The content of the article:
On the shelves you can find jars with grains in the sauce. This is French mustard. It's strange, because we are used to a homogeneous paste of mustard color. Here all attention is focused on grains. It is this variety that is most popular in cooking.
Black mustard, otherwise called Brassica Nigra, is known to many under the same name as real French. The plant is an annual and belongs to the Cabbage family. The main distribution area is Asia and Africa in tropical zones. Some varieties of plants are found in Europe. Nevertheless, it is cultivated in Turkey, India, Italy, Romania, France, China, England. In Russia, also grows one of the varieties of mustard. It is also called weed or wild. Typically, the plant can be seen in landfills, on the banks of rivers, lakes.
Despite belonging to the Cabbage, in appearance the plant is very similar to the other mustard. The length of the stem of the plant reaches a meter. There are spreading branched leaves. It blossoms with the dissolution of bright yellow flowers collected in the inflorescence. After flowering pods are formed, filled with shiny black oval seeds.
Seeds of French mustard (photos attached) have found wide application. So, from it are made allyl-mustard and essential oil. The latter is an important ingredient for the mustard dining room. The French cook from her dijon mustard, used to prepare many dishes.
By the way, oddly enough, the mustard is a honey plant. A rather large volume of honey is obtained from it, which is not only delicious, but also useful.
Mustard grains include many useful ingredients. So, the composition of French mustard includes vitamins D, A, E. amino acids, ash, essential oils, cellulose, fatty acids, mineral components such as iron, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, sodium.
It should be noted that the caloric content of the product is quite high, so it is not recommended to use it uncontrolled. Otherwise, this will negatively affect your health.
Black mustard is otherwise called real, French, sometimes Indian. Grains have a moderate degree of bitterness, strong burning and a bright, but slightly pungent flavor.
The use of French mustard in grains is great. Most often French mustard is used in the preparation of vegetable and meat dishes. It harvests any meat, because mustard has the property of "blocking" moisture. As a result, the meat is very juicy.
Pure grains of French mustard, both in the hammer and the whole form used for meat, mushrooms, fish, in sausages, add to the marinades necessary for canning or pickling mushrooms, vegetables, various refueling.
French mustard home-like
French mustard is the most popular in cooking compared to other varieties. It's no wonder that many are eager to learn how to make French mustard at home.
Do you think it is difficult to prepare French mustard? By no means. Prepared sauce can be used in many dishes due to versatility. You need mustard grains of two shades (white and black) for 40 g each. Mustard powder is also used in quantities of 40 g. In addition, you need 2 garlic cloves 8 kg of onion-turnips and, l of wine (white, dry varieties). Under the recipe for the preparation of French mustard should also take honey in the amount of 2 tbsp. l, salt (2 h. l) and 1 tbsp. l of olive oil.
- Garlic and onion peel, rinse with water and cut into slices. Put them in a saucepan, pour wine into it and bring to a boil, after putting out a small fire, and after cooking for 5 minutes.
- The resulting liquid should be filtered and allowed to cool. After add salt, honey and give it completely dissolved.
- After pour mustard powder and pour in olive oil and mix thoroughly.
- All the liquid mass is poured into a saucepan, add the grains, mix and put on the stove, after lowering the fire to a minimum. Cook the sauce until thick. It's somewhere 7-10 minutes.
- Ready French mustard is poured into cans, cooled down completely cool and placed in a refrigerator for two days.
French mustard in quick fashion
French mustard has some difference from the usual to us - it contains whole seeds. And their shade can be different. Such mustard is slightly weaker than ours.
If you prefer a more acute option, you can mix two kinds of mustard at once - French and ours.
The proposed recipe for the preparation of French mustard at home implies the use, kg of mustard seed, 3 tbsp. honey and 50 ml of any fruit juice and apple cider vinegar. To bring the taste to the ideal will help the salt.
- Mustard grains are thoroughly washed and poured with vinegar. In this state they are left for a couple of days, after putting them in the refrigerator. After two days, the mustard is taken out, sent to a pot of water. The latter must cover the grains. In addition, you can throw in the neighborhood of sweet pepper peas. Once the water boils, the contents of the pan boil for a minute and remove from the hob.
- When the seeds cool down, put 3 tbsp in a blender bowl. There, fruit juice, salt and honey are added and everything is thoroughly ground to homogeneity. The resulting mass is poured into whole grains. At the same time, the broth is not poured from the seeds, but is left.
- The contents of the pan are thoroughly mixed and sent to the refrigerator for a day. It is necessary for the mustard to brew and reveal all its flavors.
Now you know how the French mustard is prepared in the home. Using it as an ingredient for salad dressings, you will give the dish refinement and emphasize the flavor notes.