In a modern refrigerator, there may be various breakages - often users complain of extraneous sounds when the equipment works. The cause can be both minor problems - incorrect installation, and a serious malfunction. It may even be necessary to replace the relay in the refrigerator.
The cost of such repairs in the service center is rather large, so we will tell you how to perform the replacement yourself.
Content of the material:
- 1Signs of failure of the start relay
- 2Principle of operation and types of relays
Signs of failure of the start relay
How to understand that the relay is broken?
If you hear clicks when starting the motor, and the compressor itself is immediately disconnected after starting, the cause may be in the malfunction of the trigger. When inspecting the parts, you can see burnt contacts and terminals. In this case, the part needs to be replaced.
To properly conduct it, you need to understand how the relay works.
Principle of operation and types of relays
A start-up relay is used to turn the engine on and off. When the motor is gaining the necessary speed, the coil must be disconnected, and in order for it to occur in a timely manner, a relay is installed. When the power supply increases, the contacts of the start-up relay are compressed, which leads to the start of the compressor. When the electricity drops, the contacts are released - the motor shuts down.
There are two main types of starter relay:
- The trigger mechanism in the form of a tablet. Made of a material that expands when heated. When the temperature reaches a maximum, the contacts in the mechanism open, leaving the coil. To maintain a constant temperature on the winding, a choke is used. In case of a malfunction, a device of this type changes position, a sound of scattered powder is heard.
- Induction starting relay. When the current is applied to the electromagnets, the contacts are closed, during the gradual decrease in the current, the contacts are released.
Sometimes a relay with a bimetallic plate is encountered, which bends when electricity is applied, closing the contacts.
Before replacement, check that the purchased spare part corresponds to the type of compressor, as well as the make and model of the refrigerator ("Stinol "Biryusa "Atlant "Indesit" and others). How much is the detail, you can find out on the Internet.
It must be taken into account that the installation of the part by the type of attachment to the compressor may be different. There are two types of fastening:
- The start relay DXR works with the type of engine DXM. The part is fixed to the fixed frame.
- The type of RTP can be attached to the wire. Its operating current is lower than the previous version.
If you have already selected the right part for replacement, you need to study the stages of work. Repair is carried out equally for brands such as Nord, Ariston, Indesit, Stinol:
- Disconnect the refrigerator from the mains immediately.
- Unscrew the screw to disconnect the hose from the back of the case.
- Unscrew the screws that hold the rear panel of the compressor.
- Remove the panel to the side.
- Using pliers, remove the start relay clips.
- Disconnect the faulty relay from the motor-compressor.
- Unclip the clamp to disconnect the wiring from the part.
- Take the new part and install it in the reverse order.
In some models, the trigger is bolted to the body. In this case, they need to be unscrewed.
Also with their own hands it is possible to replace the thermostat, which serves to regulate the temperature. The part is located outside or inside the refrigerator. All you need to do is remove the protective case by unscrewing the screws. After disconnecting the sensor from the housing, it is necessary to separate the tube from the evaporator and remove the wiring.
Sometimes, instead of replacing a part, only its repair is required. For example, when contacts are oxidized, it is enough to clean them to make everything work again.
It is not difficult to perform independent repairs if you consistently understand everything. So you can save a lot on replacement. However, if you are not sure that you will cope with the task, it is better to contact the master, so as not to jeopardize the work of the refrigerator.