not take any action, then soon an unpleasant smell will come from the washing machine, later it will penetrate into clean things left overnight in the machine. Failure to take the necessary preventive action can lead to damage to the device, therefore it is better to clean it in time washing machine with citric acid and soda than buying heating elements or calling a repairman to repair an expensive equipment.
Dirt, plaque and other accumulations appear on the surface of the washer for the following reasons:
- excessive saturation of tap water with minerals;
- the use of low-quality powders or other types of detergents;
- violation of the rules for the operation of the washing machine.
If an unpleasant odor develops or traces of fungus are found on the drum, take immediate action. A kitchen sponge and warm water with chemical detergents are used to clean the internal surfaces from dirt.
How to remove scale in a washing machine from heating elements and internal elements
With improper care of the washer and the absence of preventive actions, the heating element may break down. A broken heater is blocking the operation of the household appliance. It is not possible to restart the wash cycle. The heating element constantly comes into contact with water. When the liquid is heated, scale from metal salts forms on the surfaces of this element. The chemical agent "Kalgon" or a special filter installed in the water supply system will help to partially get rid of such accumulations.
With improvised means
To remove scale in the washing machine, you can use the tools at hand that can be found in the kitchen of any housewife. One of these substances is citric acid. The powder is poured into a special compartment, and the device is turned on in the water heating mode. On contact with surfaces, citric acid cleans the heating element and drum from scale and persistent limescale.
It is not recommended to combine the cleaning of the internal surfaces of the household appliance with the washing of linen. A solution of citric acid or other available means, such as vinegar and soda, can cause irreparable damage to tissues. The amount of powder is calculated according to the capacity of the drum, 25-30 grams of citric acid is used for each kilogram of clothing.
How to clean a washing machine with citric acid
If there is a need to descale the washing machine with citric acid, then it is necessary to carry out the following operations. One part of the powder is poured into a hopper, the second into a container with a drum. Next, the washing machine is started in the maximum water heating mode. The device is unplugged in the middle of the cycle overnight. The next morning, drain the water and check the rubber seal and drain hose for large particles.
How to descale a washing machine with vinegar
Above, you learned how to clean a washing machine with citric acid, but this is not the only one at hand. A good effect can be achieved with regular table vinegar. 1 or 2 cups of this product are poured into the detergent container. On a household appliance, a special mode is selected with a high temperature for heating water, pre-soaking and additional washing.
After rinsing the washing machine with vinegar, you must turn on the rinse. This additional procedure allows you to completely remove the unpleasant odor from the household appliance.
How to clean a washing machine with baking soda
Regular baking soda will remove any dirt on the inside of the washer. The work is carried out in the following sequence:
- The contents of the pack are divided into two equal parts, one of them is poured into the drum, and the second into the container for detergents. The machine is turned on for a fast wash cycle with the maximum allowable temperature for heating the water.
- The following solution is used for external cleaning of the instrument surfaces. In a liter of clean water, dissolve a little dishwashing gel and 100 grams of baking soda. The paste is applied to contaminated areas and rubbed with a toothbrush, after a while washed off with clean water.
A good effect can be achieved by cleaning the washing machine with vinegar and baking soda. To prepare a working solution, 100 grams of soda is mixed with 100 milliliters of water and placed in a powder container. 1 glass of vinegar is poured into the drum and the device is turned on in any available mode with the maximum water heating temperature.
Special descaling agents for washing machines
If, when washing the washing machine with citric acid, it was not possible to achieve the desired effect, you can use special chemicals to clean the surfaces. These drugs include:
- The products of the German manufacturer topperr 3004 are ideal for Bosh washing machines and dishwashers. This product removes scale and other dirt well.
- Schnell entkalker powder (200 grams per pack) copes well with stubborn lime deposits.
- Magic power of German production is made in the form of powder or gel. This agent helps to deal with stubborn deposits on the heating element or drum of the household appliance.
- Beckmann is a multipurpose chemical that helps break down limescale and limescale deposits and helps to eliminate unpleasant odors.
- Doctor TEN of domestic production is produced in the form of a powder. This inexpensive product can effectively remove scale and other deposits in a variety of household appliances.
Some chemicals, for example, the same "Calgon" does not protect the washer from scale formation. This agent reduces the concentration of metal salts in water.
By manual method
To carry out the preventive maintenance of the washing machine with your own hands, it is necessary to inspect the heating element. During long-term operation, a thick layer of plaque forms on the heating element of a household appliance, which will be difficult to remove with the help of chemicals or improvised means - it is better to chop off manually.
It is not recommended to use a knife to destroy the structure of the stone, this tool can damage the surface of the heating element. It is better to remove the heating element from the washer and soak it in a solution of a professional cleaning agent. In addition, you can descale the washing machine with vinegar or citric acid solution.
All operations are performed in the following sequence:
- we disconnect the wires from the terminals, remove the heating element;
- we wash the heating element under a strong pressure of water, which will remove fresh plaque;
- we make a concentrated solution of a cleaning agent;
- for convenience, we place the element in a cut plastic bottle filled with liquid.
- shake the solution of active substances and leave to settle overnight.
- in the morning we rinse the heating element with a stream of cold water and clean its surface with a soft cloth, during this time all deposits should completely collapse.
If there is a need to clean the heater, a visual inspection of the drum surface can be carried out. You may have to disassemble the washing machine and remove plaque and scale from this part of the household appliance.
Complex cleaning of the washing machine
Limescale is not the only problem that can occur if the washing machine is used improperly. Dirt often accumulates on the inner walls of a household appliance, mold and an unpleasant odor appear. To improve the quality of your wash, you should always keep the appliance clean and disinfect your washing machine at home.
How to clean a washing machine drum
After washing, dirt settles on the surface of the drum, which later turns into plaque. After a while, stains will begin to appear on the surface of the sealing gum, and then an unpleasant odor will develop. To solve this problem, you need to spin the machine in idle mode once. Citric acid is used as a disinfectant.
How to clean a rubber band in a washing machine
It is quite easy to clean the sealing cuff; for this, the folds are pushed apart and the part is washed out with a soapy solution with an ordinary foam sponge. After that, the gum is wiped dry with a soft cloth. If mold is found, a special cleaning composition is prepared from water and soda in the same proportions. The paste is used to remove dirt from the rubber band or the metal surface of the drum.
How to clean the drain hose in a washing machine
A specific odor may appear from a household appliance through the accumulation of dirt particles, hair, fluff and other foreign small objects on the inner surfaces that have fallen out of clothes. All these substances pass through the filter and settle on the walls of the drain pipe, which can lead to the formation of a blockage. To prevent this from happening, you must clean this part at least once every three months.
How to clean the drain in the washing machine? To do this, put a rag on the floor under the appliance, remove the decorative panel and substitute a small container for collecting water. Unscrew the filter counterclockwise and collect the accumulated debris. To flush the hose, bend the branch pipe and drain the accumulated liquid into a previously prepared tank. After that, you need to completely remove the part from the sewer hole and the bottom of the washer, then rinse it under the pressure of water. Before carrying out such work, disconnect the household appliance from the power source.
If there is stubborn deposits and dirt on the surface of the corrugated tube, arm yourself with a soft brush with a non-metallic brush. We run this cable inside the pipe and carefully scroll it to destroy the accumulation of debris. It may take several passes of rope to completely clean the hose.
How to clean the washing machine powder tray
When using hard water, a rough coating settles on the surface of the tray. To solve this problem, you need to take the following steps:
- we remove the container from the household appliance;
- we wash the stains with soda and wash off the substance with a stream of cold water;
- pour water into a small container, fill in a pack of citric acid;
- we put the tray in the solution and let it stand for several hours;
- we clean the plaque with a hard kitchen sponge or a toothbrush;
- we wipe and dry the part, set it in place.
You can get rid of plaque without removing the tray. In this case, a special cleaning agent is applied to the contaminated surface, which is supplied from a spray bottle or a soda solution is used for this. The last substance is rubbed with a toothbrush, left for a while, then washed off with water.
How to clean the washing machine from the smell
A specific smell appears in the washer if a deposit from cleaning agents has formed on its inner surfaces. As time passes, mold appears in the places of deposits, which depletes the unwanted aroma. It is quite simple to get rid of the smell, you need to fill in the powder and turn on the device to the maximum temperature without laundry. When the wash cycle is over, the inner surfaces and the sealing gum must be thoroughly wiped with a dry cloth.
Washing machine care rules
Proper care of the washer helps prevent unwanted deposits and unpleasant odors. There are several preventative measures that can be taken to solve these problems:
- after each working cycle, wipe the glass of the door and the surface of the drum with a soft dry cloth;
- rinse the reservoir for the powder under running hot water, then wipe it dry;
- install a water filter on the supply hose (this will partially get rid of scale);
- do not leave the washed laundry in the machine;
- constantly remove stains on the outer surface of the household appliance.
To remove a newly formed stain, it is enough to wipe the coating with a soft cloth previously dampened with dishwashing solution. A soda solution works great with old stains and yellow areas.