The content of the article:
Modern landscape design is a whole science. And even if you have never studied it, you will know it as an expert if your garden is adorned with the magnificent Thuya West Smaragd. This decorative, evergreen plant, in appearance resembling cypress, quite unpretentious in the care and easy to plant. Below, we will tell you about the western Smaragd all the most useful and interesting.
Description and characteristics of an evergreen plant
Thuya western Smaragd (description) is a monoecious evergreen plant with a dense and narrow pyramidal crown with bright green needles. The tree is an ornamental plant, which means that it is the place on the natural or artificial landscape. The hedge of Tui Smaragd looks royal, and depends on you, make it slim and uniform, or allow each tree to grow in its own way, preserving its primordial nature.
The characteristics and characteristics of the western Tuva Smaragd will help you to better know this amazing plant:
- The height of the adult Smuragd tuja usually varies from 4 to 6 m, and the untreated width is up to 2 meters.
- The average life expectancy is 110-130 years. If we talk about how fast grows Thuya Smaragd, then on average, a year the tree grows no more than 20 cm in length, and 4-5 cm in width.
- Tuy West Smaragd is one of the most popular representatives of the cypress family.
- The tree has the shape of an elongated cone with a pronounced crown and a dense coniferous coating. It is very pliable, thanks to which landscape designers like to give it different sculptural forms.
- Tui Smaragd is an evergreen plant, which means that it will remain so even in winter and after a hundred years.
- In the spring, the thuja blooms with small oblong brown knobs, which fall off with the onset of autumn colds.
- Thuya feels great even in the conditions of Russian cold winters, since it has an enviable frost resistance.
- The tree grows on any Russian soil and requires minimal maintenance.
- Tui grows not only in the garden and vegetable garden, but also in the city. A polluted environment does not adversely affect the maturation of this tree.
- Tuya western Smaragd actively releases phytoncids, especially during the flowering period, which cleans the air and saturates it with useful substances.
- The plant looks equally impressive in the form of a single planting, and in a hedge.
- Tui Smaragd Western is most often divided into 2 main subspecies: thuya with green color and thuya with golden color.
Now you know the description of the photo of the western part of Smaragd, and you can easily distinguish it from other species.
Features of correct planting
If you follow our advice and recommendations in detail, you will notice that the independent planting and care of Tuya Smaragh, the photo of which is presented below, is very simple. The most important thing you have to do before landing is this:
- choose healthy, fresh seedlings;
- carefully select good cuttings;
- choose a place for tui (it is desirable that it grows freely).
Preparing for planting
First of all, decide how you will plant the western part of Smaragd. There are 2 options here: either you will acquire seedlings of a special kind in plant nurseries, or you plant a tree with the help of cuttings. The first method is the simplest, but quite expensive, but you will save a lot of time. The second option will cost you much cheaper. To do this you will need two-year shoots of thuya. They have to take root, after which they will be ready for planting.
As for the finished seedlings, which are usually sold in small bags, they should be carefully inspected before purchasing.
If the needles of seedlings have a pale green appearance, they should be put aside. Also note that the root system of the seedling should be fully developed and of medium size.
When choosing a place for planting tui start from the following points:
- A place in the open sun is not the best place for Tui Smaragd. It can get burned due to a permanent lack of moisture.
- A place in the shade is also unfavorable for the plant, as it can die.
- The best place for planting is a moderate penumbra. Try to choose a site protected from drafts and wind.
The process of planting a tree
Now that you have chosen a place for planting, good seedlings and cuttings, it's time to start planting. You will grow a beautiful and healthy tree-long-liver, if you follow our advice advisable:
- The best period for planting a tree is the end of May or the beginning of June. Plant trees in the fall are not recommended, if the early frosts hit, then the seedlings can not survive and die.
- We talked about the fact that thuja is taking root in any soil. But for the tree to grow healthy and fluffy, the soil must be prepared with a drainage system. The ideal option for drainage under thuja is drainage from a 15 cm layer of gravel or crushed brick.
- Dig a hole, commensurate with the size of the root system of your seedling. The depth of one meter will be quite sufficient.
- Do not forget to prepare a special mixture. To do this, carefully mix the following "ingredients soddy soil, deciduous soil, sand and peat (or peat deposits).
- To accelerate the growth of Tuva western Smaragd it is possible with the help of manure or compost waste. Do not forget about mineral fertilizers.
- Properly moisten the pit with water, filled with earth. Moisture is extremely necessary for a young tree.
- In the prepared zone plant a ready sapling or created stem together with a lump of earth, and which they grow.
- Pay attention to the fact that the root collar of the seedling should be strictly located at ground level.
If you want to plant a hedge, and not a single plant, then keep in mind that the distance from one tree to another should be at least 50 cm, but not more than 1 m.
As you can see, landing Tui Smaragd is very simple. Now that you know how to properly plant a thuju. You can grow an entire hedge.
Features of care for an evergreen plant
We talked about the fact that tuya requires minimal care. Even if you leave the tree to grow without your help, it will still grow and be green, but outwardly it will not look as good as it could, and the lifespan, rather, is reduced to 50-70 years old.
A healthy flowering plant will please you for many years with careful care:
- Systematic watering. Tuya West Smaragd is very fond of moisture and does not tolerate soil desiccation. In summer, water must be watered at least once a week, and in all other seasons it will be enough 1-2 times a month. The tree will be grateful to you if you periodically sprinkle it with water, thereby eliminating dust deposits and various small insects.
- Look after the soil and the earth around the plant. Remove the weeds, destroy the nests of insects. First, it will support the aesthetics of your planting, and secondly, so you saturate the earth with oxygen, and thus contribute to a more rapid development of the plant;
- Do not forget to periodically loosen the ground. This is very important for providing the root system with oxygen. Pay attention: that it is necessary to loosen a little and very carefully, because you remember that you planted a thin not deep.
- It is important to mulch the land once a year with the addition of peat and bark.
- Feed the plant with fertilizers 2 times a season.
- Periodically cut your tree. Accurate sanitary trim will help you get rid of dry shoots. Use only sharp pruners for gentle pruning.
- Close your trees, standing in the heat of the sun with a thin veil.
Pests and diseases of Tui
Tuya, like an ornamental plant, is often exposed to insect attacks and certain diseases. Here are the most common of them:
- Fungal infection. It is easily distinguishable by brown shoots and yellow needles. Cut the affected shoots as soon as notice them and burn. And then, sprinkle all of that with a foundation.
- Touiva aphid. This infection can ruin the entire tree. Destroy the aphids and heal the tree with carbofos.
- Lozhnoshchytovka. This disease is also easy to recognize by the presence on the needles of a build-up similar to cones. To eliminate the infection, use the preparations of rogor and carbofos.
- Disease of the tree due to the drying of the soil or because of excessive watering. Both of these will contribute to the rapid decay of the soil, after which the tree inevitably perishes.
Perhaps, this is all the diseases of Tui Smaragd.
Photo of Tui Western Smaragd in landscape design
If you still doubt that this tree is what you need, then we offer you a selection of photos of Thuya Smaragd in landscape design.