According to the proverb, “live” fire is one of the phenomena that each of us is ready to admire endlessly. But if in a private house you can really make a real wood fire, then in an apartment you can only count on its electrical counterpart with imitation of a flame.
But that was before biofuel fireplaces entered our lives. Consider the principle of operation of these devices and several nuances that are important in the selection and further operation.
The content of the article:
How does biofireplace work?
- Design features of the device
- The advantages and disadvantages of ekokaminov
Classification of biofuel fireplaces
- By way of installation
- According to the shape of the body
- What to look for when choosing?
- What is biofuel?
- Rules for the safe operation of the fireplace
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
How does biofireplace work?
Unlike wood foci, Ekokaminy wear more decorative function - although when the flame burns and heat is released, but it is not enough for full heating of the room.
Biopribory do not need a chimney, hood and other additional elements, threatening to turn the installation of the accessory into a new repair.
A fireplace can be selected for a room for any purpose and interior design - manufacturers offer a wide range of models of various shapes, sizes and colors
They work on liquid fuel, which gives a beautiful fire with even "tongues" of flame.
Design features of the device
Ekokamina - a fairly simple device, which consists of three main components - fuel block, burner and body of non-flammable material (usually glass, heat-resistant plastic or metal). Most often, the devices also have a backlight, a protective screen and a flame control regulator.
The fuel unit is the most important element of the design, which can be represented by a small tank with fuel supply or an open container with a burner
Automated systems are also equipped with a remote control unit to control the device from a remote control, mobile phone or tablet.
And also a lot of nice additions, for example:
- LED informative display, which displays data on the current state of the device, possible failures, the presence of fuel in the tank;
- automatic ignition and quenching;
- cooling system with built-in fan;
- sensors monitoring temperature, fuel, and even carbon dioxide and humidity in the room;
- child lock function;
- the ability to connect to Wi-Fi and the systemSmart House».
The principle of operation of the device is as follows: the fuel is poured into the tank or an open container, the burner is ignited and "gives out" the flame, until the fuel is consumed. But much depends on the technical equipment of the fireplace.
Simple instruments will require "manual" ignition and control over the level of the flame in the burner. You will also have to extinguish the fire yourself - with the help of a special poker or damper.
To start / stop working automated fireplace, just turn on the corresponding button on the control panel.
Automation provides the maximum level of comfort and safety for the home, but also increases the cost of the device itself and its repair in the event of a breakdown
The specificity of the device is that the flames are formed not directly from the combustion of fuel, but only from its vapors, which are fed to the burner through the discharge channel. And since the fire burns without smoke and smell, there is no need to build drainage channels, and the heat generated by the device completely remains in the room.
But, despite the high rate of efficiency, it is impossible to use ecofirestone as the main source of heating - the power is not the same.
An important component of the device - decorative elements. These are usually ceramics, colored glass, pebbles, mirrors and other refractory materials with which the device can both reliably portray a classic hearth, as well as become an ultrafashionable highlight of the urban interior.
The advantages and disadvantages of ekokaminov
Unlike wood and gas foci, most biofireplaces (other than built-in fireplaces) are mobile devices and have small dimensions.
Therefore, they can be installed in almost any room of the house and even carried to the open air - for example, a terrace, a balcony or a territory near the summer cottage.
Portable biofireplaces can also be used for promotional purposes, for example, to decorate the lighting of interior or landscape elements, to unobtrusively emphasize the high status of the establishment
Pluses of the device:
- Versatility - there is no such interior where the home fireplace with beautiful petals of a flame where would fit.
- Easy installation - the device can be embedded in furniture or purchase a mobile structure, in any case, the installation does not require special knowledge and skills.
- Easy operation - biofireplaces will not require maintenance of chimneys, laundering of multi-layered soot, firewood and other labor-intensive maintenance. In order for the hearth to work, it is enough to fill it with special fuel in time and periodically clean the burner with a soft rag.
- No need to issue an installation permit - for installation of biocenter, it is not necessary to start long-term negotiations with the fire inspectorate and other services, as when constructing a gas or wood analogue. It is enough to follow the safety rules when choosing a place and subsequent operation of an open flame, and you will not have any complaints from the controlling authorities.
- Beneficial effects on the psyche - “living” flame is associated with warmth and tranquility, it relaxes and adjusts to rest, which is not the last thing at the bustling rhythm of modern life.
As for the minuses, the most global of them is the impressive cost of both the equipment itself and biofuels, the reserves of which will have to be constantly replenished. But if you are willing to pay for the opportunity to decorate your interior with a spectacular twist - consider the options for various models.
Classification of biofuel fireplaces
On the modern market there is a huge variety of eco-fires, therefore, with the choice of the desired shape, design and color range, even the most demanding customers will not have problems.
But the choice of the device should be based not only on the spectacular view, but also on the availability of free space, because one thing to acquire A compact mobile device that can be moved or hidden if necessary, and a completely different one - a fixed center with portal.
By way of installation
In the simplest version, a biofireplace is a small tabletop device that can place on any horizontal surface, as long as it is sufficiently stable and wide. Its main advantages are mobility, compactness, low fuel consumption and affordable price.
A desktop fireplace can be a stylish accessory in a study or a symbol of a home hearth with which you can have a romantic evening.
Wall - devices with a closed rear wall (sometimes with ends) and a transparent facade. They are most similar to the classic chimney portals, but can be decorated in both historical and modern styles.
Such devices will not take up much space, as they are closely leaned against a wall or other vertical surface.
The portal of a wall fireplace can be decorated with brick or marble tiles, supplemented with a shelf, grating, ceramic logs, and it will become indistinguishable from a wood hearth
Freestanding - beautiful, spectacular, but rather overall devices that will be larger appropriate in spacious rooms, although if desired, you can choose a fairly compact rectangular model.
Such devices allow you to admire the fire from all sides, for which the body is most often performed from transparent thermoplastic or glass, and can be moved using roller wheels embedded in foot.
Fireplaces are fixed with special mounts to the ceiling or wall, which gives the modern interior a special charm and originality.
Recessed - appliances that can be installed in any niche of a suitable size, whether it be a wall, floor, column, or a recess in furniture.
Depending on the destination, you can choose a device with a vertical or horizontal torch.
Built-in biofireplaces look great in tandem with various devices - a TV, stove or brass wardrobe, but can also be a separate designer touch, focusing attention on non-standard layout premises
In a separate subgroup can be allocated outdoor fireplaces. Such devices are often mobile, so that you can rearrange them to any convenient place and clean the room during bad weather. But there are stationary models embedded in the walls of houses, pedestals or pedestals.
Outdoor fireplaces are more intended for commercial use in restaurants or entertainment centers, although they can be installed in the local area. Their "trick" - enhanced protection against moisture and unexpected fire extinguishing by wind or rain.
This may be a special design of the burner, supplemented with absorbent fibers, or a collapsible body with the ability to open / close the lid or raise the wall.
According to the shape of the body
Most often the fireplace burner is enclosed in rectangular or square case. This allows you to place the device more compactly and to give maximum similarity with the usual furnace.
Non-standard forms are especially in demand for interiors designed in urban and outrageous design, but for restrained styles the traditional portal will be the best choice.
But there are other options:
- Corner fireplace - triangular shape allows you to install the device in any free angle, which is very convenient for rooms of small size.
- Fire strip - a fashionable novelty with several fuel blocks and a narrow burner, the length of which can reach 1.5 meters. It looks especially impressive on a bar counter, in a wall niche or floor podium.
- Ball - spherical fireplace can be suspended or outdoor, but in any case it will not go unnoticed.
- Candle or torch - narrow devices with a rectangular or cylindrical body and a powerful column of flame are in demand in modern interiors and landscape design.
- Open fire - in some models, the flame is not enclosed under the dome of the case, but only enclosed with protective glass around the perimeter or only from the front side. It looks, of course, spectacularly, but the fire hazard of the device increases significantly.
Compact devices designed for tables or other surfaces in the area of "medium height" attract attention due to the original decor. The burner is used here the most common, most often round, so the emphasis is on non-standard design. This may be a plate filled with small pebbles or a beautiful glass from which the flame escapes.
What to look for when choosing?
Although most often buyers are guided by the appearance of the device and its compliance with the interior design, you should not lose sight of the technical characteristics of the device.
The longer the fireplace burner, the more space it can heat, and if you plan to use the device as an additional source of heat, consider options with a capacity of 3 kW or more.
- Bio Fireplace Power - varies from 1 to 7 kW. The higher this figure, the greater the heat transfer from the device, as well as the brighter the flame and the higher the column of fire. But the consumption of expensive fuel increases in proportion.
- Fuel tank capacity - from 50 ml to 9 liters. Of course, a device with a capacious capacity lasts longer without refueling, but since the unspent it is not recommended to leave the liquid in the device, it is worthwhile to estimate the actual operation time before purchasing fireplace.
- Burner material - for safe operation of the device, this element must be made of high-quality stainless steel with a thickness of 3-5 mm or ceramics.
- Double circuit burner - provides additional thermal insulation and controls the fuel level. For example, if you pour a lot of fuel, its excess will “go” to the second circuit and will be spent only after the first liquid burns.
But the fuel consumption, which is often of interest to buyers - the value is very conditional, because much depends on the power of the device, the size of its tank and a given flame strength. In an hour, a medium-sized fireplace can consume from 350 ml to 1 liter of combustible mixture, therefore many manufacturers indicate either a “fork” of the flow rate, or the required minimum for starting.
What is biofuel?
Ecomamines are designed to work with special combustible compounds derived from recycling. biological waste or made on the basis of vegetable raw materials. It gives a beautiful “living” flame without sparking, smells, soot and smoke.
The most common type of fuel is denatured ethanol. Additionally, it is enriched with special additives that paint the fire in a warm orange color.
And for those who want to enjoy the full illusion of a fire with the characteristic crackle of firewood, there are special biogels, which include sea salt.
Ecofuel is sold in the form of a liquid or gel-like gel in jars, bottles or cans with a capacity of from 1 to 5 liters, and the compositions can be flavored or neutral
The composition of industrial eco-fuel should be at least 95% bioethanol, 3-4% water and 1-2% of various additives. (for example, methyletiketon or bitrex), which prevent the mixture from splitting into water and alcohol and give a beautiful flame color.
To find the right fuel for your fireplace, focus on heating output. fuel (on average, the combustion of 1 liter produces about 6.5 kW / h of heat) and a certificate quality.
Although ordinary alcohol can be used as a fuel for the fireplace, its bluish flame cannot be compared with the warm fire characteristic of burning wood that bioethanol produces.
But if you want a mixture for refueling, you can do it yourself.
For this you will need:
- Purified 96 percent ethyl alcohol with a colorless flame - 1 liter.
- Gasoline with a high octane number, for example, “Kalosh” (a simple car will not work - a characteristic odor will be emitted when burning) - 50 ml.
- Aromatic additives from essential oils (optional) - 5-7 drops.
Then you need to mix the liquid in the specified proportions, shake until a homogeneous mass and pour into the burner or the fuel unit.
The disadvantage of this method is that the combustible composition is suitable for use only immediately after preparation, to make a reserve for long-term storage will not work - the mixture will separate.
Read more about the types of fuel for bio fireplace this material.
Rules for the safe operation of the fireplace
Although manufacturers have tried to make the device as safe as possible for home use, there is still a certain list of rules that it is important for owners of ekokamin to follow.
The simplest thing is not to leave the working center unattended and not to install it near flammable ones. items such as curtains, under hangers with clothes, wooden or plastic shelves, and flammable accessories.
Do not forget that in spite of its decorative accent and the presence of a protective screen, the bio-fireplace remains a device with an open flame, which means it is a potentially dangerous device.
In addition to the obvious rules, there are specific nuances, for example:
- Install the device only on a safe and as flat surface as possible to prevent accidental tipping (by the way, in expensive devices have a special flatness sensor that will help determine the curvature of the surface as well as the construction level).
- Fill biofuel only in the cooled idle device and never replenish stocks in the combustion process.
- If the combustible mixture is poured during refueling, wipe this place immediately dry to avoid self-ignition.
- Use only heat-resistant accessories for decoration, for example, stones, metal, glass or ceramic models.
- Control the level of fuel in the tank and try to fill the fluid for exactly one use, otherwise the residue of ethanol will poison the air in your home with its vapors.
- To light a fire, use a special metal lighter for fireplaces with a long handle.
And the last - do not forget about ventilation. Although the fireplace does not require an exhaust and does not evaporate harmful substances, carbon dioxide is released when any flame burns.
Be sure to ventilate the room after using the device and replenish the burnt oxygen stores.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
To navigate in the upcoming selection, we offer to look at several reviews about the device of biofireplaces and evaluate how they look in the interior. And for craftsmen who are accustomed to working with their own hands - a small bonus about the method of making a homemade device.
In this video you can visually get acquainted with the principle of operation of a simple bio fireplace:
What to look for when choosing a device:
How to make a burner for bio fireplace
Fireplaces have long become the personification of home coziness and comfortable rest, and with the advent of biofuel appliances, each of us can decorate our homes with a beautiful home.
And if there is a desire to save on an expensive purchase, it is quite feasible to make the body and the burner and do it yourself. But if you want your fireplace to work under all safety rules, contact the professionals who will help with the choice of the model and its installation.
Do you have any questions regarding the article? Or found flaws in the material presented? Leave your comments, share experiences, ask questions in the block below.