1 General cleaning recommendations
- 1.1 Dry wash
- 1.2 Traditional wet cleansing
2 Folk remedies and affordable methods to remove any stains
- 2.1 General cleaning with vinegar
3 Universal professional tools
- 3.1 Cleansing foam
- 3.2 Powders and cleaners
4 Cleaning depending on the type of upholstery
- 4.1 Laundered greasy surface
- 4.2 Fighting odor
- 5 Conclusion
In good owners, upholstered furniture is always clean and loose, and ideally it looks like new, even after years of use. How to clean upholstered furniture in the home with the most affordable, effective, and also non-aggressive methods, I will discuss in this article.
General cleaning recommendations
Home cleaning of chairs and sofas can be done in two ways: with or without special household chemicals.. We can easily eliminate many of the pollution by ourselves. And only in desperate cases will help dry cleaning.
Consider what to consider when working:
- Choose a tool for cleaning upholstered furniture according to the type of its upholstery, the type of pollution and its prescription. Specifically about each, I will tell further.
- Some upholstery materials apply only delicate care. This will inform the instructions to the purchased furniture.
- Removable covers washable with powder and some even in a washing machine. But we will also clarify what temperatures the fabric can withstand, and what mode of washing it does not damage and does not deform the shape of the covers of sofas and chairs. Of course, safer hand washing sparing powders.
- Before using any means (even specially developed by manufacturers), it is necessary to check it in an inconspicuous place on the upholstery fabric. For example, on the bottom of the furniture. Moisten a cotton napkin with the solution and rub the fabric, and after drying, decide whether to remove contaminants or experiment with other compounds.
- There will be no divorces on the casing, if you do not combine industrial tools with home ones.
- After drying of the coating, we will collect the remains of the preparation with a vacuum cleaner. However, a universal steam cleaner can help clean quickly.
When home cleaning with a vacuum cleaner, we follow important rules that will keep the upholstery fabric.
- The vacuum cleaner at the beginning or at the end of the process should work only at minimum power.
- If he pulls the upholstery upholstered in the nozzle, it will quickly ruffle. A velvet, velor from a vacuum cleaner can ruffle.
- Separate elements (backs, armrests) are removed, vacuumed and wiped separately.
- Dry cleaning will be of high quality if at the end apply a steam cleaner for disinfection.
Traditional wet cleansing
The washing vacuum cleaner will quickly cope with this work. But without it, you can clean the pollution and dust.
- If there is no special solution or powder at hand, we make a cleaning soap solution from a liquid or household soap.
- The upholstery itself is cleaned with a cotton cloth moistened with this composition. After all, then the dirt from the skin will remain on a napkin, and it will not leak with this soapy solution deep into the sofa.
- Wash the cloth under running water several times - it depends on the degree of contamination.
By the way, just such a traditional method with dissolved soap will remove many stains, and even divorces from the baby’s urine on a tissue that allows for moisture. Also this always available composition instantly eliminates a fresh spot.
Folk remedies and affordable methods to remove any stains
If there are children or allergies in the house, then we replace household chemicals with homemade folk remedies.
- Stains from wax candles. Gently scrape the hardened wax without damaging the upholstery. Then we will cover with a paper towel or napkin and iron a warm iron.
- Wine stains. Fresh divorces from red wine remove salt. It absorbs the liquid, and not in the upholstery of a chair or sofa. Then wipe the cloth several times with alcohol or vodka solution, changing napkins.
- Sticky chewing gum. We will peel it off the skin by cooling it with ice from the freezer. We wrap the ice cubes in a plastic bag so as not to wet the canvas. And the remnants of gum, fragile from cold, are carefully scraped off.
- Sweet products, tea, coffee Simply remove with warm water with any non-corrosive (without chlorine) detergent. However, do not soak the fabric. Only repeatedly blot it with a damp cloth and immediately remove the dry moisture.
Any blemishes are always treated from the edges and towards the center. Then the area of pollution will not increase!
- Traces of beer on the upholstered furniture with their own hands, it is also possible to eliminate with ordinary soapy water. And then rub them with diluted vinegar (1: 5) to eliminate odor.
After the wet treatment of the stain, the upholstery is dried with a hairdryer - this is faster, and the hot air will remove moisture from the furniture filler.
- From fruit juice stains will help mixture of ammonia, vinegar and water (1: 1: 2). We put it on the pollution itself and let it dry. Then wash the dirt with a wet cloth.
- Traces of blood We quickly wash with cool water with aspirin (1 tablet in a glass) or with salt (30 g per liter).
- Urine we collect napkin. A moist trace process gel composition for carpets or liquid soap.
- Dried cream, fat, plasticine First, brush off the cloth with a brush and soda. And then we should moisten the trace and sprinkle it with salt - it absorbs fat without special means.
Salt, chalk and soda act only on fresh wet spots. And dried up stains before such treatment should be wetted.
General cleaning with vinegar
Acetic-saline solution is an effective but safe way to clean the entire contaminated product. Although of the same components we can prepare a more aggressive drug. It will not only remove local stains, but will return freshness to the sofa, and will eliminate dust no worse than a vacuum cleaner.
- In a liter of water is soluble in 50 g of vinegar and salt.
- In this solution, soak and squeeze the sheet.
- Then we cover it with a sofa and beat it out with our hands.
- All dirt will be moistened on the sheet, which is easy to wash in a typewriter. And yet, we will also free it from dust without a vacuum cleaner.
Universal professional tools
The versatility of special detergents - in the purification of all dirt on any upholstery fabric. They will save us time, money and the product itself.
Popular washing foam perfectly restores the freshness of naughty tissues without moisturizing them:
- We apply it only by shaking the balloon.
- Rubbed place wipe.
- If the stain is still noticeable - leave the foam for 15 minutes, and again we rub (you can brush).
- Then remove with a vacuum cleaner or dry wipes.
We can make a similar tool from bath foam plus shampoo (1: 1). But only without the oils in the composition and the instructions "moisturizing" - they form a film. Beat the mixture with a mixer. When the mass becomes dense, its minimum of water will not penetrate into the sofa.
Powders and cleaners
Professional dry cleaning at home will provide powder cleaning products for upholstered furniture. So use the powder:
- pre-clean the furniture with a vacuum cleaner;
- evenly scatter, rub in powdered agent;
- go relax for 20 minutes;
- vacuum the powder.
Even easier with a cleaning agent: spray, wipe with a brush. Everything!
Cleaning depending on the type of upholstery
We will reread the instructions for the care of furniture products that we are going to process. Then cleaning upholstered furniture at home will be safe and efficient.
The steam cleaner will restore the purity of the product, disinfects the fabric and even the filler.
He cleans suede well, velor. And when processing viscose and especially silk, one must first locally test it.
Scrub natural and artificial skin with a dry cloth. And the remaining divorce wipe with very dilute vodka.
Velor, flock, chenille often used for plating. After all, they are more practical, easier to maintain. And to clean upholstered furniture with such upholstery easier.
Fat with them clean soaped microfiber cloth. And cosmetics, ink will eliminate the alcohol solution. Coffee and wine stains wet and rub powder.
Silk is capricious, therefore we will set aside both chemistry and steam cleaner. It is better to take a soft clothes brush, wrap it in a white cotton cloth and clean the stain, slightly moistening it with a weak solution of alcohol or peroxide.
Suede dry cleaning is sufficient. And the foam will get rid of persistent marks on it. But then restore the volume of dry lint with a rubber brush.
Laundered greasy surface
Shiny dark spots on the skin appear from the constant touch of hands, head, legs. They are formed by dust and sebum.
- On substitutes and natural leather upholstery, we will eliminate them with a sponge wet from diluted dishwashing liquid or from home-made soap-soda composition.
- On the tapestry coatings for 5 minutes, hold the foam, and then remove it with a brush. Blot first with a wet, then dry cloth. After that, we clear the entire product in order to blur the boundaries of the treated area.
- The dirty fleecy products are cleaned with a foam sponge and a means for upholstered furniture.
Any furniture at home is impregnated with odors. For their removal special shampoos are produced.
I offer a homemade remedy for amber:
- The smell of beer, juice, urine is removed with diluted vinegar (50g per liter of water). But we moisten only a napkin with which we cover the soiled area.
- We press it down to moisten the mortar even with the flooring material.
- After 2-5 repetitions let the sofa dry.
- The smell of vinegar disappears a maximum of 3 days. Although you can add and fragrant diluted fabric softener.
After reading the article and getting acquainted with effective ways to clean upholstered furniture and the most effective means, you can safely proceed to the cleansing procedures. I assure you, any upholstery will look updated if you follow these recommendations.
It is also useful to watch the video in this article with a specific and illustrative example. And if you have questions or new practical ideas for cleaning - write in the comments!
Do not miss the most important:
Once a week we send the most interesting material that you have not yet seen
We already read 32 500 people. Join us!