The content of the article:
For comfortable work and smooth cuts, not only a high-quality and powerful tool is needed, but also a sharp chain. You can grind it manually with files or a machine for sharpening chain chainsaws. The first method is perfect if you only need to sharpen blunt blades of teeth, without changing anything in them themselves. But if the teeth strongly lost their shape, processing them manually will be difficult and will take a lot of time. Therefore, in this case it is better to use grinding machines, they will help correctly and evenly sharpen all the teeth.
Before using any tools to sharpen chainsaw chains, you must read the instructions, observe the rules of operation and safety.
Types and advantages of machine tools
Sharpening machines are produced manual and automatic, each of them has its positive and negative sides. Manual devices are divided into stationary and mobile. The first are installed on a table or other surface, and the latter directly on the tire of a chainsaw. In the end, you do not need to remove the chain. Mobile machines for sharpening chains chainsaws are fixed to the tire with screws from both sides. On the instrument there is a scale with degree markings, where the desired angle of sharpening is set.
When buying a hand-held machine, it should be noted that the file does not often include files, since their size depends on the type of chain.
Advantages of hand tools:
- the cost is much lower than that of automatic;
- The teeth are honed qualitatively and equally, since the settings are set only once and for the most damaged ones;
- for operation, no connection to the electrical network is required;
- are safe in operation;
- The manual chain has a longer service life than the one that is sharpened on an electric tool.
The main thing is to determine the right angle depending on the purpose of the chain. A table of values of the grinding angles is always attached to quality hand-held machines for sharpening chains chainsaws.
All the teeth must have the same height, so that the load on the chain is distributed evenly. If one of the teeth is markedly lower, the risk that the chain will break at this point is extremely high.
The disadvantages of hand tools can be attributed only a long time to process the rigging.
The electric device for sharpening chains chainsaw looks like a disk saw, but mounted on a frame. On it there is an engine, a handle, a grinding wheel with a protective casing - all together they are called a movable working head. Also on the machine there are screws for adjusting the grinding angles, depth, caliper and chain lock, and on the bottom there is a scale for setting the rear corner.
Advantages of electric machines:
- It will take much less time to sharpen than if done manually;
- with the correct selection of parameters and compliance with the rules of operation, all the teeth will be absolutely identical;
- have compact dimensions and light weight;
- simple operation.
The main drawback is that the chain is faster grinding, than when machining on a hand tool. Do not overload the engine for too long, otherwise it will lead to overheating. Electricity is required for operation.
Buy an automatic machine should be when you need to often process a large number of snap-ins. It is also very necessary for carbide chains, which can not be sharpened with a manual set for sharpening chainsaw chain.
Technology of sharpening and how to find out what you need to sharpen the chain
The signs by which it can be determined that the teeth have become blunt:
- The chainsaw vibrates violently, gets stuck and tries to escape from the hands;
- time for sawing is required more than usual;
- increased fuel consumption;
- the shavings became shallow.
The earlier the treatment is carried out, the less it is necessary to remove the metal, which means the chain will last much longer.
Before you start, you need to select the smallest tooth. All parameters are adjusted to it so that all the teeth are the same.
A step-by-step instruction on how to sharpen a chain on an automatic machine with your own hands:
- Unscrew the clamping screw, and it is removed from the chainsaw;
- The chain is mounted in the holder (rotary support), so that the links are directed towards the grinding wheel.
- The required degree of the rear angle of the upper blade (50 ° or 60 ° depending on its type) is selected.
- The chain lock (blade) is adjusted so that it rests against the sharpened prong.
- By marking the scale with degrees, the angle of sharpening the chainsaw chain is set. It ranges from 25 ° to 35 °, and can also be equal to 10 ° for equipment intended for longitudinal sawing of wood.
- Smoothly lower the head with the grinding disk on the chain and with the help of the screw the depth of sharpening is regulated.
- The head rises and after all the screws are firmly tightened, the device is started.
- Slowly lowering the grinding wheel and sharpening the tooth a few short strokes so that the metal does not overheat.
- First, the grinding is carried out on one side, and then the support rotates and the chain is processed with the second.
Once all the chain teeth are sharpened, carefully clean it of chips and dust, and then lower it into the oil. This will significantly extend its service life.
After sharpening the teeth, check the depth stops. On most types of chains, the distance between their upper edge and the tooth is 5 mm. The limiter influences the depth of the cutting of the teeth into the wood, therefore, for a high-quality and comfortable work it is necessary to monitor its value.
How to choose a machine
When choosing a tool, you should pay attention to its power and the number of revolutions per minute, as well as the diameter of the grinding wheel, since it determines the purpose of the assignment. The speed of rotation affects the performance of the tool. For home use, devices with 3000 rpm are suitable, and for processing a large number of chains, you should purchase a machine more powerful - 4800-7500 rpm.
Similarly, with power, if you plan to use it only a few times in a month, then it's better to take an average power, then it will not experience heavy loads and will last longer.
The price of grinding machine for chain saw chains depends on its characteristics and configuration (availability protective screen against sparks, head rotation, cooling system, automatic clamping of the vice and so Further). You should not buy cheap models, especially if they are completely made of ordinary plastic.